Rightfully said by Socrates, only philosophy junkies would understand the value of a topic enough discussed and answers fully provided. Philosophy is considered the way of life, full of wonder and wisdom and a one-way path to gaining never- ending knowledge.
Thomas Aquinas was an Italian Dominican Friar, philosopher and Catholic priest and one of the towering figures of theology so much so that he's called Doctor Angelicus and the Doctor Communis by the Roman Catholic Church. Within a span of 20 years, he wrote over forty books, including his masterpiece 'The Summa Theologica', where he says that perfect happiness is not possible on earth, but an imperfect happiness is. Aquinas also sees reason and faith as two ways of knowing. "Reason" covers what we can know by experience and logic alone. "Faith" covers what we can know by God's special revelation to us. You may also want to read [worship quotes] and [Saint Patrick Quotes] after this.
St. Thomas Aquinas Quotes
Saint Thomas Aquinas, the Dominican Friar, Doctor of the church, Doctor Angelicus, and Catholic priest introduced Catholic men to the concept of natural being.
1. “To pretend angels do not exist because they are invisible is to believe we never sleep because we don't see ourselves sleeping.”
2. “It is requisite for the relaxation of the mind that we make use, from time to time, of playful deeds and jokes.”
3. “Fear is such a powerful emotion for humans that when we allow it to take us over, it drives compassion right out of our hearts.”
4. “Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine.”
5. “Better to illuminate than merely to shine to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.”
6. “Not everything that is more difficult is more meritorious.”
7. “We are worth only as good as our joys.”
8. “Everything that man wants or desires, it is necessary either for its ultimate end”
9. “The truth is the agreement between intelligence and things.”
10. “The passions are in themselves neither good nor bad.”
Quotes By Thomas Aquinas On God
Perfection of human lies in the man's nature. When your belief in God and his mysterious motives start staggering, these quotes by 'the doctor of the church' will help in reminding you the right path.
11. “We can open our hearts to God, but only with Divine help.”
12. “Nothing created has ever been able to fill the heart of man. God alone can fill it infinitely.”
13. “To be united to God in unity of person was not fitting to human flesh, according to its natural endowments, since it was above his dignity; nevertheless, it was fitting that God, by reason of his infinite goodness, should unite it to himself for salvation.”
14. “The knowledge of God is the cause of things. For the knowledge of God is to all creatures what the knowledge of the artificer is to things made by his art.”
15. “How can we live in harmony? First, we need to know we are all madly in love with the same God.”
16. “Clearly the person who accepts the Church as an infallible guide will believe whatever the Church teaches.”
17. “God should not be called an individual substance since the principle of individuation is matter.”
18. “Because we cannot know what God is, but only what He is not, we cannot consider how He is but only how He is not.”
19. “Reason in man is rather like God in the world.”
20. “It must be said that charity can, in no way, exist along with mortal sins.”
21. “The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”
22. “To convert somebody, go and take them by the hand and guide them.”
23. “If, then, you are looking for the way by which you should go, take Christ, because he Himself is the way.”
24. “The knowledge of God is the cause of all things.”
25. “Human salvation demands the divine disclosure of truths surpassing reason.”
26. “That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell.”
27. “All that is true, by whomsoever it has been said has its origin in the Spirit.”
28. “A man does not always choose what his guardian angel intends.”
29. “Whatever is received is received according to the nature of the recipient.”
30. “The knowledge of God is to all creatures what the knowledge of the artificer is to things made by his art.”
Quotes By Saint Thomas Aquinas About Philosophy
The world is a maze of a million different puzzles and the necessary answers to some of these can be found the quotes written down below.
31. “Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder”.
32. “Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.”
33. “Good can exist without evil, whereas evil cannot exist without good.”
34. “Happiness is secured through virtue; it is a good attained by man's own will.”
35. “If the highest aim of a captain were to preserve his ship, he would keep it in port forever.”
36. “The Study of philosophy is not that we may know what men have thought, but what the truth of things is.”
37. “Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder.”
