The 'teddy' got its name in 1901, when the president of the United States of America, Theodore Roosevelt, refused to shoot a cub during a hunting trip. This news spread across the country, and toy bears became widely made and sold across America, called 'Teddy Bears,' after the president, and they've been our worldwide favourite stuffed toy ever since.
Choosing their teddy bear's name lets your child use their imagination, and connect more deeply with their teddy bear. By giving a toy a name and deciding if it's a girl or boy teddy, or a gender-neutral bear, you can create a unique personality for the toy, and they can become the special friend your little one loves and adores for a long time to come.
Finding the perfect name can be hard, but we've come up with some of our favourite teddy bears names to help boost your little one's creativity and bring your bear to life.
We think our list has some of the best teddy bear names out there, and we hope it sparks your imagination to create a special name for your child's special friend.
Cute Teddy Bear Names
Choosing the name for teddy bear can be tough, but sometimes a cute classic is best! Check out our favourite cute choices for some adorable inspiration.
11) Baby Bear
Classic Names For Classic Bears
These old-time classics are the best choice for fancy friends who love attending fancy tea parties!
The Sweetest Names
If your child has a bear with soft brown fur, these cute, yummy names might be what you choose!
Funny Teddy Bear Names
For cheeky bears with naughty tendencies, these popular funny name choices will make you and your child laugh.
46) Eddy the Teddy
47) Fuzzy Wuzzy
48) Mr. Bear
51) Mr Hugglesworth
54) Mr Fluffles
Girly Names For Teddy Bears
For the sweetest care bears, these popular name choices might be your child's top choice.
If your child is a big Disney fan, you'll love these name ideas from our favourite Disney movies!
Famous Teddy Bear Names
For a child who likes the idea of a bear with a name no one will forget, try out some of these for size.
Names For Pairs Of Teddy Bears
Why not take inspiration from your favourite double acts when naming two new teddy bears?
101) Anna and Elsa
102) Ant and Dec
103) Batman and Robin
104) Fred and Ginger
105) Ketchup and Mayo
106) Mario and Luigi
107) Mickey and Minnie
108) Milk and Cookies
109) Peppa and George
110) Pikachu and Ash
111) Salt and Pepper
Winter Teddy Bear Names
Perfect for bears who are wrapped up warm for the winter, or have snowy white fur.
Boy Teddy Names Starting With T
These names are great for those who want to use alliteration when naming their terrific teddy toy!
Girl Teddy Names Starting With T
Why not use alliteration when naming your girl teddy too?
Tips For Naming Your Teddy
Naming a teddy might seem like a simple task to most adults, but it is actually something that kids like to put a lot of thought and care into. Follow these top tips to ensure that the name your child picks suits their newest teddy bear perfectly!
1) Take inspiration from your toy’s appearance. Is your bear soft, fluffy and cuddly? If so a gentle and sweet name might be best such as Softie or Mr Fluffles. A bear with brown fur might suit a classic teddy name such as Walter or Ernie, whilst winter inspired names like Snowdrop and Blizzard are perfect for teddy bears with white fur. Ask your child to describe what the teddy looks like and use the words they come up with as a starting point.
2) Alternatively, you can reference your toy’s size. It might be a good idea to call a large teddy bear a powerful name like Sargent or Queenie, whereas for a small teddy, Baby Bear or Buttercup might be more appropriate.
3) And what about personality? Ask your child if they think that the bear will be the happy-go-lucky type, or if he or she is more of a grumpy ted? Either way there are names out there to suit every type of bear, from the more serious Napoleon and Hilda to the joyful and cute Glitter and Coco!
4) Encourage your child to think about their favourite things to generate more ideas. Whether it be their favourite snack (Waffle, Cupcake and Smartie are just some names that come to mind), their favourite animal (think Piggie, Shark or Monkey as name ideas) or their favourite singers (who wouldn’t want to name their teddy bear after Harry Styles or Ariana Grande?), there are so many name ideas that your child is guaranteed to love almost as much as they love the real deal!
5) Get creative! You can throw all of the rules out of the window when picking teddy bear names, the choice is completely yours so get creative. Do you want the name to begin with Mr or Mrs? You could use a double barrel name that rhymes for extra amusement, or you could pick a name that uses alliteration so that it really rolls off the tongue. Whatever you decide, make sure it is a name that your child is able to easily pronounce (or come up with a simple nickname to use if it is a bit too complicated!).
6) Don’t be afraid to double up! Some kids just can’t get enough teddy bears, so they might be running out of name ideas for their latest furry friend. Why not take inspiration from some famous pairs and come up with not one, but two creative and clever names for bears? Think of classic pairings like Fred and Ginger or more modern duos such as Mario and Luigi. You could even take inspiration from your favourite food pairings, naming your bears Salt and Pepper or Cookies and Milk. The ideas are endless!
7) Still struggling to choose? Kids might be overwhelmed by the huge choice of names available to them so it can be useful to take a quiet moment to sit down with them and write a list of their favourite options. This way, you can read them out loud and see which one sounds best and, most importantly, which name suits your bear the best. If you really can’t decide, you can always pick a name from a hat full of your favourite ideas!
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.