We are all quite familiar with the legend of the Sphinx from 'Oedipus Rex' by Sophocles.
The Sphinx in Greek mythology is a creature with a human head or that of a cat, falcon, or a sheep, the body of a lion, and bird wings. She is said to be as treacherous as she is relentless and kills and consumes all those who fail to answer her riddles.
Sphinx mythical riddles have been commonly and popularly portrayed in pop culture and also as quests and side quests in various video games. Here's an amazing list of some of the best Sphinx riddles that take people back to the early ages.
Assassin's Creed Odyssey Sphinx Riddles
The Greek Sphinx Riddles in 'Assassin's Creed Odyssey' (released in 2018) is a very intriguing side-quest available upon completing 'A Family's Legacy'. It appears in the "Lore of the Sphinx" mission, which is available in Boeotia. After completing this mission, you will be rewarded with a Sphinx Ship cosmetic comprising of the Mace of the Sphinx, Sphinx Figurehead, and the Prize of the Sphinx and will also unlock the Achievement named "Riddle me this." However, if you choose to battle the Sphinx, however, she will answer by saying, "You have no choice," but this will not be of any use in the end. Here is a list of all twelve Sphinx riddles that appear in this mission.
1. What can bring back the dead; make you cry, make you laugh, make you young; is born in an instant, yet lasts a lifetime. Answer: Memory.
2. This thing all things devour: birds, beasts, trees, flowers; gnaws iron, bites steel; grinds hard stones to the meal. Answer: Time.
3. Some try to hide, some try to cheat; but time will show, we always will meet. Try as you might to guess my name. Answer: Death.
4. As small as your thumb, I am light in the air. You may hear me before you see me, but trust that I'm here. Answer: Hummingbird.
5. I'm alive, but without breath; I'm as cold in life as in death; I'm never thirsty, though I always drink. Answer: Fish.
6. I create my lair with earthen string, and dispatch my prey with a biting sting. Answer: Spider.
7. What is always old and sometimes new; never sad, sometimes blue; never empty, but sometimes full; never pushes, always pulls? Answer: Moon.
8. Never resting, never still; moving silently from hill to hill; it does not walk, run or trot; all is cool where it is not. Answer: Sun.
9. At night they come without being fetched, and by day they are lost without being stolen. Answer: Stars.
10. In spring I am gay in stunning array; in summer, more clothing I wear; when colder it grows, I fling off my clothes; and in winter quite naked appear. Answer: Tree.
11. What is large, yet never grows; has roots that cannot be seen; is taller than trees? Answer: Mountain.
12. What can run, but never walks; has a mouth, but never talks; has a head, but never weeps; has a bed, but never sleeps? Answer: River.
Sphinx Riddles With Answers
The Sphinx is known to be the Goddess of riddles in Greek mythology known for her "Four Powers" which are, to will, to know, to keep silent and to dare. Here's a mysterious list of some of the best mind-bending Sphinx riddles that are worthy of being easily passed off as the Sphinx's riddle.
13. I have a thundering roar, and a hurried gait. I perpetually run yet in a sole place I wait. I have an endless mouth that runs deep. I lie in a bed, but cannot sleep. Answer: River.
14. I need no sound for a perfect pitch. My canopy is closer than forest trees. I have no stories. What I do have is a plot. I have more men even when many do knot. Answer: Tent.
15. I cannot fly despite my wings. I have stories, but I cannot lie. I am hardly afraid, but yet, I am dwelling. I Am Estate yet are pristine. Answer: Mansion.
16. I have Quays but I cannot open any locks. I am no vessel, but I can hold many people as well as water. I do not have any children but many make birth. Answer: A Dock.
17.You can throw me out but you cannot lock me away. I can hardly survive when extremes are in play. You will most definitely fall if you lose me but if you have to keep me, you will not be able to do it all. Answer: Balance.
18. I hear with no ears and speak with no mouth. I do not have a body, but I am alive when the wind blows. Answer: Echo.
19. I seem clear but when you look through me, things get warped. I can be used both for better and for worse. Answer: Glass.
20. I am a tree that has no roots. I am bread with no taste. We live together yet not freely. I am a home that needs no place. Answer: Family.
21. A first with no purpose and a second with no place. A third that is spoiled rotten are all confined to one space. Answer: Siblings.
22. You mustn't have knowledge of me to be me. I bring you true bliss. If you want to unlearn me you have to learn another, but without me, you should always know where you stand. Answer: Ignorance.
23. You work to the top after starting from the very bottom without having to even move an inch. You can go backward only by going up. It will constantly get bigger and wider and never really stop. Answer: Family Tree.
24. I disappear in the dark and appear in the day. You cannot feel me if you touch me. Answer: Shadow.
25. I can run but I cannot walk and thoughts follow me wherever I go. Answer: Nose.
26. If you feed me with food, I will survive. But if you make me drink water I will perish. Answer: Fire.
Sphinx Questions And Answers In Mythology, Media And Books
The riddles of the Sphinx have been popularly portrayed in Sophocles' 'Oedipus Rex.' Modern media has also been inspired by the lore of the Sphinx and has incorporated a Sphinx riddle in books, movies, and games. If you are looking for a Sphinx riddle also with an answer to the riddle from both mythology and pop culture like the riddle in 'Gods of Egypt', 'Harry Potter', Greek riddles, and the like, here is a list of them all.
27. What is it that only has a sole voice and is four-footed in the morning and two-footed in the noon and three-footed in the evening? Answer: Man.
- 'Oedipus Rex,' Sophocles.
28. Amongst two sisters, the first one gives birth to the other and she further gives birth to the first. Who are they? Answer: Day and Night.
- 'Oedipus Rex,' Sophocles.
29. "First think of the person who lives in disguise, Who deals in secrets and tells naught but lies. Next, tell me what's always the last thing to mend, The middle of middle and end of the end? And finally, give me the sound often heard During the search for a hard-to-find word. Now string them together, and answer me this, Which creature would you be unwilling to kiss?" Answer: Spider
-'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,' J. K. Rowling, 2000.
30. "I never was, am always to be. No one ever saw me, nor ever will, and yet, I am the confidence of all who live and breathe. What am I?" Answer: Tomorrow.
-'Gods of Egypt,' 2016.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of great family-friendly riddles for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for Sphinx riddles then why not take a look at Long riddles or Classic riddles.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.