Conjuring a new name every time you pen down a fiction could be tricky.
This is especially true in the case of surnames because you don't just give your character an identity but also a vivid family background. Therefore, it is important that the names you should choose are unique, simple and appealing.
More often than not, giving surnames to your character could become a tedious process in itself. But this need not be a case with you if you have a ready index of all the names at your disposal. Here is a list of 100 last names that start with letter E that you can use for your characters.
Famous Last Names Beginning With E
While looking for last names that resonate with your readers, you can pick the names that people already know. These last names have already made a name for themselves and are easy to connect with. Following are the famous last names that start with E, some belonging to actors too.
1. Eaches, (Anglo Saxon origin) meaning "son of Eggar".
2. Eads, (Anglo-Saxon origin) means "son of Adam".
3. Eagels, (Anglo-Saxon origin) this last names starting with E means someone who is "impressive or sharp-eyed".
4. Eagleton, (Anglo-Saxon origin) these last names are locational names.
5. Edris, (Czech origin) one of the last names that mean "peaceful ruler".
6. Ebrahim, (Arabic origin) name of the prophet and patriarch Abraham.
7. Eshwar, (Indian Origin) one of the Hindu last names starting with e means "God" in Hinduism.
8. Edwin, (English origin) these Spanish last names that start with e means "rich friend".
9. Eknath, (Indian origin) meaning "lord, protector".
10. Easton, (English origin ) means "east town".
11. Eaton, (English origin) made from Old English word, where ea stands for "river" and tun stands for "enclosure, yard, town".
12. Echeverria, (Spanish origin) from the list of E last names, this one derives from the place name Exteberria.
13. Eckstein, (German origin ) derived from From Old High German ecka meaning "edge, corner."
14. Edison, (English origin) this last name denotes "son of Eda".
15. Edwards, (English origin) one of the famous surnames beginning with E that means "son of Edward".
16. Eglitis, (Latvian origin) one of the surnames starting with e meaning "spruce tree".
17. Ek, (Swedish origin) a cute last name starting with e; this means "oak" in Swedish.
18. Eszes, (Hungarian origin) one of the Hungarian last names that start with E; this means "clever, bright".
19. Espina, (Spanish origin) the last name used for people living near a thorn bush, as it means "thorn".
20. Esposito, ( Italian origin) this is one of the Italian surnames that mean "exposed."
21. Eberhardt, ( German origin) derives from the already given name EBERHARD.
22. Ekmekci, (Turkish origin) these surnames in Turkish mean "baker" in Turkish.
23. Emerson, ( English origin) this last name means "son of EMERY".
24. Edgar, (English origin) this name is popular as the first name but can also be the surname meaning "happy and blessed".
25. Evans, (Welsh origin) these last names are a derivative of the Welsh name Ifan and means "son of Evan".
25. Ewing (Scottish origin) this surname is derived from the Gaelic clan named Clann Eoghain meaning "Children of Eoghain".
Short Last Names That Start With E
If you do not want your surname to be long and difficult to remember, you can look for ones that have minimal letters in them. Following is the list of short last names that start with E:
27. Eady, (English origin) one of the surnames beginning with e formed from the diminutive of the given name Eda or Adam.
28. Earl, (English origin) derived from the aristocratic title, which means "nobleman, warrior".
29. Earnshaw, (English origin), meaning "Earn's nook where earn means eagle".
30. Earp, (English - Midlands origin) an Americanised spelling of the German Erp which could also be a nickname for a dark complexion man.
31. Eash, (Sanksrit origin) this name is also one of the names for an Indian deity Shiva and it means "supreme, powerful, master and ruler".
32. Ebner, (German origin) surname derived from ebene that indicates a dweller on flat land.
33. Eby, (Swiss, German origin) derived as a short form for the German name Eberhardt.
34. Eder, (Hebrew origin) last name meaning "God's watchfulness".
35. Edes, (Hungarian origin) nickname from Edes and means "sweet and charming".
36. Edie, (Hebrew origin) with the meaning "delight".
37. Edith, (English origin) these surnames starting with E mean "happy warfare" in English origin.
38. Egger, (German origin) these surnames mean "plowman or farmer".
39.Eguia, (Spanish origin) the last name is of the Basque origin and is assumed to mean "the truth".
40. Eich, (German origin) meaning "oak", it was a topographic name for someone living near an oak tree.
41. Eiras, (Spanish, Portuguese origin) this name finds its origin in the Norse Goddess, Eir.
42. Eis, (German origin) a habitational surname for people from Eisa in Hesse.
43. Eklund, ( Swedish origin) the meaning of these surnames is derived by two Swedish names, oak, and grove.
44. El-Amin, ( Arabic origin) these surnames are more of an alternate transcription of an Arabic الأمين (AL-AMIN).
45. Eld, (Swedish origin) Swedish surnames starting with e that means "fire".
46. Elder, (English origin) these surnames beginning with e means "older".
47. Ellis, (English, Welsh origin) not an original name, but a variant of ELIJAH.
48. Ely, (English origin) derived from the name of an eastern England town which means "eel district".
49. Erkens, (Dutch origin) surname derived from a name Erk, which is a variant of Erik.
50. Eros, (Hungarian origin) among surnames starting with E meaning "strong".
51. Esser, ( German origin) means "Cartwright".
Cool Last Names That Start With E
Often we look for names and last names that are cool and carry a style appeal that makes them different from others. These are mostly a combination of rarely used letter combinations which in turn makes them unique in their own way.
