It has been said, ‘Those who tell stories rule the world.’
The saying is not wrong. Storytellers have the power to influence and change the outside world for good through the most traditional human practice of communicating and connecting with humanity, storytelling.
Storytelling has been proved to be one of the most efficient practices of connecting with people, creating bonds, and gathering attention which is as important as any other survival instinct. It is responsible for bringing many new ideas into the world and has become a potent way to put ideas in front of readers. Let’s browse through some of the most loved and famous storytelling quotes, along with quotes about storytelling and reading, to inspire all book lovers and budding storytellers out there. You'll find quotes from Margaret Atwood, Robert Mckee and more.
If you enjoy this article of storytelling quotes, you may also want to go through book lover quotes and [reading quotes for kids] from our collection.
Inspirational Storytelling Quotes
Stories are never-ending tales that enlighten us with hidden talents and cherished memories of others that all of us aspire and enjoy. Let’s take a look at some of the most inspirational storytelling quotes for a budding writer, readers, and storytellers to read.
1. “The future belongs to a different kind of person with a different kind of mind: artists, inventors, storytellers-creative and holistic ‘right-brain’ thinkers.”
- Daniel Pink.
2. “There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
- Ernest Hemingway.
3. “My life is storytelling. I believe in stories, in their incredible power to keep people alive, to keep the living alive, and the dead.”
- Tim O’Brien.
4. “Dialogue should simply be a sound among other sounds, just something that comes out of the mouths of people whose eyes tell the story in visual terms."
- Alfred Hitchcock.
5. “I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn.”
- Anne Frank.
6. “Stories are a communal currency of humanity.”
- Tahir Shah.
7. “Two or three things I know for sure, and one of them is that to go on living I have to tell stories, that stories are the one sure way I know to touch the heart and change the world.”
- Dorothy Allison.
8. “Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can’t remember who we are or why we’re here.”
- Sue Monk Kidd.
9. “Inside each of us is a natural-born storyteller, waiting to be released.”
- Robin Moore.
10. “Stories constitute the single most powerful weapon in a leader’s arsenal.”
- Dr. Howard Gardner.
11. “Stories make us more alive, more human, more courageous, more loving.”
- Madeleine L’Engle .
12. “Many stories matter. Stories have been used to dispossess and to malign. But stories can also be used to empower, and to humanize. Stories can break the dignity of a people. But stories can also repair that broken dignity.”
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
13. “The human species thinks in metaphors and learns through stories.”
- Mary Catherine Bateson.
14. “There have been great societies that did not use the wheel, but there have been no societies that did not tell stories.”
- Ursula K. Le Guin.
15. “We tell stories in order to feel at home in the universe.”
- Roger Bingham.
16. “Marketing is no longer about the stuff that you make, but about the stories you tell.”
– Seth Godin.
17. “Media is a double-edged sword and has the power to change hearts and minds through authentic storytelling as well as the power to paint a person, or an entire community, in a dim and misleading light.”
- Angelica Ross.
18. “That’s what storytellers do. We restore order with imagination. We instill hope again and again.”
- Walt Disney.
19. “A story has no beginning or end: arbitrarily one chooses that moment of experience from which to look back or from which to look ahead.”
- Graham Greene.
20. “People create stories create people; or rather stories create people create stories.”
- Chinua Achebe.
Famous Storytelling Quotes For Book Lovers
Stories connect people. Everybody has so many stories to share with the world outside, but only some do, which makes us realize the importance and need of storytelling. Let’s take a look at some of the most famous storytelling quotes for book lovers to enjoy and reaffirm their love and need for stories.
21. “The very reason I write is so that I might not sleepwalk through my entire life.”
- Zadie Smith.
22. “I think you’re a fairy tale. I think you’re magical, and brave, and exquisite. And I hope you’ll let me be in your story.”
- Laini Taylor.
23. “No story lives unless someone wants to listen. The stories we love best do live in us forever. So whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
- J.K. Rowling.
24. “My stories run up and bite me on the leg - I respond by writing down everything that goes on during the bite. When I finish, the idea lets go and runs off.”
- Ray Bradbury.
25. “Narrative imagining — story — is the fundamental instrument of thought. Rational capacities depend upon it. It is our chief means of looking into the future, or predicting, of planning, and of explaining.”
- Mark Turner.
26. “The world is shaped by two things — stories told and the memories they leave behind.”
- Vera Nazarian.
27. “Storytelling reveals meaning without committing the error of defining it.”
- Hannah Arendt.
28. “The fact of storytelling hints at a fundamental human unease, hints at human imperfection. Where there is perfection there is no story to tell.”
- Ben Okri.
29. “If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.”
- Toni Morrison.
30. “Story is the umbilical cord that connects us to the past, present, and future. Story is a relationship between the teller and the listener, a responsibility. Story is an affirmation of our ties to one another.”
- Terry Tempest Williams.
31. “Storytelling is among the oldest forms of communication. Storytelling is the commonality of all human beings, in all places, in all times.”
- Rives Collins.
32. “Storytelling is the essential human activity. The harder the situation, the more essential it is.”
