Some characters are simply unlucky, and whether that be for comedic effect or for a serious storyline, it is only right that they have fitting names!
To avoid picking silly names for your characters (such as Oink, which means "an animal's noise" and could be considered a silly name for a human character), take a look at this list of the best character names that mean "misfortune". These names will suit your characters personality perfectly, yet won't stand out from the crowd too much!
If you are looking for names meaning unfortunate or unlucky, have a look at this great list of names meaning misfortune and for more great names, take a look at these dark last names with meanings and these beautiful names that mean dark.
Girl Names That Mean Unfortunate
There are plenty of lovely sounding girl names that mean misfortune such as Akuji, Claudia, Emily, Keres and Desdemona. The name Mallory also means both "unfortunate" and "bad luck". For more ideas for your unlucky characters, take a look here.
1. Akuji (African origin) means "dead and awake". The name meaning is not a particularly cheerful one.
2. Cecilia (Latin origin) means "blind". The meaning of the name holds misfortune.
3. Claudia (Latin origin) means "lame".
4. Deirdre (Gaelic origin) means "sorrowful or sad one".
5. Desdemona (African origin) means, "ill-fated one" and "misery". Is a beautiful name but with an unfortunate meaning.
6. Dolores (Spanish origin) means "lady of sorrows".
7. Emily (Latin origin) means "rival". Is an unfortunate name for any character.
8. Hecate (Greek origin) meaning "willpower" or "far reaching". As per Greek Mythology, the name refers to magic and witchcraft.
9. Keres (Latin origin) means "evil spirits". This could be an unlucky name for a character.
10. Jezebel (Latin origin) means "an impure follower of idols".
11. Leah (Hebrew origin) means "tired or weary".
12. Lilith (Latin origin) means "night monster" or "ghost".
13. Lola (Latin origin) means "lady of sorrows". The name sounds full of misfortune.
14. Loralei (German origin) means "ambush cliff". The other meaning of the name is "she whose singing lures men to destruction".
15. Mallory (Latin origin) means "unfortunate or ill fated". It is one of the oldest names that mean unlucky.
16. Malvolia (Latin origin) means "ill will".
17. Mara (Hebrew origin) means "bitter or sorrow".
18. Mary (Hebrew origin) means "rebellion or bitter".
19. Molly (Latin origin) means "bitter". This name might suit a character who leads an unlucky life.
20. Narcissa (Latin origin) means "obsessed with yourself".
21. Nerezza (Italian origin) means "darkness". For a character with a dark and dreary mood.
22. Portia (Latin origin) meaning "pig". Although the name is beautiful its meaning is very unfortunate.
23. Persephone (Latin origin) means "to destroy and murder". Despite this unfortunate meaning, Persephone was actually was the Greek Goddess of spring!
24. Rebecca (Biblical origin) means "to bind, to tie or snare".
25. Sidero (Latin origin) means "evil nymph".
26. Sloane (Gaelic origin) means "warrior or fighter". Whilst to some, this name meaning is a sign of strength, for a character who cannot control their fighting spirit this could be an unfortunate name.
27. Thana (Arabic origin) means "death".
28. Tristana (Celtic origin) means "sorrowful or sad".
29. Tristesse (French origin) means "sadness".
30. Zilla (Hebrew origin) means "shadow, shade and gloom".
Boy Names That Mean Unfortunate
Some of these boy names mean"unfortunate" or "misfortune" and others have unfortunate and bad meanings. From Akuji, Brone and Calvin, to Zilla, Molly and Campbell there are many names with unfortunate meanings on this list. Have you ever heard names that are creepy, the creepy names include Banshee, Beelzebub, and Crimson. We have compiled boys and male names that mean misfortune and are very popular.
31. Abaddon (Latin origin) means "angel of death". This is also the name of the King of a locust army in the New Testament.
32. Alastor (Latin origin) means "persecutor or tormentor".
33. Azazel (Biblical origin) means "evil demon or evil spirit".
34. Brennan (Gaelic origin) means "sorrow or sadness".
35. Brone (Irish origin) means "sadness". This name for an unfortunate male character is full of sorrow.
36. Byron (Old English origin) means "cowshed".
37. Calvin (Latin origin) means "bald".
38. Cameron (Scottish origin) means "crooked nose".
39. Campbell (Scottish origin) means "crooked mouth".
40. Cessair (Irish origin) means "sorrow or affliction".
41. Das (Indian origin) means "servant". Despite its unfortunate meaning, the name is very cute and could suit any character.
42. Doyle (Irish origin) means "stranger".
43. Dracul (Latin origin) means "devil or dragon".
44. Dugal (Indian origin) means "stranger".
45. Huxley (English origin) means "inhospitable place".
46. Jabez (Hebrew origin) means "he makes sorrowful". The name might be good for a character who spreads sorrow.
47. Jacob (Latin origin) means "supplanter".
48. Jolon (Native American origin) means "valley of the dead oaks".
49. Kennedy (Latin origin) means "deformed head".
50. Mort (Old French origin) means "dead". This first name would be suitable for both boys and girls characters.
51. Oleander (Latin origin) a name meaning "poisonous flower".
52. Phobus (Latin origin) means "fear".
53. Samael (Hebrew origin) a name meaning "venom of God or blindness of God". This is a creepy name.
54. Teivel (Latin origin) means "devil". The name is fearful because of its meaning.
55. Than (Greek origin) means "death".
56. Tristan (Celtic origin) means "sorrowful or sad".
57. Ubel (Latin origin) means "uber".
58. Valdis (Latin origin) a name meaning "the dead".
Gender Neutral Names That Mean Unfortunate
The names listed below are gender neutral, they are suitable for both boys and girls characters and have cool, unique, sad and unfortunate meanings, such as Crash which is a boys' name that means "unfortunate" and Perdita, Sennacherib, Perdido and Diggory which are all names that mean "lost".
59. Jela (African origin) means "suffering", "unfortunate" or "sorrow".
60. Ares (Greek origin) meaning "disaster" and "misfortune".
61. Corentine (Irish origin) meaning "hurricane" or "unfortunate"
62. Bora (Turkish origin) meaning "disaster" or "misfortune". For an unlucky character, this name will perfectly sum up their misfortune.
63. Kennedy (Celtic and Gaelic origin) meaning "deformed head".
64. Nukpana (Native American origin) meaning "evil" and "unfortunate".
65. Rue (English origin) meaning "regret" and "unfortunate".
Last Names That Mean Unfortunate
This list of unfortunate surnames will give you an idea of a few last names for characters with the worst luck!
66. Pechman (German origin) meaning "man with bad luck".
67. Kellogg (English origin) meaning "to kill". This unfortunate and creepy last name is perfect for any unlucky characters.
Kidadl has lots of great name articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for names that mean "misfortune" for your characters with the worst luck, then why not take a look at something different like this list of the best gothic last names with meanings and history or, for something a little more positive, these names that mean wanderer for your little adventurer?
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.