Everyone knows how dependent we humans are on the environment.
By now, most of us have a decent understanding of concepts like global warming. Sustainability quotes bring about a deeper understanding of the need to amend our way of life to protect the planet.
Sustainability is important because the earth only has a finite number of resources. If we humans want to extend our stay, we will have to learn how to live in a sustainable manner. Sustainability quotes will inspire us to adhere to our responsibilities as people of this planet in making it a green one.
If you are looking for even more quotes on sustainability, why not have a look at [conservation quotes] and [recycling quotes], but for now let’s take a look at some sustainability quotes that will help us preserve our planet each day.
Important Sustainability Quotes About The Environment
These sustainability quotes will shed light on the importance of the environment we love, and looking after it in the right, sustainable way. These sustainability quotes will help us achieve great things, spread love, and look forward to a better day!
1. “Every creature is better alive than dead, men and moose and pine trees, and he who understands it aright will rather preserve its life than destroy it.”
- Henry David Thoreau, ‘The Maine Woods’.
2. “The greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it.”
- Robert Swan.
3. “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
- Margaret Mead.
4. “He that plants trees loves others besides himself.”
- Thomas Fuller.
5. “If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago. If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into chaos.”
- Edward O Wilson.
6. “We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if mankind is to survive.”
- Albert Einstein.
7. “The first rule of sustainability is to align with natural forces, or at least not try to defy them.”
- Paul Hawken.
8. “Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed.”
- Mahatma Gandhi.
9. “Everything depends on our ability to sustainably inhabit this earth, and true sustainability will require us all to change our way of thinking on how we take from the earth and how we give back.”
- Deb Haaland.
10. “Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land.”
- Aldo Leopold.
11. “Sooner or later, we will have to recognize that the Earth has rights, too, to live without pollution.”
- Evo Morales.
12. “Sustainability is the key to our survival on this planet and will also determine success on all levels.”
- Shari Arison.
13. “Sustainability is important because we all are responsible to nourish our planet.”
- Denise Morrison.
14. “All must pay the debt of nature.”
- Annie Proulx.
15. “The natural environment sustains the life of all beings universally.”
- Dalai Lama.
16. “We should bring in an environmental attitude, and I think luxury should automatically be about sustainability and quality.”
- Jochen Zeitz.
17. “Where the quality of life goes down for the environment, the quality of life goes down for humans.”
- George Holland.
Business Sustainability Quotes
Businesses will play an integral part in shaping the future of both man and this planet. Here are some sustainability quotes that will help businesses do the right thing and go green. Which of these quotes inspires you?
18. “Sustainability has to be a way of life to be a way of business.”
- Anand Mahindra.
19. “Since most corporate competitors have the same problems with sustainability and social reputation, it’s worth trying to solve them together.”
- Simon Mainwaring.
20. “A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people.”
- Franklin D. Roosevelt.
21. “The future is green energy, sustainability, renewable energy.”
- Arnold Schwarzenegger.
22. “When sustainability is viewed as being a matter of survival for your business, I believe you can create massive change.”
- Cameron Sinclair.
23. “Climate protection creates sustainability and jobs in the real economy - in construction, in the production of heavy machinery and in systems engineering.”
- Sigmar Gabriel.
24. “Sustainability can’t be like some sort of a moral sacrifice or political dilemma or a philanthropical cause. It has to be a design challenge.”
- Bjarke Ingels.
25. “Sustainability makes good business sense, and we're all on the same team at the end of the day. That's the truth about the human condition.”
- Paul Polman.
26. “The best way to predict the future is to create it.”
- Peter Drucker.
27. “We learned that economic growth and environmental protection can and should go hand in hand.”
- Christopher Dodd.
28. “Sustainability is about ecology, economy, and equity.”
- Ralph Bicknese.
29. “No matter how complex global problems may seem, it is we ourselves who have given rise to them. They cannot be beyond our power to resolve.”
- Daisaku Ikeda.
30. “Our biggest challenge in this new century is to take an idea that seems abstract – sustainable development – and turn it into a reality for all the world’s people.”
- Kofi Annan.
31. “The principle of common but differentiated responsibilities is the bedrock of our enterprise for a sustainable world.”
- Narendra Modi.
32. “Being a good human being is good business.”
- Paul Hawken.
33. “Progress is measured by the speed at which we destroy the conditions that sustain life.”
- George Monbiot.
