Did you know that mirrors were first made from polished volcanic glass?
Mirrors have definitely made a place in our daily routines. They are also an object that is commonly linked to superstitions.
When we rise above the literary outlook of mirrors, they quickly become a symbol of reflection, beauty, and contemplation. Be it the iconic mirror used by the Evil Queen or the mirror in Oscar Wilde's 'The Picture Of Dorian Gray,' mirrors have repeatedly been connected to the notion of beauty. Hence, these quotes about mirrors and love and beauty will help you have a perfect reflection of your hidden beauty.
Best Quotes About Mirrors And Reflections From Literature
Let us appreciate the role of mirrors in our lives. Seldom is an object found that can reflect our strengths like a mirror. You should love mirrors as they provide the power to make yourself better. So, these quotes from literature will help you think about the way you see yourself in the mirror.
1. "Beauty is eternity gazing at itself in a mirror.
But you are eternity and you are the mirror."
‒ Khalil Gibran.
2. "Beauty is truth's smile when she beholds her own face in a perfect mirror."
‒ Rabindranath Tagore, 'Firelies'.
3. "The trees are in their autumn beauty,
The woodland paths are dry,
Under the October twilight the water
Mirrors a still sky."
‒ W. B. Yeats.
4. "Awareness is a mirror reflecting the four elements."
‒ Nhat Hanh.
5. "There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it."
‒ Edith Wharton.
6. "Whatever may be their use in civilized societies, mirrors are essential to all violent and heroic action."
‒ Virginia Woolf, 'A Room Of One's Own'.
7. "Smile in the mirror. Do that every morning and you'll start to see a big difference in your life."
‒ Yoko Ono.
8. "If you find the mirror of the heart dull, the rust has not been cleared from its face."
9. "To live without mirrors is to live without the self."
‒ Margaret Atwood.
10. "The world is a great mirror. It reflects back to you what you are."
‒ Thomas Dreier.
11. "A little reflection will show us that every belief, even the simplest and most fundamental, goes beyond experience when regarded as a guide to our actions."
‒ William Kingdon Clifford, 'The Ethics Of Belief'.
12. "I am silver and exact. I have no preconceptions.
Whatever I see I swallow immediately
Just as it is, unmisted by love or dislike."
‒ Sylvia Plath, 'Mirror'.
13. "For I do not exist: there exist but the thousands of mirrors that reflect me. With every acquaintance I make, the population of phantoms resembling me increases."
‒ Vladimir Nabokov.
14. "A book is a mirror: if an ape looks into it an apostle is hardly likely to look out."
‒ Georg Christoph Lichtenberg.
15. "Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you."
‒ Carlos Ruiz Zafón, ‘The Shadow Of The Wind’.
16. "Life is a mirror and will reflect back to the thinker what he thinks into it."
‒ Ernest Holmes, 'The Science Of Mind'.
17. "A man has only one escape from his old self: to see a different self — in the mirror of some woman's eyes."
‒ Clare Boothe Luce, 'The Women'.
18. "Behaviour is a mirror in which everyone shows his image."
‒ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
19. "If you are irritated by every rub,
how will your mirror be polished?"
20. "Oh, if only we could lean over the soul we love and see as in a mirror the image we cast there!"
‒ André Gide, ‘Strait Is The Gate’.
Mirror Quotes About Reflection
Mirrors have long been used as a symbol for reflections. Just like your beauty reflects into a mirror, our heart searches for reflection of the soul. Here are some reflection mirror quotes that you can think about the next time you look in the mirror.
21. "Without reflection, we go blindly on our way, creating more unintended consequences, and failing to achieve anything useful."
- Margaret J. Wheatley.
22. "Hold up a mirror and ask yourself what you are capable of doing, and what you really care about."
‒ Sylvia Earle.
23. "Mirrors should think longer before they reflect."
‒ Jean Cocteau.
24. "That person you see in the mirror is your reflection, it shows that even if everybody ignore you it will always stick around with you."
‒ Usman Ismaheel.
25. "Your grief for what you've lost lifts a mirror up to where you're bravely working."
26. "His own image... was no longer the reflection of a clumsy, dirty, gray bird, ugly and offensive. He himself was a swan!"
‒ Hans Christian Andersen.
27. "The world is a looking-glass, and gives back to every man the reflection of his own face."
‒ William Makepeace Thackeray.
28. "And since you know you cannot see yourself, so well as by reflection, I, your glass, will modestly discover to yourself, that of yourself which you yet know not of."
‒ William Shakespeare.
29. "The best thing is to follow your instincts without too much reflection."
‒ Albert Einstein.
30. "Accurate drawing, accurate colour, is perhaps not the essential thing to aim at, because the reflection of reality in a mirror, if it could be caught, colour and all, would not be a picture at all, no more than a photograph."
‒ Vincent Van Gogh.
Inspirational Beauty Quotes
When we think about mirror quotes, the concept of beauty can't be far behind. A mirror is often used in tune with the concept of beauty. Here are some mirror quotes that can be connected to beauty. Read them and you will absolutely love them.
31. "A woman whose smile is open and whose expression is glad has a kind of beauty no matter what she wears."
‒ Anne Roiphe.
32. "Beauty in things exists in the mind which contemplates them."
‒ David Hume.
33. "I used to look in the mirror and feel shame, I look in the mirror now and I absolutely love myself."
‒ Drew Barrymore.
34. "Inner beauty should be the most important part of improving one's self."
‒ Priscilla Presley.
35. "Youth is happy because it has the ability to see beauty."
‒ Franz Kafka.
36. "Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
‒ Rosalind Russell.
37. "Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears."
‒ Edgar Allan Poe.
38. "The beauty we love is very silent. It smiles softly to itself, but never speaks."
‒ Richard Le Gallienne.
39. "Real beauty is to be true to oneself. That's what makes me feel good."
‒ Laetitia Casta.
40. "Beauty is power; a smile is its sword."
‒ John Ray.
Quotes To Use With Mirror Selfies
Mirror selfies have turned out to be such sensations. If you are a regular social media user, these quotes will help caption any mirror image you think about posting. Post these mirror quotes with confidence as your mirror selfie captions. Look no further searching for mirror quotes and captions for your beautiful mirror images.
41. "I love mirrors. They let one pass through the surface of things."
‒ Claude Chabrol.
42. "The mirror is my best friend because when I cry it never laughs."
‒ Charlie Chaplin.
43. "Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?"
‒ 'Snow White And The Seven Dwarves'.
44. "Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself."
‒ Coco Chanel.
45. "But first, let me take a selfie."
‒ The Chainsmokers, '#SELFIE'.
46. "Gorgeous hair is the best revenge."
‒ Ivana Trump.
47. "Beauty itself is but the sensible image of the Infinite."
‒ Francis Bacon.
48. "Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."
‒ Anne Frank.
49. "Mirrors show us what we look like, not who we are."
50. "If you're still looking for that one person who will change your life, take a look in the mirror."
51. "The person in the mirror is your only competition."
52. "Life is like a mirror, we get the best results when we smile."
*Do you know where this quote originated? Please email us to let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for quotes about mirrors then why not take a look at [quotes on reflections], or quotes about knowing yourself.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.