Roots are the most vital part of the trees, providing the tree with water and nutrients from the soil, and are also the most meaningful.
The roots of a tree nourish the trees and help them grow. The same thing goes for a human.
A person who knows where they are from, what their roots are, will always grow bigger and go higher in their life. The quote "It is in the roots, not the branches, that a tree’s greatest strength lies." by Matshona Dhliwayo explains this with beauty. The roots feed a tree the important nutrients and vitamins along with water to the whole tree. Basically, the tree exists only because of the roots. If the roots rot or cut, the tree eventually dies.
Similarly, if a person knows their roots, the essence of their existence, nobody can ever make them feel worthless. The best thing that every author, artist, and person can do is fly high, but for that, there need to be strong roots to know where they are from, what they are capable of doing, and what makes them them.
To inspire you and motivate you, we have collected roots quotes from different authors like Victor Hugo, Michael Beckwith, Matshona Dhliwayo, and more. These roots quotes will show you to have strong roots and wings that you need to grow bigger in life.
Best Roots Quotes
Here, you will find some of the best roots quotes, including roots and wings quotes, that will tell you how strong roots can help you grow tall and with the wings to fly high on your own. The strong roots of the person can produce such a great sense of responsibility and beauty in a person that cannot be taken away by anyone ever.
1. "It is in the roots, not the branches, that a tree’s greatest strength lies."
- Matshona Dhliwayo.
2. "The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence."
- Denis Waitley.
3. "A person without the knowledge of their past history, origin, and culture is like a tree without roots."
- Marcus Garvey.
4. "God judges a tree by its fruits and not by its roots."
- Paulo Coelho.
5. "A tree torn from its roots dies, a man begins to live."
- Marty Rubin.
6. "Roots! You stay on the path to avoid the roots, Lilly!"
- Ellie Elisabeth.
7. "Trees are the earth's endless effort to speak to the listening heaven."
- Rabindranath Tagore.
8. "Roots are nice, but a tree can’t run."
- Andrew Vachss.
9. "Coincidence means only a connection that's not seen. Roots meet underground."
- Charlotte Armstrong.
10. "The people deny their past won’t have a secure and strong future."
- Ali Rezavand Zayeri.
11. "A bush with strong roots stands better than a tree with weak ones."
- Matshona Dhliwayo.
12. "Roots are not in landscape or a country, or a people, they are inside you."
- Isabel Allende.
13. "I'm like a tree. My leaves might change color, but my roots are the same."
- Rose Namajunas.
14. "No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell."
- Carl Jung.
15. "I'll never forget where I'm from, never forget my roots. It doesn't matter where I live. I'm English, simple as that."
- David Beckham.
16. "If we surrendered to earth’s intelligence we could rise up rooted like trees."
- Rainer Maria Rilke.
17. "Love the trees until their leaves fall off, then encourage them to try again next year."
- Chad Sugg.
18. "The first notes I still play when I start a sound check are classical. Those are my roots."
- Andrew Bird.
19. “If we are the trees, words are our roots; and we grow as we write”
― Munia Khan.
20. "I don't think, to be a traveler, you have to reject setting roots up."
- Mat Kearney.
21. "If you know where you are from, it will be harder for people to stop you where you are going."
- Matshona Dhliwayo.
22. "Maybe you are searching among the branches for what only appears in the roots."
23. "There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings."
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
24. "The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world."
- Paul Farmer.
25. "Loyalty to the true, core values and roots of democracy is what makes a true patriot, not loyalty to a symbol of the country."
- Cindy Sheehan.
26. "I’m not sure which matters more—where the seed comes from, or where it takes root and grows."
- Zetta Elliott.
27. "He who plants a tree plants hope."
- Lucy Larcom.
28. "Watching everyone root through their psyche, it just delights me. Especially R. Crumb's stuff."
- Alison Bechdel.
