Game of Thrones is a hugely popular fantasy series with loads of interesting characters.
With an extensive list of strong and unique characters and names, choosing one can get a little difficult. Which name would be inspirational enough or would the back story of the name and character bring that oomph factor you are looking for?
'A Song of Ice and Fire', the first book of the series, became famous among people after the series came out on HBO as the 'Game of Thrones' series. There are many known and unknown names with different origins and histories of family, house, kingdoms, thrones name, dragons, and more. The masses loved a few characters namely; Arya Stark, Daenerys Targaryen, Jon Snow, Tyrion Lannister, Sansa Stark, and more, who changed the course of the story and made the title of the show a massive hit. Here's a list of a few cool and unique baby names for girls and boys based on the favorite characters.
Cool Girls Names Inspired By Game Of Thrones
Daenerys Targaryen, Arya, and Sansa Stark, Cersei are a few spot-on names for girls. Here's a list of all the cool girl names from the seven kingdoms.
1. Arianne (Latin origin) is a name made famous by Arianne Martell, the daughter of Prince Doran of Dorne.
2. Brienne (English origin) is the name of Brienne of Tarth who is one of the prime characters who helped the Starks beyond her life for Catelyn's kindness.
3. Catelyn (Irish origin) the wife of Eddard Stark. Catelyn Stark is the Lady of Stark house.
4. Cersei (Greek origin) is the name taken by the clever Cersei Lannister, who was the queen with a few rights reserved to herself married to Robert Baratheon.
5. Daenerys (Hebrew, Greek origin) is a two-element name based on 'daen' and 'erys'. Daenerys Targaryen is the name of the Mother of dragons who had set to take on the iron throne and fight against Cersei.
6. Ellaria (Arabic origin) is quite a strong female character. Ellaria Martell is Oberyn Martell's lover and the mother of 8 sand snakes.
7. Elia (Hebrew origin) means "an answer from God". Elia Sand is the daughter of Prince Oberyn Martell and one of the Sand Snakes and belongs to the Dornishmen culture.
8. Gilly (Hebrew origin) was the name Gilly Craster, taken by the willing and was married to Samwell Tarly, the friend of Jon Snow.
9. Khaleesi (American origin) is not one of the official baby names but the world has taken onto it as a first name which is a mere title for the Queen.
10. Lysa (American origin) was the daughter of Hoster Tully. Lysa Arryn became the Lady Regent of the Vale after her husband's death.
11. Margaery/Marjorie (Scottish origin) meaning "pearl" is the name of Margaery Tyrell, a strong woman who was the only daughter of Lord Mace Tyrell and Lady Alerie.
12. Meera (Sanskrit origin) is the name taken by Meera Reed, the one who looks after Bran Stark.
13. Melisandre (American origin) is the name taken by the Red Woman who was the symbol of determination and strength and was the worshipper of the God of Light.
14. Missandei (American origin) was the trusted handmaiden of Daenerys.
15. Myrcella (American, Spanish origin) is known as the daughter of Cersei Lannister.
16. Nymeria (American origin) is one of the dire wolves owned by Arya Stark.
17. Olenna, the Ukrainian version of the name Helena. The character of Olenna Tyrell is a strong woman, also known as the elderly matriarch of House Tyrell.
18. Roslin (French origin) was the daughter of Lord Walder Frey, she played a small but pretty character who played a role during the red wedding episode.
19. Sansa (Sanskrit origin). Sansa Stark is the elder daughter amongst Stark girls, married to Joffrey, flees with help of Tyrion Lannister and Petyr Baelish; she leads alongside Jon snow by the end of the series.
20. Shireen (Persian origin) named Shireen Baratheon was the young princess with greyscale and daughter of Stannis Baratheon.
21. Talisa (American origin) is a mix of Talia and Lisa. Talisa Stark was taken as the wife by Robb Stark and killed during the red wedding.
22. Yara (Brazilian origin) meaning "water lady" was the perfect name for the iron born Queen Yara Greyjoy.
23. Ygritte (American origin) is one of the wildlings and was turned into a white walker after her death.
Unique Boys' Names From Game Of Thrones
Time and again, the men in 'Game of Thrones' made every reader turn their heads around. Here's a list of the inspiring characters for parents to think about for the babies.
24. Balon (American origin) is associated with Balon Greyjoy, the ancient lord of the Iron Islands.
25. Benjen (Hebrew origin) was the First Ranger of the Night's Watch. Benjen Stark rescues Bran Stark and Meera Reed from the cave of the Three-Eyed Raven.
26. Bronn (English origin) was a skilled sellsword and won the championship for Tyrion Lannister.
27. Daario (Italian, Persian origin) is a quite a trending identifier and so known by Daario Naharis, the advisor and enforcer for Daenerys.
