'The Little Prince' is one of the best-selling novellas by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry that was originally entitled 'Le Petit Prince'.
'The Little Prince' was initially written and published in French in 1943 and later translated into various languages. The plot revolves around a young prince who has the ability to visit space and different planets in it and, in a way, universally portrays feelings of loneliness, love, loss, and friendship.
Having been translated into more than 300 languages, the fame that it has garnered is unparalleled when it comes to children's literature. There are also various symbols in the book, as for instance, the rose, which symbolizes the beloved. The book in the end teaches us that love is the most important moral of all and should be cherished and nurtured in order to see the beauty and heart in life.
If you are looking for some quotes and quotable passages from the book, here is a list you can refer to. If you like our content, you can check out other articles like [Antoine De Saint-Exupéry quotes] and 'The Alchemist' quotes.
Quotes From 'The Little Prince'
Here is a list of some of the best quotes from 'The Little Prince' including 'The Little Prince' fox quotes, including some quotable passages.
1. "Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them."
2. "It is such a secret place, the land of tears."
3. "And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
4. "But if you come at just any time, I shall never know at what hour my heart is to be ready to greet you."
5. "Only the children know what they are looking for."
6. "But the eyes are blind. One must look with the heart..."
7. "It is just as it is with the flower. If you love a flower that lives on a star, it is sweet to look at the sky at night. All the stars are a-bloom with flowers..."
8. "Then you shall judge yourself," the king answered. "that is the most difficult thing of all. It is much more difficult to judge oneself than to judge others. If you succeed in judging yourself rightly, then you are indeed a man of true wisdom."
9. "'One only understands the things that one tames,' said the fox. 'Men have no more time to understand anything...they buy things all ready made at the shops. But there is no shop anywhere where one can buy friendship, and so men have no friends any more. If you want a friend, tame me...'"
10. "'Geographies,' said the geographer, 'are the books which, of all books, are most concerned with matters of consequence. They never become old-fashioned...it is very rarely that a mountain changes its position. It is very rarely that an ocean empties itself of its waters...we write of eternal things.'"
11. "But all these stars are silent. You– you alone– will have the stars as no one else has them."
12. "This is, to me, the loveliest and saddest landscape in the world. It is the same as that on the preceding page, but I have drawn it again to impress it on your memory. It is here that the little Prince appeared on Earth, and disappeared."
13. "When you find a diamond that belongs to nobody, it is yours...when you discover an island that belongs to nobody, it is yours. When you get an idea before any one else, you take out a patent on it: it is yours. So with me: I own the stars, because nobody else before me ever thought of owning them."
14. "Wait for a time, exactly under the star. Then, if a little man appears who laughs, who has golden hair and who refuses to answer questions, you will know who he is. If this should happen, please comfort me...send me word that he has come back."
15. "Raise five thousand roses in one garden– and they do not find in it what they are looking for."
16. "I have so much to do! I am concerned with matters of consequence. I don't amuse myself with balderdash."
17. "I saw the sun setting forty-four times!"
18. "Little golden objects that set lazy men to idle dreaming."
19. "To forget a friend is sad. Not every one has had a friend."
20. "'All men have the stars,' he answered, 'but they are not the same things for different people. For some, who are travelers, the stars are guides. For others, they are no more than little lights in the sky."
21. "To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me."
22. "'You are not at all like my rose,' he said. 'As yet you are nothing.'"
23. "You know...one loves the sunset, when one is so sad..."
24. "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. You are responsible for your rose..."
25. "You're lovely, but you're empty."
26. "Not every one has had a friend. And if I forget him, I may become like the grown-ups who are no longer interested in anything but figures..."
27. "No one has tamed you, and you haven't tamed anyone. You're the way my fox was."
28. "I ought to have judged by deeds and not by words."
29. "But certainly, for us who understand life, figures are a matter of indifference."
30. "Nothing in the universe can be the same if somewhere, we do not know where, a sheep that we never saw has– yes or no?– eaten a rose..."
31. "No one is ever satisfied where he is."
32. "Well, I must endure the presence of two or three caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies."
33. Conceited people never hear anything but praise.
'The Little Prince' Movie Quotes
If you are looking for a list of quotes from the movie adaptation of 'The Little Prince,' here is a wholesome list.
34. "Once upon a time there was little prince who lived on a planet that was scarcely bigger than himself."
-The Little Girl.
35. "Hey, come and play with me."
36. "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
37. "What they are looking for could find in a single Rose. Or a little water."
38. "I cannot play with you. I'm not tamed."
39. "What is essential is invisible to the eye."
40. "The men where you live grow thousands of Roses. And, they do not find what they are looking for."
41. "You're going to make a wonderful adult."
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for the little prince quotes then why not take a look at 'The Last Unicorn' quotes, or ['Little Red Riding Hood' quotes].
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.