Quotes About Trees And Roots
The soul of the person is rooted in the place where there is love and freedom. Strong wings, deep roots, and wisdom as the age grows old, are all the things that make the soul grow. Here are some roots quotes to help you make your roots grow deeper and to tell you how much the roots matter.
29. "If art is to nourish the roots of our culture, society must set the artist free to follow his vision wherever it takes him."
- John F. Kennedy.
30. "The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit."
- Nelson Henderson.
31. "If a tree has strong roots, not even the strongest hands can pluck it from where it stands."
- Matshona Dhliwayo.
32. "The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet."
33. "Nobody roots for Goliath."
- Wilt Chamberlain.
34. "Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light."
- Theodore Roethke.
35. "To have real success and roots in a society, there has to be a local champion, and hence we believe in identifying a local entrepreneur."
- Masayoshi Son.
36. "Of course things change course, but in the end, they circle back to the source."
- Drishti Bablani.
37. "Trees are poems that earth writes upon the sky, We fell them down and turn them into paper, That we may record our emptiness."
- Khalil Gibran.
38. "Roots is not just a saga of my family. It is the symbolic saga of a people."
- Alex Haley.
39. "I think it is important to maintain your personality, your roots, very important."
- Paz Vega.
40. "Even if something is left undone, everyone must take time to sit still and watch the leaves turn."
- Elizabeth Lawrence.
41. "Sometimes your roots are dug so deep that even if you want to escape, it doesn’t let you."
- Amaranthine Poetry.
42. "Water your roots, so your soul can blossom."
43. "I'm very proud of my roots, and I would never try not to be who I am."
- Rebecca Ferguson.
44. "Grow deep roots to harvest rich fruit! When your roots run deep, you cannot help but bear the fruit of the Spirit."
- Michael Beckwith.
45. "Roots to know where home is, wings to fly away and exercise what's been taught them."
46. "For a tree without a past is like a man without roots; and unless we stand in rich soil, our leaves will blow like blossom into the night."
- Richard Ayoade.
47. "Though a tree grows so high, the falling leaves return to the root."
- Malay proverb.
48. "He sprang from the grassroots of the country clubs of America."
- Alice Roosevelt Longworth.
49. "The goodness of the world grew like moss in cracks, she thought. It grew, somehow, with hidden roots, nourished by something unseen."
- K. J. Bishop.
50. "Finland is officially the world’s happiest country. It is also 75 percent forest. I believe these facts are related."
- Matt Haig.
51. "Give the ones you love wings to fly, roots to come back, and reasons to stay."
- Dalai Lama.
52. "They didn’t have the strength to stay rooted to the ground -I understand now that some roots are just too weak."
- Emily Curtis.
53. "The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness."
- Dalai Lama.
54. "Choices are at the root of every one of your results."
- Darren Hardy.
55. "I'll always stand by my Gypsy roots, and I'll always help out one of my own."
- Cher Lloyd.
Thoughtful Tree Roots Quotes
Friends are the extended family and family is all that there is. So, here are some roots quotes where you might find some family roots quotes as well to know that family - whether small or big - matter a lot and stay with you. It keeps you rooted by giving love to you and this is shown in these roots quotes.
56. "Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man’s growth without destroying his roots."
- Frank A. Clark.
57. "A tree falls the way it leans."
- Bulgarian proverb.
58. "So true is it that all sin is ultimately against the Lord; so bitter is the root of self."
- Alfred Edersheim.
59. "Ideas are the roots of creation."
- Ernest Dimnet.
60. "Ancient trees are precious. There is little else on Earth that plays host to such a rich community of life within a single living organism."
- Sir David Attenborough.
61. "A person does not grow from the ground like a vine or a tree, one is not part of a plot of land. Mankind has legs so it can wander."
- Roman Payne, 'The Wanderess.'
62. "Closing my eyes to connect to my roots. I sense the wisdom of my ancestors and my grandmother smiles."
- 'The Gossamer Path.'
63. "Change your opinions, keep to your principles; change your leaves, keep intact your roots."