38. “We can't have full knowledge all at once. We must start by believing; then afterwards we may be led on to master the evidence for ourselves.”
39. “Man has free choice, or otherwise counsels, exhortations, commands, prohibitions, rewards and punishments would be in vain.”
40. “Our manner of knowing is so weak that no philosopher could perfectly investigate the nature of even one little fly.”
Thomas Aquinas Quotes About Love
The world would be a hole of cruelty if it wasn't for the existence of love, and its many various superpowers.
41. “Love takes up where knowledge leaves off.”
42. “For loving draws us more to things than knowing does, since good is found by going to the thing, whereas the true is found when the thing comes to us.”
43. “Love is a binding force, by which another is joined to me and cherished by myself.”
44. “Love must precede hatred, and nothing is hated save through being contrary to a suitable thing which is loved. And hence it is that every hatred is caused by love.”
45. “The things that we love tell us what we are.”
46. “We must love them both, those whose opinions we share and those whose opinions we reject, for both have laboured in the search for truth, and both have helped us in finding it.”
47. “To love is to will the good of the other.”
48. “There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship.”
49. “Love works in a circle, for the beloved moves the lover by stamping a likeness, and the lover then goes out to hold the beloved in reality. Who first was the beginning now becomes the end of motion.”
50. “No man truly has joy unless he lives in love.”
Thomas Aquinas Quotes About Self
Self introspection is the rightful medium to growth and maturity but the many messages can be tricky to understand. Check out these St. Thomas quotes to help you look inward.
51. “We can't have full knowledge all at once. We must start by believing; then afterwards we may be led on to master the evidence for ourselves.”
52. “Man should not consider his material possession his own, but as common to all, so as to share them without hesitation when others are in need.”
53. “Well-ordered self-love is right and natural.”
54. “Three things are necessary for the salvation of man: to know what he ought to believe; to know what he ought to desire, and to know what he ought to do”.
55. “All the efforts of the human mind cannot exhaust the essence of a single fly.”
56. “The highest manifestation of life consists in this: that a being governs its own actions. A thing which is always subject to the direction of another is somewhat of a dead thing.”
57. “Man cannot live without joy; therefore when he is deprived of true spiritual joys it is necessary that he become addicted to carnal pleasures.”
58. “A man has free choice to the extent that he is rational.”
59. “Wonder is the desire for knowledge.”
60. “Temperance is simply a disposition of the mind which binds the passion.”
Thomas Aquinas Quotes About Politics
A world without politics would be a world without a system. It's absolutely imperative to make sound decisions and come to agreements. Look at these St. Thomas quotes on politics to understand better.
61. “Law is nothing other than a certain ordinance of reason for the common good, promulgated by the person who has the care of the community.”
62. “If forgers and malefactors are put to death by the secular power, there is much more reason for excommunicating and even putting to death one convicted of heresy.”
63. “Every judgment of conscience, be it right or wrong, be it about things evil in themselves or morally indifferent, is obligatory, in such wise that he who acts against his conscience always sins.”
64. “Justice is a certain rectitude of mind whereby a man does what he ought to do in the circumstances confronting him.”
65. “How is it they live in such harmony the billions of stars – when most men can barely go a minute without declaring war in their minds about someone they know.”
66. “The principal act of courage is to endure and withstand dangers doggedly rather than to attack them.”
67. “In order for a war to be just, three things are necessary. First, the authority of the sovereign. Secondly, a just cause. Thirdly, a rightful intention.”
68. “Peace is the work of justice indirectly, in so far as justice removes the obstacles to peace; but it is the work of charity (love) directly, since charity, according to its very notion, causes peace.”
69. “Because of the diverse conditions of humans, it happens that some acts are virtuous to some people, as appropriate and suitable to them, while the same acts are immoral for others, as inappropriate to them.”
70. “Mercy without justice is the mother of dissolution; justice without mercy is cruelty."
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for Thomas Aquinas quotes then why not take a look at [Tim Keller quotes], or [St. Ignatius quotes].
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.