Names not only defines one's identity, but it also represents their identity lineage.
Earlier, way back during primitive times, surnames did not exist at all - only single names were used to determine one's identification as the number of existing human beings were smaller in number.
Last names or surnames gradually started coming into existence as populations started increasing in various areas worldwide. These led to inhabitants using the last name or surnames to further segment and identify themselves.
Why do we use last names? Using last names or surnames also gave communities a sense of belonging. The last name or surnames define an individual's community, tribe, or background - depending on their culture. Although there might be different variations of the same name in some cultures, many last names are similar. However, your surname could be a matter of pride for you if it is unique. Last names that start with Z or Z surnames have a different zing to them! Surnames or last names with Z will definitely set you apart from the rest of the crowd. The following list will give you ideas about surnames starting with Z and their meaning and origins to help you decide your character's better. Let's have a look!
Ancient Last Names Starting With Z
Names and surnames have been an integral part of every individual's lives. The following names and surnames are going to give you an in-depth idea of what you might be looking for! Choose from these cool surnames from ancient times.
1. Zaal is of Dutch origin, meaning "hall."
2. Zabala is of Basque origin and one of the sought after last names that start with Z, meaning "broad" or "comprehensive".
3. Zabek is of Polish origin - it originates from a Polish word called "Zab," which means "tooth."
4. Zahradnik originated from the Czech word "Zehrada," meaning "garden".
5. Zaman is of Arabic or Urdu origin. It is one of the surnames starting with Z and has been derived from the given name itself!
6. Zanetti is of Italian origin and was derived from the Italian name "Giovanni." It happens to be one of the famous last names that start with Z.
7. Zappa is of Italian origin and is used to describe a "farmer".
8. Zeegers is of Dutch origin, meaning "Sieger's" son.
9. Zeelen is from Dutch ancestry, and it originated from the name "Ceel."
10. Zelenka is of Ukrainian origin, and it is one of those Z surnames that happens to be Zeilenski's Czech cognate.
11. Zeman is of Cezch or Slovak origin, meaning "landowner."
12. Zentai is of Hungarian origin. It is derived from Zenta, a part of Hungary in the past.
13. Zheng is of Chinese origin, and it refers to Zheng, which happens to be an old part of China.
14. Zielinski is of Polish origin, and it is believed that it used to refer to a "person dressed in green".
15. Zima is of Slovak, Russian, Czech, and Polish origin and was derived from a Slavic word that meant "winter."
16. Zimmerman is of Jewish and German origin. It may have been derived from a German word meaning "carpenter."
17. Zingel is of Jewish origin and may have been derived from a German word called zingel, meaning "defensive wall.
18. Ziskind is of Jewish origin and happens to be an ornamental name that refers to a "sweet child."
19. Zivkovic is of Croatian and Serbian origin, and this surname refers to " Zivko's son."
20. Zlatkov is of Bulgarian origin, and it refers to "Zlatko's son."
21. Zoltanfi is of Hungarian origin, and it refers to "Zoltan's son."
22. Zsoldos is of Hungarian origin, which means "mercenary".
23. Zukowski is of Polish origin, and this surname has been derived from various Polish towns called Zukow or Zukowo - these names have been derived from the work Zuk, which means "beetle."
24. Zyma is of Ukrainian origin and has been derived from the word "Zima." This surname is undoubtedly one of the unique names that start with Z.
Famous Last Names That Start With Z
Unlike the previous surnames, the following are some of the most sought after modern Z last names.
