To be vegan is simply to be human; a better one, a more compassionate one, and a kind one.
A vegan lifestyle is one that excludes all animal-based products, be it food, clothing, or cosmetics, and yes it is 100% possible to go completely vegan if you put your heart into the cause. In the Bible, it is said that God advised human beings to be kind to animals even if we do eat them, so he doesn't tell us to be vegan, but that shouldn't stop you from wanting to go vegan either.
There are many popular vegans and vegetarians who think a lot about the well being of animals. Celebrated physicist, Einstein was a vegetarian who was an advocate of animal rights as well. There are many elements that might make you think twice about going vegan, like how tough it would be on your wallet, for example, but if your heart's in the right place, you will find a way because of your will. Veganism isn't guaranteed to be cheaper than the average diet, but it doesn't have to be more expensive either.
The Best Vegan Quotes
Here are some of the most inspirational veganism quotes as well as some funny vegan quotes to keep you inspired.
1. "Vegan is just pure love. Love for animals, love for the planet, and love for yourself."
2. "I am grateful to realize that my desires do not entitle me to add to another's suffering."
3. "I can't think of anything better in the world to be but a vegan."
4. "I don't see why someone should lose their life just so you can have a snack."
5. "I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
- Mahatma Gandhi.
6. "If intelligence and capability are not criteria for the possession of rights, why would animals - who have the capacity to feel fear and pain - be excluded from our moral consideration?"
7. "Nothing more strongly arouses our disgust than cannibalism, yet we make the same impression on Buddhists and vegetarians, for we feed on babies, though not our own."
― Robert Louis Stevenson.
8. "If you don't like pictures of animal cruelty being posted on social media, you need to help stop the cruelty, not the pictures. You should be bothered that it's happening, not that you saw it."
9. "If you don't want to be beaten, imprisoned, mutilated, killed or tortured then you shouldn't condone such behavior towards anyone, be they human or not."
10. "If possessing a higher degree of intelligence does not entitle one human to use another for his or her own ends, how can it entitle humans to exploit non-humans?"
-Peter Singer, 'Animal Liberation'.
11. "If you think that being vegan is difficult, imagine being a factory-farmed animal."
12. "It is much easier to show compassion to animals. They are never wicked."
13. "In a country such as this, where there are fruits, grains, and nuts in abundance, how can one think that he must eat the flesh of dead animals?"
- Ellen G. White, 'Counsels On Diet And Foods'.
14. "It's not hard to make decisions once you know what your values are."
- Roy E. Disney.
15. "It's pretty amazing to wake up every morning, knowing that every decision I make is to cause as little harm as possible. It's a pretty fantastic way to live."
16. "I'm a really big lover of animals, and, at the risk of sounding like a total hippie, I do feel more connected to the world at large and to animals."
17. "I've been vegan since I got out of the hospital… It's another eye opener. It changed my life in a number of ways."
18. "Life is too short to make others shorter."
19. "May all that have life be delivered from suffering."
20. "No animal needs to die in order for me to live. And that makes me feel good."
21. "No other animal on Earth has portrayed such a disregard for life than mankind."
-Anthony Douglas Williams.
22. "Nobody really needs a mink coat… Except the mink."
23. "Life is full of choices and many years ago, I chose to become a vegetarian. It is one of the best choices I've ever made."
24. "Nothing hurts a good soul and a kind heart more than to live amongst people who can't understand it."
-Ali Ibn Abi Talib.
25. "If a wave of veganism washed over the land, in six months there would be Broccoli Kings, Taco Bell Peppers, and McTofu Drive-Thrus."
-Brian Wansink, 'Slim By Design: Mindless Eating Solutions For Everyday Life'.
26. "Only when we have become non-violent towards all life will we have learned to live well ourselves."
27. "Part of my becoming a vegetarian was that I would look at my burger, then look at my dogs, and I wasn't able to see a difference."
28. "People are the only animals that drink the milk of the mother of another species."
29. "People eat meat and think they will become as strong as an ox, forgetting that the ox eats grass."
30. "Yogis should at all times avoid fish, meat, garlic, onion and so forth, should eat with moderation, and avoid foods that are not conducive to health."
-Dalai Lama, 'Stages Of Meditation: The Buddhist Classic On Training The Mind'.
31. "Please don't refuse with your eyes what the animals endure with their bodies."
32. "Poor animals, how jealously they guard their bodies, for to us is merely an evening's meal, but to them is life itself."
-T. Casey Brennan.
33. "Science that fails to embrace all living beings is far more dangerous than any virus!"
34. "The Gods created certain kinds of beings to replenish our bodies; they are the trees and the plants and the seeds."
35. "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites, or women for men."
36. "The best part of being a vegan is the purity and peace of mind one experiences and the strong connection I feel to the animal kingdom."
37. "The future is not something we enter, the future is something we create."
-Leonard I. Sweet.
38. "The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong in the world."
-Dr. Paul Farmer.
39. "Plants are not cognizant. When we cut a leaf, we assume that the plant is suffering. But that's our own anthropomorphism about what's going on."
-Daniel Chamovitz, 'What A Plant Knows: A Field Guide To The Senses'.
Inspirational Vegan Quotes
Here is a list of some of the most inspirational veganism quotes as well as short vegan quotes to help boost your willpower if you are planning to start a cruelty-free life journey.
40. "Animal factories are one more sign of the extent to which our technological capacities have advanced faster than our ethics."
41. "If slaughterhouses had glass walls, the whole world would be vegetarian."
42. "Animals don't have a voice, but I do. A loud one."
43. "As I improved my diet, I started to learn to love myself, probably for the first time ever."