34. “People 'over-produce' pollution because they are not paying for the costs of dealing with it.”
- Ha-Joon Chang, ‘23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism’.
35. “If it can’t be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled, or composted, then it should be restricted, designed or removed from production.”
- Pete Seeger.
Inspirational Sustainability Quotes
Man needs inspiration every day to perform to the best of his abilities. Sustainability quotes can inspire people to do something good each day and induce positive outcomes. People know that work needs to be done and these sustainability quotes can inspire them to take a step in the right direction day by day.
36. “Looking at the world through a sustainability lens not only helps us 'future proof' our supply chain, it also fuels innovation and drives brand growth.”
- Paul Polman.
37. "What mankind must know is that human beings cannot live without Mother Earth, but the planet can live without humans."
- Evo Morales.
38. “Each one of us matters, has a role to play, and makes a difference. Each one of us must take responsibility for our own lives, and above all, show respect and love for living things around us, especially each other.”
- Jane Goodall.
39. “It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living.”
- David Attenborough.
40. “Going back to a simpler life based on living by sufficiency rather than excess is not a step backward.”
- Yvon Chouinard.
41. “In the 21st century, I think the heroes will be the people who will improve the quality of life, fight poverty and introduce more sustainability.”
- Bertrand Piccard.
42. “Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts.”
- Rachel Carson.
43. “Our planet’s alarm is going off, and it is time to wake up and take action!”
- Leonardo DiCaprio.
44. “There is a tendency at every important but difficult crossroad to pretend that it's not really there.”
- Bill McKibben, ‘The End Of Nature’.
45. “There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.”
- Marshall McLuhan.
46. “We can sit back, do nothing and watch our planet be destroyed. Or we can take action, become advocates and start making lifestyle choices which are kinder to people and the planet.”
- Kira Simpson.
47. “The only way forward, if we are going to improve the quality of the environment, is to get everybody involved.”
- Richard Rogers.
48. “We don’t have to engage in grand, heroic actions to participate in change.”
- Howard Zinn.
49. “You are not helping the planet, you are not helping nature, you are the planet, you are nature, you are helping yourself.”
- Bangambiki Habyarimana, ‘The Great Pearl Of Wisdom’.
Sustainability Quotes About Global Warming And Climate Change
These quotes will make us work little by little every day, to work towards a better, greener day. Conserving the environment and working towards a better day with sustainable solutions is a must to ensure the survival of the human race and many other species of life. These sustainability quotes will convey the need to curb our ways.
50. “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
- Mahatma Gandhi.
51. “Nature bears witness to sacred beauty.”
- Lailah Gifty Akita.
52. “Global warming is not a conqueror to kneel before - but a challenge to rise to. A challenge we must rise to.”
- Joe Lieberman.
53. “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
- Aldo Leopold.
54. “I would like nuclear fusion to become a practical power source. It would provide an inexhaustible supply of energy, without pollution or global warming.”
- Stephen Hawking.
55. "Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world."
- Howard Zinn.
56. “Nurture nature and nature nurtures us all.”
- Paul Wheaton, ‘Building A Better World In Your Backyard - Instead Of Being Angry At Bad Guys’.
57. “Plans to protect air and water, wilderness and wildlife are in fact plans to protect man.”
- Stewart Udall.
58. “Global warming is too serious for the world any longer to ignore its danger or split into opposing factions on it.”
- Tony Blair.
59. “Climate change is destroying our path to sustainability. Ours is a world of looming challenges and increasingly limited resources. Sustainable development offers the best chance to adjust our course.”
- Ban Ki-moon.
60. “Planting and growing increasing quantities of trees is the scientific solution to Earth's environmental dilemma.”
- Richard Barbe-Baker.
61. “The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man.”
- Friedrich Nietzsche.
62. “We cannot command Nature except by obeying her.”
- Francis Bacon.
63. “What we are doing to the forests of the world is but a mirror reflection of what we are doing to ourselves and to one another.”
- Chris Maser, ‘Forest Primeval: The Natural History Of An Ancient Forest’.
64. “What is the use of a house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?”
- Henry David Thoreau, ‘Familiar Letters’.
65. “Look after the land and the land will look after you, destroy the land and it will destroy you.”
- Australian Aboriginal proverb.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly articles for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for 65+ sustainability quotes to help us preserve our planet, then why not take a look at these [support small business quotes] or [conscience quotes] too?
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.