52. Eade, (English, Scottish origin) the surnames are believed to have originated from the English word, Eda.
53. Eagerton, (English origin) fairly simple surname that is a variant of Edgerton.
54. Earthman, (German origin) comes from the German name Erdmann.
55. Ebben, (Dutch origin) is a short form of Egbert or Eber.
56. Eccleston, (English origin) meaning "church".
57. Edmond, (Anglo-Saxon origin) means, "wealthy defender".
58. Eduardo, (Spanish) this surname means a "wealthy guardian".
59. Eichel, (German origin) surname meaning "acorn".
60. Eikenboom, ( Dutch origin) last names that derive from nature, it means "oak tree".
61. Elizondo, (Spanish origin) derived from eleiza "church" and ondo "near".
62. Ellington, (English origin) derived from towns and places in England, meaning "elf town".
63. Elliott, (English origin) derived from name Elias.
64. Ellsworth, (English origin) used for people who used to live in a town called Elsworth.
65. Elzinga, (Dutch) derived from a place made from a word called els meaning "alder tree".
66. Emmett, (English origin) derives from a diminutive of the name EMMA.
67. Endicott, (English origin) name based on its topography, this last name means "from the end cottage".
68. Endler, (Venezuela) meaning "people living in Endel or Endeln".
69. Enfield, (English origin) ean meaning "lamb" and feld meaning "open field".
70. Engberg, (Swedish) last name meaning "meadow".
71. English, (English origin) these names were used to denote someone from English heritage.
72. Engman, (Swedish origin) these surnames were names for people living in a meadow.
73. Engstrom, (Swedish origin) an ornamental name that derives its meaning from Swedish äng meaning "meadow'"and ström meaning "stream".
74. Episcopo, (Italian origin) meaning 'bishop'.
Unique Surnames Beginning With E
When you look around, there are many last names with E that are unique and ones that you might have never heard about. The following is the list of such surnames that are unique and out of the box.
75. Eagon, (Irish, German origin) These unique surnames are said to have roots in the Irish "Eagan" and German "Egon".
76. Eaken, (Irish, English origin) derived from the Irish and English name Eakin.
77. Earman, (German origin) an Americanised version of the German Ehrmann.
78. Easterlin, (German origin) these surnames find their root in the German personal name Österlin and mean "a child born on Easter Day".
79. Eastmond, (English origin) this name can be attested to the 13th-century name Es(t)mond.
80. Eavey, (English origin) the name is used in English names and is said to be an altered spelling of Avey.
81. Ebaugh, (German origin) an originally German name said to have found its place in the American people.
82. Emigh, (German origin) meaning "son of Emmerich".
83. Emler, (German origin) derived from word Himel meaning "sky or heaven".
84.Ermacora, (Italian origin) derives from the surnames name ERMACORA.
85. Eros, (Hungarian origin) these surnames mean "strong".
86. Escamilla, (Spanish origin) a derivation of the name of a town of Escamilla in Guadalajara, Spain.
87. Escarcega, (Spanish origin) originated from a place name called Eskarzaga, which derives from hazkar meaning "maple".
88. Escarra, (Spanish origin) derived from Catalan esquerrá meaning "left-handed" probably.
89. Esparza, (Spanish origin) these last names has been made from Basque place name Espartza which is a town in Navarre.
90. Espinosa, (Spanish origin) derived from Spanish word espinoso which means "thorny".
91. Espinoza, (Spanish origin) not one of the new surnames but just a variant of Espinosa.
92. Esposito, (Italian origin) names in Italian that denote a child rescued after being abandoned by its parents.
93. Esser, (German) surnames meaning "cartwright".
94. Evangelista, (Italian origin) meaning "evangelist" from the Italian language.
95. Evensen, (Norwegian origin) last name meaning "son of Even".
96.Everill, (English origin) derivative of the feminine name Eoforhild.
97. Everly, (English origin) derived from the name of places brought from Old English word eofor meaning 'boar' and leah meaning "woodland, clearing".
98. Evers, (Dutch origin) these surnames mean "son of Evert".
99. Ewart, (English origin ) derived from an English town, meaning a "river".
100. Ezra, (Jewish origin) derived from the name EZRA.
Kidadl has lots of great names articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for Surnames That Start With E then why not take a look at Czech Last Names, or for something different take a look at Names Meaning Thunder.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.