What first comes to mind when you think of physics?
Is it a professor scribbling a physics questions on a paper? Or perhaps a scientist working out a complex equation?
Physics is one of the most intriguing, captivating, and engrossing subjects, but what is it? Well, everything in the universe has an undeniable effect on every other thing. That is what physicists study . Physics is the scientific study of heat, light, sound, electricity, pressure and more. There are multiple branches of physics, the ten main ones are: mechanics, thermodynamics, classical physics, light, sounds, electricity and magnetism, quantum physics, atomic physics, plasma physics and geophysics. We have put together this set of these difficult physics trivia to test your scientific knowledge. Read on to take up the challenge and answer these random physics facts trivia questions! If you are looking for a physics trivia quiz for the whole family, full of fun physics trivia facts, you can take answer these questions for physics with your children and friends too. There are even some funny physics questions in here too, something for every science lover!
Trivia About Physics Fun Facts
Are you looking for good physics questions and answers related to space, energy and sound? Here are some physics basics quiz questions, with answers as well!
1. Question: Which Renaissance scientist is credited with the discovery of the pendulum?
Answer: Galileo Galilei.
2. Question: What name is given to the science of sound?
3. Question: Name the SI unit of mass?
4. Question: What is the name of Isaac Newton's three extremely important laws?
Answer: Laws of Motion.
5. Question: Name the instrument used to measure gas pressure?
Answer: A manometer.
6. Question: Which physicist is more famous for his cat than for his equation?
Answer: Erwin Schrodinger.
7. Question: Can you name the tube used to produce X-rays?
Answer: Coolidge tube.
8. Question: What is a word used to describe a solid whose arrangement of atoms and molecules has no definite pattern?
9. Question: How are X-rays different to gamma rays in radiation therapy?
Answer: They are manmade.
Surprising Physics Facts Quiz Trivia Questions
There are so many interesting physics facts, for example did you know that our GPS systems that we rely on to direct us to where we need to be work using the physics formula E= mc 2? Crazy! Do you think you know all the answers to medical physics trivia and space quiz questions? Read on to see if you can answer these!
10. Question: Can you state the term used to describe an orbit's farthest point from Earth?
11. Question: What is the function of a capacitor?
Answer: It stores electrical energy.
12. Question: For what discovery did Albert Einstein win his first Nobel prize?
Answer: The photoelectric effect.
13. Question: Which is the main type of radiation that is emitted when a copper plate is heated to 100 degree centigrade?
Answer: Infrared radiation.
14. Question: Upon what two factors is the amount of kinetic energy of an object dependent?
Answer: Mass and velocity.
15. Question: The discovery of infrared radiation is credited to whom?
Answer: William Herschel.
16. Question: Can you state the year in which Max Planck introduced his quantum theory to science?
Physics Cool Facts Questions
Do you know all the cool facts of physics and all about its intricacies? Try this section of physics trivia questions for more space, motion and other science themed quiz questions, physics experts will love it!
17. Question: What is the force that allows an object submerged in fluid to rise to the top of a container?
Answer: Buoyant force.
18. Question: The hypothesis that all matter exists out of particles was first formulated by whom?
Answer: The Ancient Greeks.
19. Question: What do we mean by velocity?
Answer: Velocity is a measure of speed in a given direction.
20. Question: Who developed an equation that relates momentum and wavelength?
Answer: De Broglie.
21. Question: What is the name for the unit of the optical power of a lens?
22. Question: For what discovery did Karl Manne Georg Siegbahn win a Nobel Prize in 1924?
Answer: X-Ray Spectroscopy.
23. Question: What is the SI unit of heat?
24. Question: What is the term used to describe the bending of a light ray when it passes between materials of different densities?
25. Question: Which scientist discovered the photoelectric effect in 1887?
Answer: Heinrich Rudolf Hertz.
26. Question: What is emitted by the hot metal filament in a cathode ray tube?
27. Question: Can you name the phenomenon of light that is responsible for a CDs colorful look when exposed to light?
28. Question: Can you name the instrument used to communicate by light?
29. Question: Approximately how long does it take for light to travel from the sun to the earth?
Answer: Eight minutes.
30. Question: Which law states that at a constant temperature, the volume of a fixed mass of gas is inversely proportional to its pressure?
Answer: Boyle's Law.
31. Question: What causes the Aurora Borealis (also known as the Northern Lights)?
Answer: The colors are seen when electrical particles from the sun hit the earth's atmosphere.
32. Question: Which scientist worked on the basic principle for generating an electric current?
33. Question: The quality of a sound wave depends on what?
Answer: The shape of the wave.
34. Question: In which century was physics discovered?
Answer: The fourth century.
35. Question: What are the five main laws of physics?
Answer: Stefan's law, Coulomb's law, Newton's Laws of Motion, Ohm's law and Avogadro's law.
36. Question: Who is the most famous physicist?
Answer: Arguably, Albert Einstein.
37. Question: Which scientist discovered the phenomenon of superconductivity?
Answer: K. Onnes.
38. Question: For what does the acronym LASER stand?
Answer: Light Amplification through Stimulated Emission of Radiation.
39. Question: After which scientists' name is the unit of electric current named?
Answer: André-Marie Ampere.
40. Question: For what is a Pitot tube used in physics?
Answer: For measuring the velocity of fluids.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly trivia for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for 40 physics trivia questions (and answers) that defy all expectations, then why not look at our other trivia like biology trivia or chemistry trivia for more?
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.