28. Davos (Hebrew origin) was in service of Stannis Baratheon. Ser Davos Seaworth later switched his acquaintance with the Stark house and Jon Snow.
29. Doran (Irish origin) was the head of House Martell. Prince Doran Martell was murdered by Ellaria Sand and the Sand Snakes.
30. Eddard (American origin) was the leader of Winterfell. Eddard Stark or Ned Stark was a close acquaintance of King Robert Baratheon and was killed by King Joffrey Baratheon.
31. Finn (Irish origin) was a call taken by the ranger of the Night's watch at Castle Black.
32. Gendry (Old French origin) is a skilled blacksmith and a son of Robert Baratheon.
33. Joffrey (English origin) though this is quite a controversial character Joffrey Baratheon was the reason behind the deaths of Eddard Stark,
34. Jojen (Anglo-Saxon origin) is the brother of Meera Reed. Jojen Reed is the person who takes part in rescuing Bran along with his sister.
35. Khal (American origin) is known as a leader. Khal Drogo is the husband of Daenerys and leader of the Dothraki tribe before his death,
36. Loras (Latin origin) was one of the finest knights of Westeros. Loras Tyrell later is known as the brother Loras.
37. Mace (English origin) is the name of the Lord Mace Tyrell who was the head of House Tyrell and Lord of Highgarden.
38. Martin (Roman origin) is the name of the author of the 'Game of Thrones' series of books, R. R. Martin.
39. Oberyn (American origin) was known as Prince Oberyn Martell, the younger brother of Doran.
40. Petyr/ Peter (Greek origin) is known by the character Petyr Baelish who was quite a smart one from the lot.
41. Quentyn (Latin origin) is quite a unique name taken by Quentyn Martell.
42. Renly (American origin) was the youngest of the Baratheon clan. Renly Baratheon fourth one in line to inherit the throne.
43. Robb (Latin origin) was the eldest son and the name of the Stark family of Winterfell after the death of his father Ned Stark.
44. Robert (German origin) is associated with Robert Baratheon who sat on the iron throne at the beginning of the series.
45. Roose (German origin) is a unique moniker for a baby boy. Roose Bolton, head of House Bolton and Lord of the Dreadfort.
46. Samwell (Hebrew origin) is a variation of Samuel. Samwell Tarly is a friend and loyal to Jon Snow.
47. Sandor (Hungarian origin) travels with Arya and the Brotherhood without a banner. Sandor Clegane, younger brother of Ser Gregor Clegane.
48. Snow (English origin) became quite famous as he was Aegon Targaryen, alias Jon Snow turned out to be the true heir of the Targaryen clan and was romantically involved with Daenerys.
49. Stark (Scottish origin) is the strong boy name that follows the Stark of Winterfell.
50. Theon (Greek origin) is the younger brother of Yara Greyjoy. Theon Greyjoy is also the rightful heir of Balton Greyjoy and Iron Islands.
51. Tommen (Aramaic origin) was the brother of Joffrey. Tommen Baratheon was the second son of Cersei and is a trendy moniker for a 21st-century baby.
52. Tormund (Norwegian origin) is the leader of the raider free folks. Tormund Giantsbane later fights alongside Jon Snow against the white walkers.
53. Tristan/ Trystane (Old French origin). The Character Trystane Martell was the oldest son of Prince Doran Martell and was in love with Myrcella. Trystane is getting quite a hype for its fresh sound.
54. Tyrion (Latin origin) is known by the man Tyrion Lannister who served as a hand for Daenerys Targaryen and killed his own father named Tywin Lannister.
55. Varys (Latin origin) means "bow-legged". Lord Varys was hence rightly called a spider and was the Master of Whisperers.
56. Walker (English origin) though is a name associated with the White Walkers, it is one of the catchy baby names.
Unique Non-Binary Names From Game of Thrones
Here are the top 5 unisex names that took the attention of viewers and readers.
57. Bran (Welsh origin) means "raven" and is the perfect name that follows Bran Stark, the youngest of the Stark family.
58. Jamie/Jaime (Scottish origin) is taken by the male character named Jaime Lannister, the brother of Cersei and commander of the Lannister armies.
59. Jorah (Hebrew origin) is the character who's set out of Westeros. Jorah Mormont joins as a follower of Daenerys.
60. Robin (English origin) is a nickname for Robert Baratheon.
61. Tarley (American, Fictional origin) though a word taken to make the last name of Samwell, this moniker is often taken as one for a child in recent times for its use is kind of fun-sounding.
Kidadl has lots of great names articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for Game of Thrones Names then why not take a look at Fantasy Girls Names, or for something different take a look at Double Barrel Names.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.