Philanthropy is the action or desire of a person to seek others' welfare for a good cause, usually by helping them with money.
Philanthropy is seen as a virtue that all humans should possess. It is a private initiative that promotes an equal world of opportunities and love.
In a world that is grossly unequal, lending a helping hand can mean a lot to people. One can be a philanthropist simply by standing beside someone who is in dire need of something. Hence, these philanthropy quotes motivate people who seek to do good for people who may not be in the best position right now. Philanthropy sayings and quotes help you to open up about providing help to people.
Best Philanthropy Quotes About Giving
In this section, you will find the best philanthropy quotes that will motivate you to create change in this world. Look out for the funny philanthropy quotes as they encourage you to help others while giving you a good laugh. Among the most famous quotes is "if not you who, if not now when" by Hillel which is one of the Jewish quotes about philanthropy. Read on for more such philanthropy quotes.
1. “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.”
‒ Albert Pike.
2. “No one has ever become poor by giving.”
‒ Anne Frank.
3. “In philanthropy, you have to take the attitude of a mother... You have to be patient, and we have been very patient for a long time.”
‒ Shiv Nadar.
4. “Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more.”
‒ H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
5. “We all should give what we have decided in our hearts to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”
‒ ‘Bible’, ‘2 Corinthians 9:7’.
6. “Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.”
‒ Minor Myres, Jr.
7. “Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.”
‒ Robert Louis Stevenson.
8. “Life is a gift, and it offers us the privilege, opportunity, and responsibility to give something back by becoming more.”
‒ Tony Robbins.
9. “No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
‒ Charles Dickens.
10. “To ease another's heartache is to forget one's own”
‒ Abraham Lincoln.
11. “You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
‒ John Bunyan.
12. “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.”
13. “If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And being for my own self, what am I? And if not now, when?”
‒ Hillel the Elder.
14. “You cannot mandate philanthropy. It has to come from within, and when it does, it is deeply satisfying.
‒ Azim Premji.
15. “A man of humanity is one who...desiring attainment for himself, helps others to attain.”
Famous Philanthropy Quotes And Sayings
A successful person should always seek to help others in society to alleviate their problems in a certain way. Check out quotes from a famous philanthropist like Warren Buffett philanthropy quotes, Bill Gates philanthropy quotes, and Andrew Carnegie quotes on philanthropy and charity to know more about their motto about helping others.
16. “Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.”
‒ Muhammad Ali.
17. “If you're in the luckiest one percent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 percent.”
‒ Warren Buffett.
18. “Effective philanthropy requires a lot of time and creativity – the same kind of focus and skills that building a business requires.”
‒ Bill Gates.
19. “You want to be the pebble in the pond that creates the ripple for change.”
‒ Tim Cook.
20. “My theme for philanthropy is the same approach I used with technology: to find a need and fill it.”
‒ An Wang.
21. “Wealth is not to feed our egos, but to feed the hungry and to help people help themselves.”
‒ Andrew Carnegie.
22. “Life’s persistent and most urgent question is, What are you doing for others?”
‒ Martin Luther King, Jr.
23. “The best philanthropy is constantly in search of the finalities—a search for a cause, an attempt to cure evils at their source.”
‒ John D. Rockefeller.
24. “It is every man’s obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it.”
‒ Albert Einstein.
25. “Mark’s decision shows that when it comes to philanthropy, 30 is the new 70.”
‒ Michael Bloomberg.
26. “Is the rich world aware of how 4 billion of the 6 billion live? If we were aware, we would want to help out, we’d want to get involved.”
‒ Bill Gates.
27. “Working for a just distribution of the fruits of the earth and human labor is not mere philanthropy. It is a moral obligation.”
‒ Pope Francis.
28. “Philanthropy is almost the only virtue which is sufficiently appreciated by mankind.”
‒ Henry David Thoreau, ‘Walden’.
29. “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.”
‒ Winston Churchill.
30. “Tell men that God is love; that right is right, and wrong, wrong; let them cease to admire philanthropy, and begin to love men; cease to pant for heaven, and begin to love God; then the spirit of liberty begins.”
‒ Frederick William Robertson, ‘Sermons Preached At Trinity Chapel’.
Powerful Women Philanthropy Quotes On Helping Others
Here you'll find motivational quotes, philanthropy, and charity quotes from women. These inspiring women keep rising in business and aren't reluctant to give away a lot in charity. These are some women philanthropists quotes who never shy away from showing charity to people.
31. “True giving from the heart is an expression of love.”
‒ Cara Stein.
32. “You don't have to be an angel, just be someone who can give.”
‒ Patti LaBelle.
33. “The goal of my shows, my interviews, my business, my philanthropy, all of it, whatever ventures I might pursue, would be to make clear that what unites us is ultimately far more redeeming and compelling than anything that separates me.”
‒ Oprah Winfrey.
34. “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
‒ Margaret Mead.
35. “Philanthropic innovation is not just about creating something new. It also means applying new thinking to old problems, processes, and systems.”
‒ Laura Arrillaga-Andreessen.
36. “If nature has made you for a giver, your hands are born open, and so is your heart; and though there may be times when your hands are empty, your heart is always full.”
‒ Frances Hodgson Burnett, ‘A Little Princess’.
37. “Giving is not just about making a donation. It is about making a difference.”
‒ Kathy Kalvin.
38. “Philanthropy is not about the money. It’s about using whatever resources you have at your fingertips and applying them to improving the world.”
‒ Melinda Gates.
39. “The most truly generous persons are those who give silently without hope of praise or reward.”
‒ Carol Ryrie Brink.
40. “It seemed to me that the people who were genuinely thriving in their lives were the ones who had made room for well-being, wisdom, wonder and giving.”
‒ Ariana Huffington.
41. “It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us…. This is where our love for each other must start.”
‒ Mother Teresa.
42. “What would the daughters of the rich do with themselves if the poor ceased to exist?”
‒ Angela Carter, ‘Saints And Strangers’.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for philanthropy quotes then why not take a look at millionaire quotes, or when life gets hard quotes.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.