Humility is the virtue of being humble and not holding any excessive feeling of pride.
It is humility that makes a person more empathetic and aware of the feelings of others. Humility enables us to acknowledge the achievements and struggles of others and to offer help when needed.
We have gathered a list of popular quotes about humility to remind you to stay humble. With Bible quotes about humility, inspiring quotes about humility, relatable quotes about humility, and quotes about humility in leadership, there is the right humility quote to inspire everyone to stay humble here!
The Most Relatable Humility Quotes
Here is a list of relatable humility quotes that can guide you through the path to being a more humble person.
1. "A humble person is more likely to be self-confident… a person with real humility knows how much they are loved."
- Cornelius Plantinga.
2. "Humility is no substitute for a good personality."
- Fran Lebowitz.
3. "The proud man can learn humility, but he will be proud of it."
- Mignon McLaughlin.
4. "Humility isn't denying your strengths; it’s being honest about your weaknesses."
- Rick Warren.
5. "There is no respect for others without humility in one's self."
- Henri Frederic Amiel.
6. "Humility is becoming a lost art, but it's not difficult to practice. It means that you realize that others have been involved in your success."
- Harvey Mackay.
7. "Pride makes us artificial and humility makes us real."
- Thomas Merton.
8. "Be humble in your confidence yet courageous in your character."
- Melanie Koulouris.
9. "Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility."
- Saint Augustine.
Famous Quotes About Humility
Here are a few famous humility quotes that you wouldn't want to miss out on.
10. "It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."
- Mahatma Gandhi.
11. "One of the most important things about leadership is that you have to have the kind of humility that will allow you to be coached."
- Jim Yong Kim.
12. "Humility is the most beautiful virtue that we can develop."
- Joyce Meyer.
13. "We come nearest to the great when we are great in humility."
- Rabindranath Tagore.
14. "Working together on solving something requires a high level of humility and a high level of self-awareness."
- Paul Polman.
15. "Some ask if lowering one’s pride is conceding defeat. I think not. Humility is a sign of inner strength and wisdom."
- Haemin Sunim.
16. "Humility is the solid foundation of all virtues."
17. "Humility must accompany all our actions, must be with us everywhere; for as soon as we glory in our good works they are of no further value to our advancement in virtue."
- Saint Augustine.
18. "True humility is not an abject, groveling, self-despising spirit; it is but a right estimate of ourselves as God sees us."
- Tryon Edwards.
Enlightening Humility And Kindness Quotes
Humility and kindness are virtues that make you feel enlightened in every possible way. This quote-list aims to serve the same purpose.
19. "Humility, gentleness, and helpfulness go so much further and open doors you cannot imagine."
- Ann Tran.
20. "Just knowing you don't have the answers is a recipe for humility, openness, acceptance, forgiveness, and an eagerness to learn - and those are all good things."
- Dick Van Dyke.
21. "Humility will open more doors than arrogance ever will."
- Zig Ziglar.
22. "Who is more humble? The scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us, or somebody who says everything in this book must be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of all the human beings involved?"
- Carl Sagan.
23. "Humility is nothing else but a right judgment of ourselves."
- William Law.
24. "The greatest friend of truth is Time, her greatest enemy is Prejudice, and her constant companion is Humility."
- Charles Caleb Colton.
25. "The only wisdom we can hope to acquire is the wisdom of humility."
- T. S. Eliot.
26. "When it comes to true humility in the face of history, nothing beats complete silence."
- Lev Grossman.
27. "I believe the first test of a truly great man is in his humility."
- John Ruskin.
28. "Think not that humility is weakness; it shall supply the marrow of strength to thy bones. Stoop and conquer; bow thyself and become invincible."
- Charles Spurgeon.
Humility Quotes To Remember For Life
Some quotes help change your life and guide you through the tough times. Here are a few humility quotes that will hopefully help you throughout your lifetime. Check out the best humility quotes below. Which of these humility quotes is your favorite?
29. "Let us be absolutely clear about one thing: we must not confuse humility with false modesty or servility."
- Paulo Coelho.
30. "Have more humility. Remember you don't know the limits of your own abilities. Successful or not, if you keep pushing beyond yourself, you will enrich your own life--and maybe even please a few strangers."
- A. L. Kennedy.
31. "Without humility, there can be no humanity."
- John Buchan.
32. "It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels."
- Saint Augustine.
33. "Vanity is a mark of humility rather than of pride."
- Jonathan Swift.
34. "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less."
- Rick Warren.
35. "Humility has to do with trying to be a vessel of purposes you're content to understand as not your own."
- David Milch.
36. "Real genius is nothing else but the supernatural virtue of humility in the domain of thought."
- Simone Weil.
37. "Pride is concerned with who is right. Humility is concerned with what is right."
- Ezra T. Benson.
38. "Nothing is more deceitful than the appearance of humility. It is often only carelessness of opinion, and sometimes an indirect boast."
- Jane Austen.
39. "Humility, like gratitude, is not so much a technique as it is a way of life."
- Ed Latimore.
40. "I have three precious things which I hold fast and prize. The first is gentleness; the second is frugality; the third is humility, which keeps me from putting myself before others."
- Lao Tzu.
41. "... talent means nothing, while experience, acquired in humility and with hard work, means everything."
- Patrick Süskind.
42. "We can choose to humble ourselves by conquering enmity toward our brothers and sisters, esteeming them as ourselves, and lifting them as high or higher than we are."
- Ezra Taft Benson.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for quotes about humility then why not take a look at these keep trying quotes or quotes about understanding for more inspiring quotes to share with family and friends?
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.