Like therapy heals, words heal too.
“Thankfully, persistence is a great substitute for talent.”, said Steve Martin, an inspirational comic actor.
A good professional therapist is the only person who, by way of counseling, helps us clear the cobwebs of our minds and hearts to helps us see ourselves in a better light. Some happy quotes help find our true self too. You can also check [therapist quotes] or [Asking For Help quotes] to find strength during difficult times.
Quotes About Therapy
Not everyone believes in the process of counseling or how helpful it can be to tide us through difficult times. To all those people who are wary of therapy, therapists and counseling, inspirational quotes may help. Therapy is not just what you experience when you meet a certified therapist. It is ever present in our lives. Here are a few occupational therapy quotes you may find inspirational.
1. "In therapy, I see myself in the mirror differently."
- Ricky Williams
2. "There are a variety of techniques to help people change the kind of thinking that leads them to become depressed. These techniques are called cognitive behavioral therapy."
- Irving Kirsch
3. "Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present. There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man as he really is."
- William James
4. "Success as a therapist is not found in doing something for the client, but rather in being something for the client.’’
- Ili Rivera Walter
5."Smile, it's free therapy."
- Douglas Horton
6. "Everything can be taken from a man, but the last of the human freedoms: to choose one’s attitudes in any given set of circumstances.”
- Viktor Frankl
7. "If you get a diagnosis, get on a therapy, keep a good attitude and keep your sense of humour."
- Teri Garr
8. "The best therapy is actually the more aggressive kind when they break you open; they unleash you."
- Cara Delevingne
9. "Therapy is not to 'talk about' things, but to change the person's life, and to relieve suffering, such as depression, anxiety, or relationship problems."
- David D. Burns
10. "Mental health problems don’t define who you are. They are something you experience. You walk in the rain and you feel the rain, but, importantly, YOU ARE NOT THE RAIN.”
- Matt Haig
11. "If you are broken, you do not have to stay broken."
- Selena Gomez
12. "As a child, I was not allowed to express my feelings, so I had to go back through therapy and express the child's pain."
- John Bradshaw
13. "The ultimate goal of therapy... it's too hard a question. The words come to me like tranquility, like fulfillment, like realizing your potential."
- Irvin D. Yalom
Talking Therapy Quotes
Let’s talk! Talking releases your hidden emotions and feelings, letting the first level of de-stress start. For human beings, bottling up emotions is often bad for mental health, and causes physical stress and relationship issues too. Here are some therapy quotes to think about.
14. “The attempt to escape from pain, is what creates more pain.”
- Gabor Mate
15. “Some seek the comfort of their therapist's office, other head to the corner pub and dive into a pint, but I chose running as my therapy.”
- Dean Karnes, 'Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night'.
16. “Talking to somebody just helped me out a lot. As a man, you get a lot of slack for it…I don’t really subscribe to that. Everyone needs to unpack and talk,”
- Michael B. Jordan
17. "The first principle of cognitive therapy is that all your moods are created by your 'cognitions,' or thoughts. A cognition refers to the way you look at things - your perceptions, mental attitudes, and beliefs. It includes the way you interpret things - what you say about something or someone to yourself."
- David D. Burns
18. “Therapy helped me realize that maybe it’s okay for me to communicate my feelings.”
- Kerry Washington told to Essence Magazine
19. “You look at me and cry; everything hurts. I hold you and whisper: but everything can heal.”
- Rupia Kaur
20. “Life doesn’t make any sense without interdependence. We need each other, and the sooner we learn that, the better for us all.”
- Erik Erikson
Music Therapy Quotes
We don’t just listen to music; we often feel it. The vibrations created by each musical instrument when played has a lasting effect on us. A music therapy session may include listening to a certain piece of music or experience certain meditative musical instruments being played on your specific body parts. Music therapy could be as simple as playing your favorite music and you dancing to it. White noise has for years been used for counseling to treat anxiety. Look at these quotes on music therapy to understand.
21. “Almost all children respond to music. Music is an open-sesame, and if you can use it carefully and appropriately, you can reach into that child’s potential for development.”
- Dr. Clive Robbins
22. “Music has healing power. It has the ability to take people out of themselves for a few hours.”
- Elton John
23. “Music should be an essential part of every analysis.”
- Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung (1875-1961)
24. “Music is the language of the spirit. It opens the secret of life bringing peace, abolishing strife.”
- Kahlil Gibran
25. “Music can change the world because it can change people.”
