'Moneyball: The Art Of Winning An Unfair Game', first a successful book by Michael Lewis and later adapted as a movie starring Brad Pitt as Billy Beane and Jonah Hill as Peter Brand.
'Moneyball' is a sports drama based on the real story of General Manager Billy Beane of Oakland A’s who aspires to achieve great results with the least expense. With the help of Peter Brand played by Jonah Hill who studied economics at Yale University develops the method of sabermetrics, empirical analysis, and incorporating that in baseball.
Here is a curated list of inspiring 'Moneyball' quotes.
Moneyball Book Quotes
Michael Lewis’s 'Moneyball' is a great read. Here are some great book quotes.
1. “There was now such a thing as intellectually rigorous baseball analyst. James had given the field of study its name, Sabermetrics.”
2. “Baseball has so much history and tradition. You can respect it, or you can exploit it for profit, but it’s still being made all over the place, all the time.”
3. “How can you not get romantic about baseball?”
- Billy Beane.
4. “The pleasure of rooting for Goliath is that you can expect to win.”
5. “The pain of looking bad is worse than the gain of making the best move.”
6. “'That’s all right!' says Billy. 'We’re blending what we see but we aren’t allowing ourselves to be victimized by what we see.'”
7. “People who want cry badly to win and to be seen to have won, enjoy a tactical advantage over people who don’t.”
8. “Over a long season the luck evens out, and the skill shines through. But in a series of three out of five, or even four out of seven, anything can happen.”
9. “The great thing about baseball players, from the point of view of personal hygiene, is how seldom they break a sweat.”
10. “I've been in this game a long time. I'm not in it for a record, I'll tell you that. I'm not in it for a ring. That's when people get hurt. If we don't win the last game of the Series, they'll dismiss us.”
Moneyball Movie Quotes
Moneyball movie is full of baseball inspiring quotes and here is a list of some of the baseball movie quotes by Billy Bean, Peter Brand and others.
11. “There is an epidemic failure within the game to understand what is really happening. And this leads people who run Major League Baseball teams to misjudge their players and mismanage their teams.”
12. “We're all told at some point in time that we can no longer play the children's game, we just don't know when that's gonna be.”
13. “The first guy through the wall always gets bloody. Always!”
14. “And I hate losing, I hate it. I hate losing more than I even wanna win.”
- Billy Beane.
15. “Okay people who run ball clubs, they think in terms of buying players. Your goal shouldn't be to buy players, your goal should be to buy wins and in order to buy wins, you need to buy runs. You're trying to replace Johnny Damon. The Boston Red Sox see Johnny Damon and they see a star who's worth seven and half million dollars a year. ”
- Peter Brand.
16. “When I see Johnny Damon, what I see is an imperfect understanding of where runs come from. The guy’s got a great glove, he’s a decent league off hitter, he can steal bases. But is he worth the seven and a half million dollars a year the Boston Red Sox are paying him? No! No! Baseball thinking is medieval.”
- Art Howe.
17. “I respect you, Mr. Beane, and if you want full disclosure, I think it's a good thing that you got Damon off your payroll. I think it opens up all kinds of interesting possibilities.”
- Peter Brand.
18. “David Justice :What's your biggest fear?
Scott Hatteberg : A baseball being hit in my general direction.”
19. “Jeremy's about to realize that the ball went 60 feet over the fence. He hit a home run and didn't even realize it.”
- Peter Brand.
20. “Grady Fuson: We're very aware of the problem. I mean...
Billy Beane: Okay, good. What's the problem?
Grady Fuson: Look, Billy, we all understand what the problem is. We have to replace three key players in our lineup.”
'Moneyball' Brad Pitt Quotes
Here is a list of some of the amazing quotes by Billy Beane played by Brad Pitt.
21. “Adapt or die.”
22. “When your enemy’s making mistakes don’t interrupt them”
23. “It’s hard not to be romantic about baseball. This kind of thing, it’s fun for the fans. It sells tickets and hot dogs. Doesn’t mean anything.”
24. “Billy Beane : Would you rather get one shot in the head or five in the chest and bleed to death?
Peter Brand: Are those my only two options?”
25. “They will erase us and everything we’ve done here, none of it’ll matter. Any other team wins the World Series, good for them.”
26. “Pack your bags, Pete. I just bought you from the Cleveland Indians”
27. “The problem we’re trying to solve is that there are rich teams and there are poor teams. Then there’s fifty feet of garbage, and then there’s us. It’s an unfair game. And now we’ve been gutted. We’re like organ donors for the rich. Boston’s taken our kidneys, Yankees have taken our heart. And you guys just sit around talking the same old good body nonsense like we're selling jeans.”
28. “Billy Beane : We want you at first base.
Scott Hatteberg : But, I've always played catcher
Billy Beane : It's not that hard, Scott. Tell him, Wash.
Ron Washington :It's Incredibly hard.”
29. “Grady Fuson : The what?
Billy Bean: Giambi's on-base percentage was .477. Damon's on-base, .324. And Olmedo's was .291. Add that up, and you get...
Peter Brand : Do you want me to speak?
Billy Beane: When I point at you.”
30. “Billy Beane : You think you're special?
David Justice: Well, you are paying me eight million dollars a year, so yeah.”
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for 'Moneyball' quotes then why not take a look at inspirational baseball quotes or basketball quotes.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.