Sacrifice refers to the practice of offering something for a greater cause like that of a victory.
Evidence of animal sacrifice to gods has been in practice since time immemorial. Common examples of sacrifices are those of soldiers who sacrifice their lives for the country.
Sacrifices can be worth it if they are done for love. Love can range from a loved one to a country! So if you want to know about sacrifice then check out these awesome quotes.
Best Quotes On Making Sacrifices
Enlisted below are some of the best quotes about making sacrifices along with Greek philosophers' quotes on sacrifices. You will also find 'why should I' sacrifice quotes.
1. "Let us sacrifice our today so that our children can have a better tomorrow."
- A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.
2. “Sacrifice is a part of life. It's supposed to be. It's not something to regret. It's something to aspire to.”
― Mitch Albom, 'The Five People You Meet In Heaven'.
3. “The speed of your success is limited only by your dedication and what you're willing to sacrifice”
― Nathan W. Morris.
4. "There is no success without sacrifice.”
- Tonic Motihala.
5. “Sometimes when you sacrifice something precious, you're not really losing it. You're just passing it on to someone else.”
― Mitch Albom, 'The Five People You Meet In Heaven'.
6. "A man who was completely innocent, offered himself as a sacrifice for the good of others, including his enemies, and became the ransom of the world. It was a perfect act.”
- Mahatma Gandhi.
7. "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
- Steve Prefontaine.
8. “Great achievement is usually born of great sacrifice, and is never the result of selfishness.”
- Napoleon Hill.
9. "The ultimate test of man's conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be heard.”
- Gaylord Nelson.
10. "True love is selfless. It is prepared to sacrifice."
- Sadhu Vaswani.
11. “Things change, people change, but you will always be you, so stay true to yourself and never sacrifice who you are for anyone.”
- Zayn Malik.
12. “The important thing is this: to be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.”
- Charles Du Bos.
13. "Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do."
Famous Sacrifice Quotes
Here are some of the most famous sacrifice quotes.
14. "Great leaders are willing to sacrifice the numbers to save the people. Poor leaders sacrifice the people to save the numbers."
- Simon Sinek.
15. "Let others laugh when you sacrifice desire to duty, if they will. You have time and eternity to rejoice in."
- Theodore Parker.
16. "But anyone who has really made sacrifices knows that he wanted and got something in return perhaps something for something of himself - that he gave up in order to have more here or at least to feel that he has 'more'."
- Friedrich Nietzsche.
17. "To attain eternal happiness one must suffer. He who has reached the state of self-sacrifice has true joy. Temporal joy will vanish."
18. "They never fail who die in a great cause."
- Lord Byron.
19. "Peace demands the most heroic labor and the most difficult sacrifice."
- Thomas Merton.
20. "A noble purpose inspires sacrifice, stimulates innovation and encourages perseverance."
- Gary Hamel.
21. "The only principles of public conduct that are worthy of a gentleman or a man are to sacrifice estate, ease, health, and applause, and even life, to the sacred calls of his country."
- James Otis.
22. "He who would accomplish little must sacrifice little; he who would achieve much must sacrifice much; he who would attain highly must sacrifice greatly.”
- James Allen.
23. "I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team, I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion."
- Mia Hamm.
24. "How truly blessed we shall be if at the price of even very great sacrifices we shall have made God known and loved by one more soul!"
- Rose Philippine Duchesne.
25. "Saddest of all are the women who were brought up to believe that self-sacrifice is the highest female virtue. They made the sacrifice, often willingly, and they are still waiting for the blessing."
26. "Follow your passion, be prepared to work hard and sacrifice, and, above all, don't let anyone limit your dreams."
- Donovan Bailey.
27. "If you have a dream, it's definitely achievable through hard work, through dedication, sacrifice, everything."
- Carli Lloyd.
Quotes On Self Sacrifice
Here are all the finest self-sacrifice quotes.
28. "When you make the sacrifice in marriage, you're sacrificing not to each other but to unity in a relationship."
- Joseph Campbell.
29. "Self-sacrifice? But it is precisely the self that cannot and must not be sacrificed."
- Ayn Rand.
30. "There is no success without sacrifice. If you succeed without sacrifice it is because someone has suffered before you. If you sacrifice without success it is because someone will succeed after."
- Adoniram Judson.
31. "The most sublime act is to set another before you."
- William Blake.