- Victor Hugo.
64. "Though leaves are many, the root is one."
- William Butler Yeats.
65. "Focus on faith and grow your roots strong and deep so no one can make you believe in something that is not good for your soul."
- Molly Friedenfeld.
66. "Like branches on a tree we grow in different directions but our roots remain as one."
67. “Once the roots of love have grown deep and firm, the flowers will keep on blooming!”
- Avijeet Das.
68. "To destroy a people, you must first sever their roots."
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
69. "Civilization has its roots in the soil."
- Charles Kellogg.
70. "For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver."
- Martin Luther.
71. "You can't hate the roots of a tree and not hate the tree."
- Malcolm X.
72. "Do not forget how you got where you are today. Use the experiences in your life to learn the lesson that will move you ahead."
73. "Rebellion has its roots in the government's indifference and incompetence."
- Mike Barnicle.
74. "For a tree to become tall it must grow tough roots among the rocks."
- Friedrich Nietzsche.
75. "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."
- Chinese Proverb.
76. "When the roots are deep there is no reason to fear the wind."
77. "They kill good trees to put out bad newspapers."
- James G. Watt.
78. "This submission to the threshold of a cross is at the very root of our following Jesus; it changes the game completely."
- Alan Hirsch.
79. "I'm getting back to my old roots."
- Tiger Woods.
80. "Anyone who thinks fallen leaves are dead has never watched them dancing on a windy day."
- Shira Tamir.
Roots Quotes To Make You Feel Inspired
When people grow old, they gain wisdom. The older they get, the deeper their roots go just like trees and that's the beauty. Here are some amazing roots quotes that will inspire you to keep strong roots so that you never forget your past even and always remember your roots. Read on for some of the best inspirational roots quotes.
81. "The longing for Paradise is man's longing not to be man."
- Milan Kundera, 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being.'
82. "Sometimes it is impossible to know where you are headed without reflecting on where you came from."
83. "All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost."
- J. R. R. Tolkien.
84. "A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees."
- Amelia Earhart.
85. "Alone with myself, the trees bend to caress me The shade hugs my heart."
- Candy Polgar.
86. "I’m planting a tree to teach me to gather strength from my deepest roots."
- Andrea Koehle Jones.
87. "Everybody who's anybody longs to be a tree."
- Rita Dove.
88. "Remembering where you have been can help you make a better decision."
89. "Fortunate are the people whose roots are deep."
- Agnes Meyer Driscoll.
90. "Trees give peace to the souls of men."
- Nora Waln.
91. "Let's not grow with our roots in the ground."
- Criss Jami, 'Venus in Arms.'
92. "A small tree with strong roots will outlive a big tree with weak ones."
93. "The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its roots in earth and manure."
- D. H. Lawrence.
94. "Return to the root and you will find the meaning."
95. "I love your roots, not the flower everybody sees."
- Akilnathan Logeswaran.
96. “I am a strong believer that as one moves toward the future, the strongest and clearest way to do it is if you have a good sense of your past. You cannot have a very tall tree without deep roots.”
- Cesar Pelli.
97. "Between every two pine trees, there is a door leading to a new way of life."
- John Muir.
98. "Forgetting your roots will only lead you further from your sweet home."
99. "Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
- J. R. R. Tolkien.
100. "A tree is our most intimate contact with nature."
- George Nakashima.
101. "A tree without roots is just a piece of wood."
- Marco Pierre White.
102. "Storms make trees take deeper roots."
- Dolly Parton.
103. "A plant needs roots in order to grow. With man, it is the other way around: only when he grows does he have roots and feels at home in the world."
- Eric Hoffer.
104. "I am proud of my black roots and of the black blood that runs in my veins."
- Ryan Giggs.
105. "Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil."
*Do you know where this quote originated? Please email us to let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for inspirational roots quotes, then why not take a look at childhood quotes, or [stay humble quotes]?
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.