26. "Music therapy helps speech, but also motor skills, memory and balance. Also emotionally uplifting."
- Dr. Sanjay Gupta
27. "Music therapy, to me, is music performance without the ego. It’s not about entertainment as much as its about empathizing. If you can use music to slip past the pain and gather insight into the workings of someone else’s mind, you can begin to fix a problem. "
- Jodi Picoult
28. "I would teach children music, physics and philosophy; but most importantly music, for the patterns in music and all the arts are the keys to learning."
29. "I used music as therapy and embraced being a cry baby."
- Melanie Martinez
Art Therapy Quotes
Art therapy is one the most effective therapies for children and people who find difficulty in expressing themselves. Watching a piece of art like a painting or sculpture could also invoke latent emotions in humans. Look at these quotes by some of the greatest artists to inspire you.
30. "Artists need some kind of stimulating experience a lot of times, which crystallizes when you sing about it or paint it or sculpt it. You literally mold the experience the way you want. It's therapy."
- Erykah Badu
31. “Variety of form and brilliancy of color in the object presented to patients are an actual means of recovery.”
- Florence Nightingale
32. “Art is a wound turned into light.”
- Georges Braque
33. "Creativity healed me. I don’t know that I could think of any word that I get more inspired by than the word healing."
34. "The portal of healing and creativity always takes us into the realm of the spirit."
- Angeles Arrien
35. "Cooking and baking is both physical and mental therapy."
- Mary Berry
36. "In 'Art as Therapy', we argue that art is a tool that can variously help to inspire, console, redeem, guide, comfort, expand and reawaken us."
- Alain de Botton
37. “I create beautiful art, so I can look back on the life my body fell short of in such a way that it brings me peace.”
- Nikki Rowe
38. "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up."
- Pablo Picasso
Inspirational Therapy Quotes
Meeting your school college teacher after years or mentor could work as a therapy session too. When we write about our experiences it helps us to see how far we come, which inspires us to do better. Here are few inspirational quotes to help you in the healing process and let in the positive energy.
39. "We may define therapy as a search for value."
- Abraham Maslow
40. "Life doesn’t make any sense without interdependence. We need each other, and the sooner we learn that, the better for us all."
- Erik Erikson
41. "The shoe that fits one person pinches another; there is no one recipe for living that suits all cases."
- Carl Jung
42. “Life has many ways of testing a person’s will, either by having nothing happen at all or by having everything happen all at once.”
- Paulo Coelho
43. “Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I’m not going to make it, but you laugh inside - remembering all the times you’ve felt that way.”
- Charles Bukowski
44. “The best way to find out whether you’re on the right path? Stop looking at the path.”
- Marcus Buckingham
45. “We are what we are because we have been what we have been, and what is needed for solving the problems of human life and motives is not moral estimates but more knowledge.”
- Sigmund Freud
46. “I don’t want to live in the kind of world where we don’t look out for each other. Not just the people that are close to us, but anybody who needs a helping hand. I can’t change the way anybody else thinks, or what they choose to do, but I can do my bit.”
- Charles de Lint
47. "You have to lift a person up before you can really put them in their place.”
- Criss Jami, Killosophy
48. "Through therapy and a lot of thinking and writing my memoirs, I've been able to use my life as a lesson."
- Jane Fonda
Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
These days a lot of us are on auto-pilot mode. We are not only losing touch with reality; we are losing touch with ourselves too. Look at these inspirational quotes to understand why is it important to let yourself be happy.
49. "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
50. “When you just sit in silence the wind blows through you, the sun shines in you, and you realize you are not your body; you are everything.”
- Anita Krizzan
51. “The truth is that most of us are secretly very hard on ourselves, but self-judgement distracts us and keeps present-moment awareness at bay, taking us out of the now.”
- Brandon Bays
52. “In today’s rush, we all think too much, seek too much, want too much, and forget about the joy of just being.”
- Eckhart Tolle
53. "Mindfulness is a way of befriending ourselves and our experience."
- Jon Kabat-Zinn
54. "To think in terms of either pessimism or optimism oversimplifies the truth. The problem is to see reality as it is."
- Thích Nhất Hạnh
55. “Becoming is better than being.”
- Carol S. Dweck
56. "In therapy, I have learned the importance of keeping spiritual life and professional life balanced. I need to regain my balance."
- Tiger Woods
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for inspirational therapy quotes, then why not take a look at [Helping Hands quotes], or [You Got This quotes].
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.