32. “No fine work can be done without concentration and self-sacrifice and toil and doubt."
- Max Beerbohm.
33. "Only he can understand what a farm is, what a country is, who shall have sacrificed part of himself to his farm or country, fought to save it, struggled to make it beautiful."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, ‘Flight To Arras’.
34. "Love is willing self-sacrifice for the good of another that does not require reciprocation or that the person being loved is deserving."
- Paul David Tripp.
35. "Self-indulgence leads only to misery. Nothing great or even worthwhile is ever accomplished without struggle through adversity and self-sacrifice"
- Maryam Jameelah.
36. "In order to be a true revolutionary, you must understand love. Love, sacrifice, and death."
- Sonia Sanchez.
37. "Dreams do come true, if only we wish hard enough. You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice everything else for it.”
- J.M. Barrie, 'Peter Pan'.
38. "Give unto me, made lowly wise, The spirit of self-sacrifice; The confidence of reason give, And in the light of truth thy bondman let me live!"
- William Wordsworth.
39. "For anything worth having one must pay the price; and the price is always work, patience, love, self-sacrifice - no paper currency, no promises to pay, but the gold of real service."
- John Burroughs.
40. "Self-denial is simply a method by which arrests his progress, and self-sacrifice a survival of the mutilation of the savage."
- Oscar Wilde.
41. "The important thing is this: to be able, at any moment, to sacrifice what we are for what we could become."
- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.
Quotes On Sacrifices For Love
Enlisted below are all the best quotes on sacrifices that one does for love.
42. "Such is my love, to thee I so belong,
That for thy right myself will bear all wrong."
- William Shakespeare.
43. "Love always involves responsibility, and love always involves sacrifice. And we do not really love Christ unless we are prepared to face His task and to take up His Cross."
- William Barclay.
44. "Great lovers have made great sacrifices."
- Louis Auchincloss.
45. "The happiness of married life depends upon making small sacrifices with readiness and cheerfulness."
- John Selden.
46. "Lust is about satisfaction. Love is about sacrificing, serving, surrendering, sharing, supporting, and even suffering for others. Most love songs are actually lust songs."
- Rick Warren.
47. "I guess that’s just part of loving people: You have to give things up. Sometimes you even have to give them up.”
- Lauren Oliver, 'Delirium'.
48. "Love doesn't please itself by seeking revenge. Love sacrifices itself for the good of others."
- Kerrelyn Sparks.
Cool Sacrifice Quotes And Sayings
Here you will find all the cool quotes and sayings about sacrifice.
49. "I have heard your heart and I am proud on how much you are willing to make the sacrifice."
50. "But to sacrifice what you are and to live without belief, that is a fate more terrible than dying."
- Joan of Arc.
51. "Time, for a man who has never truly felt a second of it, it not a great sacrifice."
- Josephine Hart.
52. "The good life is to be earned with hard work and sacrifice.”
53. "Sacrificing the happiness you feel is necessary and so you do in order to see others happy too."
54. "Non-cooperation is a measure of discipline and sacrifice, and it demands respect for the opposite views."
- Mahatma Gandhi.
55. "It is not enough to say we must not wage war. It is necessary to love peace and sacrifice for it."
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
56. "At the end of the day, we all want to win, so everybody has to sacrifice when you want to be a part of something special."
- Jayson Tatum.
57. "Brotherhood means laying down your life for somebody, really willing to sacrifice yourself for somebody else."
- Tim Hetherington.
58. "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
- Edmund Burke.
59. "The higher nature in man always seeks for something which transcends itself and yet is its deepest truth; which claims all its sacrifice, yet makes this sacrifice its own recompense. This is man's dharma, man's religion, and man's self is the vessel."
- Rabindranath Tagore.
60. "Cheerfulness is a sign of a generous and mortified person who forgetting all things, even herself, tries to please her God in all she does for souls. Cheerfulness is often a cloak which hides a life of sacrifice and a continual union with God."
- Mother Teresa.
61. "The only honorable, desirable kind of fear that shouldn't be feared is the fear of harm on a loved one. It's the kind of fear that leads to self-sacrifice and the kind of fear where you would truly jump in front of a bus to save another."
- Criss Jami.
* Do you know where this quote originated? Please email us to let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for sacrifice quotes then why not take a look at quotes on compassion, or [quotes on regretting].
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.