- Tim O’Brien.
33. “People are hungry for stories. It’s part of our very being. Storytelling is a form of history, of immortality too. It goes from one generation to another.”
- Studs Terkel.
34. “Sometimes reality is too complex. Stories give it form.”
- Jean Luc Godard.
35. “The stories we tell literally make the world. If you want to change the world, you need to change your story. This truth applies both to individuals and institutions.”
- Michael Margolis.
36. “Humans are not ideally set up to understand logic; they are ideally set up to understand stories.”
- Roger C. Schank.
37. “Most of the basic material a writer works with is acquired before the age of fifteen.”
- Willa Cather.
38. “We are all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn’t a stronger connection between people than storytelling.”
- Jimmy Neil Smith.
39. “We’re supposed to be tellers of tales as well as purveyors of facts. When we don’t live up to that responsibility, we don’t get read.”
- William Blundell.
40. “You don’t write because you want to say something, you write because you have something to say.”
- F. Scott Fitzgeral.
41. “As long as we are engaged in storytelling that moves the culture forward, it doesn’t matter what format it is.”
- Levar Burton.
Best Reading And Storytelling Quotes
Storytelling is one of the easiest yet the most challenging way of lightening our imagination, bringing out our past, and intriguing our mind with a vibrant imagination. Let’s take a look at some of the best storytelling quotes that will inspire all book lovers out there.
42. “Reports convey information. Stories create experience. Reports transfer knowledge. Stories transport the reader, crossing boundaries of time, space, and imagination. The report points us there. The story puts us there.”
- Roy Peter Clark.
43. “Facts don’t have the power to change someone’s story. Your goal is to introduce a new story that will let your facts in.”
- Annette Simmons.
44. “All great literature is one of two stories; a man goes on a journey or a stranger comes to town.”
- Leo Tolstoy.
45. “I’m obsessed with giving the audience something they don’t see coming.”
- Jordan Peele.
46. “Storytelling is the most powerful way to put ideas into the world.”
- Robert McKee.
47. “Great stories happen to those who can tell them.”
- Ira Glass.
48. “The shortest distance between two people is a story.”
- Patti Digh.
49. “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
- Maya Angelou.
50. “Movie-making is telling a story with the best technology at your disposal.”
- Tom Hanks.
51. “A boy’s story is the best that is ever told.”
- Charles Dickens.
52. “Storytelling is not what I do for a living - it is how I do all that I do while I am living.”
- Donald Davis.
53. “For me, the drive is storytelling. To be a part of an art that tells a story and to be a catalyst, a color in that, is very exciting.”
- Alden Ehrenreich.
54. “Writing is something you do alone. It's a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don’t want to make eye contact while doing it.”
- John Green.
55. “The most amazing thing for me is that every single person who sees a movie, not necessarily one of my movies, brings a whole set of unique experiences, but through careful manipulation and good storytelling, you can get everybody to clap at the same time, to hopefully laugh at the same time, and to be afraid at the same time.”
- Steven Spielberg.
56. “The best way to bring people in and have them empathize with others is through storytelling.”
- Lee Unkrich.
57. “Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what’s going to happen next.”
- Gilda Radner.
58. “Stories are memory aids, instruction manuals and moral compasses.”
- Aleks Krotoski.
Motivational Storytelling Quotes From Authors
Many people tell their stories, but only a few of them are capable of touching our hearts. The practice of storytelling has been regarded as an art that makes a massive impact on your audience. It has the power to influence the world. Let’s take a look at some of the most motivational storytelling quotes from authors themselves for you to read and learn.
59. “In the light, we read the inventions of others; in the darkness we invent our own stories.”
- Alberto Manguel.
60. “We are, as a species, addicted to story. Even when the body goes to sleep, the mind stays up all night, telling itself stories.”
- Jonathan Gottschall.
61. Storytelling captures an aspect of childhood experience when being told a story was a common ritual. It’s a warm place for most of us and in some ways represents our first listening experience in really listening.”
- Paul Lansky.
62. “Whenever you find yourself laughing at a situation or shaking your head or saying to someone, ‘Listen to this,’ you’ve probably got a story.”
- Ken Fuson.
63. “I’m writing my story so that others might see fragments of themselves.”
- Lena Waithe.
64. “Stories are our primary tools of learning and teaching, the repositories of our lore and legends. They bring order into our confusing world. Think about how many times a day you use stories to pass along data, insights, memories or common-sense advice.”
- Edward Miller.
65. “We’re so complex; we’re mysteries to ourselves; we’re difficult to each other. And then storytelling reminds us we’re all the same.”
- Brad Pitt.
66. “Write the kind of story you would like to read. People will give you all sorts of advice about writing, but if you are not writing something you like, no one else will like it either.”
- Meg Cabot.
67. “A good story cannot be devised; it has to be distilled.”
- Raymond Chandler.
68. “If a story is not about the hearer he will not listen. And here I made a rule – a great and interesting story is about everyone or it will not last.”
- John Steinbeck.
69. “The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon.”
- Brandon Sanderson.