25. Zabana is of Native American origin and refers to a "meadow".
26. Zabe is one of the modern surnames of American origin.
27. Zabelle is of Armenian origin and has been derived from the ancient version of "Isabel."
28. Zac is of Hebrew origin, and it means that the "Lord has remembered."
29. Zachariah is also of Hebrew origin and has the same meaning as Zac.
30. Zachary is the modern touch to Zachariah, and it has the same meaning and origin.
31. Zade happens to be a modern-day last name that starts with Z.
32. Zadie is one of the surnames of Hebrew origin.
33. Zadok is of Hebrew origin, and it means "righteous."
34. Zacheus is of Hebrew origin and happens to be Zahariah's variation.
35. Zaelia happens to be the Spanish name Rosalia's anglicized version.
36. Zafar is of Arabic origin, and it means victory.
37. Zafira is a Quranic name, which means being "triumphant" or "successful."
38. Zafiro is of Spanish origin, and it means "Sapphire."
39. Zahara is one of the beautiful names used as a surname and first name. It means "flower" or "to shine."
40. Zahava is a modern Hebrew surname that starts with Z and means "gold."
41. Zahavi is one of the last names of Hebrew origin, meaning "gold."
42. Zahir is of Arabic origin, and it means "to flourish."
43. Zahn is one of the surnames of German origin, meaning "tooth."
44. Zahra is a last name that starts with Z. It is of Arabic origin, meaning "flower."
45. Zailey is one of the modern surnames that has been derived from "Bailey."
46. Zaire is of African origin and is one of the most used surnames in Africa.
47. Zaki is of Italian origin meaning "intelligent."
48. Zako is of Hungarian origin and one of the most common surnames.
49. Zala is one of the last names of Ethiopian origin and refers to "someone from the south-west of Ethiopia".
50. Zale one of the popular surnames, is of Greek origin and is used to refer to the "strength of the sea".
51. Zalman is one of the last names that start with z and means peace.
52. Zamiel one of the Hebrew surnames means "told by God."
53. Zamora is one of those Spanish surnames starting with Z.
54. Zamzam is of Arabic origin, and it refers to the symbol of infinity.
55. Zander is one of the interesting names, and it means "to defend men".
56. Zandra is one of the last names meaning "defending men".
57. Zandro is of Greek origin, meaning warrior.
58. Zangari is one of the Italian surnames and has the meaning "cobbler".
59. Zhivkov is a Bulgarian last name meaning "son of Zhivko".
60. Zara is one of the names of Hebrew and Arabic origin meaning "blooming flower" and "remembrance of God."
61. Zared is one of the surnames of Hebrew origin, meaning "trap."
62. Zaria is one of the names of Arabic origin and used as first name or surname.
63. Zariza is of Hebrew origin, meaning "extremely bright" or "gold."
64. Zarouhi happens to be one of the surnames of American origin.
65. Zaylee happens to be one of those contemporary names that happens to be Kayley, Hailey, and Bailey's successor.
66. Zaynab is of Arabic origin, meaning "grace" or "beauty."
67. Zaza is of Hebrew origin, meaning "movement."
68. Zeb is of Hebrew origin, meaning "Jehovah's gift."
69. Zebedee happens to be the English version of Zebediah, meaning "God's gift."
70. Zebediah is of Hebrew origin, meaning "Jehovah's gift."
71. Zebulon is of Hebrew origin, meaning "dwelling" or "exaltation."
72. Zed is of Hebrew origin that means "God is impartial."
73. Zedekiah is of Hebrew origin, meaning "God is righteous."
74. Zeke is of Hebrew origin, meaning "God will give you strength."
75. Zelda is one of the surnames of German origin.
76. Zelie is of French origin and happens to be the shorter version of Solene, Zelia, and Azalea.
77. Zelig is of German origin, meaning "the blessed one."
78. Zell is of Hebrew origin and refers to a person full of peace and wisdom.
79. Zella is one of the last names of African origin, referring to "one who lacks nothing".
80. Zelma is of German origin and refers to the name Anselma meaning God's helmet.
81. Zelmo is one of the names of Hebrew origin used as a last name.
82. Zen is one of the Japanese surnames starting with Z and refers to a "Buddhism type".
83. Zeni is a last name of Italian origin, meaning "successor of Zeno".
84. Zenith is of Arabic origin, meaning "the highest point."
85. Zeno is one of the last names of Greek origin meaning "the king of Gods."
86. Zenobia is another last name Greek origin and refers to "Zeus' force."
87. Zeo is also one of the surnames of Greek origin, meaning life.
88. Zephyr is a last name of Greek origin and refers to the "Wind from the West."
89. Zephyrine is one of the surnames starting with Z.
90. Zeren is of Greek origin, meaning understanding and insightful.
91. Zerline is a last name of French origin starting with Z with the meaning beautiful dawn.
92. Ziberstein is a Jewish last name that means "silver stone".
93. Zerrick is one of the modern names used as a last name.
94. Zeta happens to be an Italian name from Greek origin and refers to the letter Z.
95. Zeus happens to be a Greek mythology name.
96. Zev is of Hebrew origin, meaning "wolf".
97. Zevi is of Hebrew origin, meaning "deer".
98. Zhane is an amalgamation of old fashioned surnames.
99. Zhivago happens to be one of the Russian literary names meaning life.
100. Zibby is one of the names of Hebrew origin.
Kidadl has lots of great names articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for Last Names That Start With Z then why not take a look at Royal Last Names, or for something different take a look at Names Meaning Fire.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.