Born in 63 BC, Augustus Caesar is known for his commencement of an astonishing two centuries of peace within the Roman empire under his rule.
Born Gaius Octavius, Augustus was from a wealthy family with close political ties, as his father was a Senator and his mother Atia was the dictator, Julius Caesar's niece. Owing to this, he was mostly taken care of by Julius Caesar and his sister Julia Caesaris.
Augustus would always jump at the opportunity to fight alongside Julius. He took part in Africa's battles in which they emerged victoriously, and right after, the following year, he sailed to Spain to aid his uncle Julius, but unfortunately, his ship was wrecked. This forced him to traverse through enemy lines to reach Julius. Impressed by Augustus' imperishable determination, Julius, before his death, adopted him as his son and named him heir to the throne in his will.
Julius was assassinated in 44 BC when Augustus was far away studying military tactics. After his return, he was informed of his heritage, which he then took responsibility for, even after facing political oppositions. Augustus was a natural when it came to being a ruler. He was a genius tactician and a commendable military strategist. He knew a way of dealing with people. He would reassure them by letting them know that his motive was peace even when he was faced with civil disturbances among his provinces, which resulted in a happy empire that followed their emperor.
His idea was to not resort to violence. Instead, let the people and land he conquers flourish while they are being taxed, and in return, he would provide them with protection using his powerful army. As his empire expanded, people were content, trade expanded, new and healthy businesses began to rise all over his provinces. And thus, he started an era that avoided conflict and one that concentrated on prosperity in life.
Augustus Caesar, the first Roman Emperor, passed away in the year 14 AD and his famous last words to the people of his empire were "I found Rome of clay; I leave it to you of marble." But, to his more personal associates, he said: "Have I played the part well? Then applaud me as I exit." You'll find more amazing Augustus Caesar leadership quotes, as he was a great Roman Emperor.
Let's take a look at the great legacy of this first Roman Emperor through these thoughtful Augustus quotes and if you ever need more quotes, just head over to our [Horace quotes] and 'Spartacus' quotes.
Emperor Augustus Caesar Quotes
Here are some inspiring Augustus quotes which will show you a glimpse into his mind even to his last days.
1. "Practice, the master of all things."
2. "I came to see a king, not a row of corpses."
3. "If you want rainbow, you have to deal with the rain."
4. "I'd always thought the world was a wish-granting factory."
5. "Better a cautious commander, and not a rash one."
6. "Whatever is done well enough is done quickly enough."
7. "I have never been over concerned or obsessed with opinion polls or popularity polls. I think a leader who is, is a weak leader."
8. "To seek to keep the established constitution unchanged argues a good citizen and a good man."
9. "May it be my privilege to have the happiness of establishing the commonwealth on a firm and secure basis and thus enjoy the reward which I desire, but only if I may be called the author of the best possible government."
10. "Young men, listen to an old man to whom old men listened when he was young."
Augustus Caesar Quotes About Power
Popular quotes from Augustus Caesar during his life as the best Roman Emperor.
11. "Bear with me the hope when I die that the foundations which I have laid for its future government, will stand firm and stable."
12. "Wars, both civil and foreign, I undertook throughout the world, on sea and land, and when victorious I spared all citizens who sued for pardon."
13. "Behold them, conquerors of the world, the toga-clad race of Romans!"
14. "Let us be satisfied if we can make people stop short at unkind words."
15. "Present a petition with as much hesitation as he would a penny to an elephant."
16. "I had a good mind to discontinue permanently the supply of grain to the city, reliance on which had discouraged Italian agriculture, but refrained because some politician would be bound one day to revive the dole as a means of ingratiating himself with the people."
17. "At the age of nineteen, on my own initiative and at my own expense, I raised an army by means of which I restored liberty to the republic, which had been oppressed by the tyranny of a faction."
18. "To seek to keep the established constitution unchanged argues a good citizen and a good man."
19. "After this time I surpassed all others in authority, but I had no more power than the others who were also my colleagues in office."
20. "Those who slew my father I drove into exile, punishing their deed by due process of law, and afterwards when they waged war upon the republic I twice defeated them in battle."
Octavian Augustus Caesar Quotes By Others
Gaius Octavius Augustus Caesar quotes written about by some popular personalities, old, new and timeless.
21. "Unless Caesar Augustus is unwittingly complying with the will of God if it is true that in His divine wisdom he has ordained that Joseph and Mary should go to Bethlehem at this time."
22. "In spite of their past accomplishments, Augustus despised the Greeks and extended his favor to the strongest of his day."
23. "There was a young man in Rome that was very like Augustus Caesar; Augustus took knowledge of it and sent for the man, and asked him 'Was your mother never at Rome?' He answered 'No Sir; but my father was.'"
24. "His contemporaries spoke of him as the 'teenage executioner.'"
25. "'In his days shall the righteous flourish; and abundance of peace so long as the moon endureth,' must not be explained as signifying such earthly peace as the world enjoyed under Caesar Augustus, as many believe, but 'peace with God,' or spiritual peace."
-Martin Luther King.
26. "Cicero distrusted Augustus, but respected his determination... and talent for organization."
Famous Augustus Caesar Quotes
Octavian Augustus Caesar quotes that every history enthusiast should know.
27. "Hasten slowly."
28. "Having attained my highest hopes, Fathers of the Senate, what more have I to ask of the immortal gods than that I may retain this same unanimous approval of yours to the very end of my life."
29. "If I have played my part well, clap your hands, and dismiss me with applause from the stage."
30. "I rebuilt the Capitol and the theater of Pompey, each work at enormous cost, without any inscription of my name."
31. "If we could survive without a wife, citizens of Rome, all of us would do without that nuisance; but nature has so decreed that we cannot manage comfortably with them, nor live in any way without them, we must plan for our lasting preservation rather than for our temporary pleasure."
32. "The tales of our exploits will survive as long as the human voice itself."
33. "When the dictatorship was offered to me, both in my presence and my absence, by the people and senate, when Marcus Marcellus and Lucius Arruntius were consuls, I did not accept it."
34. "We write our names in the sand: and then the waves roll in and wash them away."
35. "I rebuilt aqueducts in many places that had decayed with age, and I doubled the capacity of the Marcian aqueduct by sending a new spring into its channel."
36. "Have I played the part well? Then applaud as I exit."
37. "I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble."
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for top 37 Augustus Caesar quotes from the first Emperor of Rome, then why not take a look at [cross link 1], or [cross link 2]?
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.