70. “Stories are the creative conversion of life itself into a more powerful, clearer, more meaningful experience. They are the currency of human contact.”
- Robert McKee.
71. “The stories we tell literally make the world. If you want to change the world, you need to change your story. This truth applies both to individuals and institutions.”
- Michael Margolis.
72. “Think about the word destroy. Do you know what it is? De-story...Destroy...Destroy. You see...And restore. That’s re-story. Do you know that only two things have been proven to help survivors of the Holocaust? Massage is one...Telling their story is another...Being touched and touching...Telling your story is touching...It sets you free.”
- Francesca Lia Block.
73. “Dogs sniff each other. Huan beings tell stories. This is our native language.”
74. “All I need is a sheet of paper and something to write with, and then I can turn the world upside down.”
- Friedrich Nietzsche.
75. “There are books full of great writing that don’t have very good stories. Read sometimes for the story... don’t be like the book-snobs who won’t do that. Read sometimes for the words--the language. Don’t be like the play-it-safers who won’t do that. But when you find a book that has both a good story and good words, treasure that book.”
- Stephen King.
76. “Whether you’re writing a horror show or a James Bond film, I think what bubbles beneath is interesting characterization. The colors that emerge through storytelling is what a dramatist does. There’s always got to be something bubbling underneath that will erupt at some point.”
- John Logan.
77. “Tell me a fact, and I’ll learn. Tell me a truth, and I’ll believe. But tell me a story, and it will live in my heart forever.”
- Ed Sabol.
78. “All the best stories are but one story in reality - the story of escape. It is the only thing which interests us all and at all times, how to escape.”
- A. C. Benson.
Famous Quotes About Storytelling
If you think anything is going to kill storytelling, then simply forget about it. Everybody has stories to tell, but not everyone is strong and talented enough to be a writer or storyteller. And so, storytelling has been regarded as the most significant practice and tradition of humanity that intrigues everyone. Let’s take a look at some of the most famous quotes about storytelling for motivating budding writers, storytellers, as well as listeners out there.
79. “Perhaps some day I’ll crawl back home, beaten, defeated. But not as long as I can make stories out of my heartbreak, beauty out of sorrow.”
- Sylvia Path.
80. “What have I learned from talking to all these famous people? That there’s a major story behind everyone.”
- Merv Griffin.
81. “If you wish to influence an individual or a group to embrace a particular value in their daily lives, tell them a compelling story.”
- Annette Simmons.
82. “After nourishment, shelter and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world.”
- Philip Pullman.
83. “I find that most people know what a story is until they sit down to write one.”
- Flannery O’Connor.
84. “You’re never going to kill storytelling, because it’s built in the human plan. We come with it.”
- Margaret Atwood.
85. “Writing is storytelling and all of us are authors, not just of words but of reality. You are the author of your life, so go out and live! Then never quit writing about it!”
- Ben Mikaelsen.
86. “The true alchemists do not change lead into gold; they change the world into words.”
- William H. Gass.
87. Storytelling is our obligation to the next generation. If all we are doing is marketing, we are doing a disservice, and not only to our profession, but to our children, and their children. Give something of meaning to your audience by inspiring, engaging, and educating them with story. Stop marketing. Start storytelling.”
- Laura Holloway.
88. “Stories create community, enable us to see through the eyes of other people, and open us to the claims of others.”
- Peter Forbes.
89. Storytelling is ultimately a creative act of pattern recognition. Through characters, plot and setting, a writer creates places where previously invisible truths become visible. Or the storyteller posits a series of dots that the reader can connect.”
- Douglas Coupland.
90. “There’s always room for a story that can transport people to another place.”
- J.K. Rowling.
91. “The greatest art in the world is the art of storytelling.”
- Cecil B. DeMille.
Quotes On Storytelling
The age-old tradition of storytelling has been regarded as the strongest way to bond and communicate with humanity. It's important to praise storytellers for the powerful way they tell a good story. Let’s take a look at some of the best quotes on storytelling that will tell you to do the same.
92. “People have forgotten how to tell a story. Stories don’t have a middle or an end any more. They usually have a beginning that never stops beginning.”
- Steven Spielberg.
93. “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
- Ernest Hemingway.
94. “I’ll tell you a secret. Old storytellers never die. They disappear into their own story.”
- Vera Nazarian.
95. “People think that stories are shaped by people. In fact, it’s the other way around.”
- Terry Pratchett.
96. “Tell a relevant, targeted, transparent story, and the whole world will share it.”
- Randall Lane.
97. “Scratch the surface in a typical boardroom and we’re all just cavemen with briefcases, hungry for a wise person to tell us stories.”
- Alan Kay.
98. “I realized the importance of having a story today is what really separates companies. People don’t just wear our shoes; they tell our story.”
- Blake Mycoskie.
99. “I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions.”
- James A. Michener.
100. “Artists should always think of themselves as cosmic instruments for storytelling.”
- Ted Lange.
101. “It’s like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
- Patrick Rothfuss.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for storytelling quotes to inspire all book lovers, why not look at [funny book quotes] or [A.A. Milne quotes].
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.