44. "Becoming vegan is the most important and direct change we can immediately make to save the planet and its species."
45. "Could you look an animal in the eyes and say to it, 'My appetite is more important than your suffering'?"
46. "Cruelty is one fashion statement we can all do without."
47. "Earth was created for all of us, not some of us."
-Anthony Douglas Williams.
48. "Eating meat is the most disgusting thing I can think of. It's like biting into your grandmother."
49. "Every living creature has the right to live ethically."
50. "The problem is that humans have victimized animals to such a degree that they are not even considered victims."
51. "The question is not, Can they reason? Nor, Can they talk? But, Can they suffer?"
52. "To face animal suffering is to face our responsibility in their suffering."
53. "To get mud off your hands, use soap and water. To get blood off your hands, go vegan."
54. "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
55. "Vegan food is soul food in its truest form."
56. "Especially when it comes to animals used for food, humanity's reasoning power and concern about fairness plummets."
- Karen Davis.
57. "Veganism is not about how hard it is for you. It's about every animal's right not to be used as a slave."
58. "We all love animals. Why do we call some 'pets' and others' dinner'?"
59. "We are, quite literally, gambling with the future of our planet - for the sake of hamburgers."
60. "We cannot have peace among men whose hearts find delight in killing any living creature."
61. "We choose to eat meat and have therefore built slaughterhouses for the animals and hospitals for us."
62. "We strive for a world where every earthling has the right to live and grow. That's why we don't eat animals."
63. "I'm a vegan. It makes me feel really good and bright."
64. "Most consumers are unaware of the ongoing, intense suffering and billions of premature deaths that lurk behind mayonnaise and cream, cold cuts and egg sandwiches."
-Lisa Kemmerer, 'Speaking Up For Animals: An Anthology Of Women's Voices.'
65. "Veganism is not a sacrifice. It is a joy."
-Gary L. Francione.
66. "Go to the meat market of a Saturday night and see the crowds of live bipeds staring up at the long rows of dead quadrupeds. Does not that sight take a tooth out of the cannibal's jaw?"
-Herman Melville, 'Moby Dick'.
67. "An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language."
68. "The more important point here, though, is that the whole animal-cruelty-and-eating issue is not just complex, it's also uncomfortable."
-David Foster Wallace, 'Consider The Lobster.'
69. "Some people think that the plant-based whole foods diet is extreme. Half a million a year will have their chests opened up, a vein taken from their leg and sewn onto their coronary artery. Some people would call that extreme."
-Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, 'Forks Over Knives.'
70. "Being vegan just gives you such great karma."
71. "When diet is wrong, medicine is of no use. When diet is correct, medicine is of no need."
72. "When humans act with cruelty we characterize them as 'animals', yet the only animal that displays cruelty is humanity."
-Anthony Douglas Williams.
73. "When people ask me why I don't eat meat or any other animal products, I say, 'Because they are unhealthy and they are the product of a violent and inhumane industry.'"
74. "When you feel the suffering of every living thing in your own heart, that is consciousness."
75. "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
76. "You can't do anything violent humanely."
77. "You either approve of violence or you don't, and nothing on earth is more violent or extreme than the meat industry."
78. "You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car."
Famous Vegan Quotes
There are countless celebrities who have willingly chosen veganism as well. Here is a list of quotes that may have inspired them.
79. "Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable."
80. "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
81. "Why are vegans made fun of while the inhumane factory farming process regards animals and the natural world merely as commodities to be exploited for profit?"
82. "The concept that you are not ingesting rotting flesh sort of sums it up for me."
83. "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
- Mahatma Gandhi.
84. "The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man."
85. "It's never really been that hard for me. I've never had any desire to eat meat. In fact, when I was a kid I would have a really difficult time eating meat at all."
86. "It almost seems to me that man was not born to be a carnivore."
87. "I'm a vegan. I respect the environment and I do my best to spread the importance of such an issue."
88. "Animals are not ingredients."
89. "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
90. "I love animals. All animals. I wouldn't hurt a cat or a dog - or a chicken, or a cow..."
91. "I personally chose to go vegan because I educated myself on factory farming and cruelty to animals."
92. "How would we fare psychologically if the walls of slaughterhouses were made of glass?"
- Tom Regan, 'The Struggle For Animal Rights.'
93. "Animals are my friends. And I don't eat my friends."
-George Bernard Shaw.
94. "Eating for me is how you proclaim your beliefs three times a day. That is why all religions have rules."
95. "If a kid ever realized what was involved in factory farming, they would never touch meat again."
96. "Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better."
97. "It takes nothing away from a human to be kind to an animal."
98. "The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different."
99. "The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men."
-Leonardo Da Vinci.
100. "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
101. "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery."
102. "When I see bacon, I see a pig, I see a little friend, and that's why I can't eat it. Simple as that."
103. "Behind every beautiful fur coat, there is a story. It is a bloody, barbaric story."
-Mary Tyler Moore.
104. "You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson.
105. "For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love."
106. "About three times a day, I remind myself that I value life and do not want to cause pain to or kill other living beings."
107. "Ethical veganism results in a profound revolution within the individual."
― Gary L. Francione.
108. "A man of my spiritual intensity does not eat corpses."
-George Bernard Shaw.
109. "How much longer will man continue to pimp for the gluttony of death, his most insidious, implacable, and eternal foe."
- Percy Bysshe Shelley, 'To Queen Mab.'
110. "A human body in no way resembles those that were born for ravenousness."
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for plant based, vegan quotes then why not take a look at these animal rights quotes or [activist quotes] for more quotes about both human and animal rights?
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.