Monopoly has been bringing families together for generations and is the undisputed king of the board games.
The rules of the game are clear, yet often lead to Monopoly fights over differing interpretations. Meanwhile, the many quirks of the game, largely unchanged since the 1930s, prompt the same old jokes from the players.
So whether you're playing the game for the first time, or settling down to a family tradition, see how many of these things happen.
1. The game begins with an argument over who gets to be the Scottie dog.
2. If the Scottie dog and the hat piece end up on the same board space, you must balance the hat upon the dog's head, as though nobody had ever thought of doing that before.
3. You get into a long and complex argument about the rules of the "Free Parking" space.
4. Whenever you land on the "Just Visiting" section of the jail square, you have to point out, with emphasis, that you are just visiting, and you are not a criminal.
5. Somebody turns over the card that says, "You have won second place in a beauty contest". There is no escaping the predictable comments.
6. You know it's a cliche, and you've been biting your tongue all game, but suddenly you glance down at your pile and... it just pops out: "I wish this were real money."
7. Nobody seems to know how Monopoly ends, even though the rules of the game are clear. One player will claim that the winner needs to own every property on the board. Another will hang on in there by taking out unsecured loans from the bank. A third version ends when one of the players accumulates a certain amount of money. Some would say that nobody is the winner in a game of capitalist excesses and unbridled greed. But we all love the board game really.
Other Family Activities: (perhaps with fewer arguments)
-Enjoy a family brunch
-Watch a documentary together
-Brave some other board games
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.