Ever heard of girl names like Awinita, Kamama, Noya or Salalai?
These names have a unique touch to them. Well, these are a few Cherokee Indian names that are popular amongst the native American girl names.
Apart from these, names like Dakota, Abey, Nayeli, Navajo, are another set of good native American girl names that grab the attention of listeners quite easily. A few common baby girl names like Aquene, Kaniya, Koko hold a high popularity mark in the baby name search list and are often a first choice for expecting parents. A few girl names of native Americans like Aiyana, Nina, Enola are also quite popular in Indian female names list. As these examples already give a hint of how interesting and cute native names for a baby girl are, here's a list of carefully selected top 50+ Native American girl names, thematically arranged to make the search easier with the help of their different meanings.
Good Native American Girl Names
Girl baby names with native American origin usually come under the search for contemporary or traditional names. Some name meanings come from the various different native American tribes and they all make good native American baby names. So here's a list of these unique native American names for girls that will be perfect for your little one.
1. Abey - Name meaning "leaf".
2. Adsila - Meaning "blossom"; popular with the Cherokee names and tribe.
3. Aiyana - Meaning "blossoming, eternal flower"; it is also known as a Native American tribe closely related to Indian roots. A name taken by Aiyana-Lee Anderson, a British pop singer.
4. Aylen - Meaning "happiness"; will make a choice for a baby that brings joy and means happiness in the parents' lives.
5. Bena - Meaning "pheasant".
6. Catori - Meaning "spirit"; makes for a cute girl name with a strong name meaning.
7. Chapa - Meaning "beaver"; associated with the Sioux tribe.
8. Chiana - Meaning "unintelligible speakers"; is a native American girl name with its root native American Indian roots.
9. Etenia - Meaning "wealthy"; is a rare name with Native American roots and glorifying meaning for a baby name.
10. Fala - Meaning "a crow"; a name taken by native American and Chinese actress named Fala Chen.
11. Kaliska - Meaning "coyote chasing a deer"; is also a place name in Poland.
12. Kasa - Meaning "dressed in fur".
13. Kimama - Meaning "butterfly"; makes a pretty unique baby girl name with a simple and beautiful meaning.
14. Kiona - Meaning "brown hills"; can make a good name for a dusky shade native American girl.
15. Koko - Meaning "night"; is a native American name also with roots in Japanese resembling stork.
16. Luyu - Meaning "wild dove"; is a name also known after Lu Yu a Chinese writer from around 800 AD. This American tag is also associated with Chen Luyu, a Chinese journalist.
17. Meilani - Meaning "heavenly flower"; is an American girl name as a combination of words May and Leilani. This is a name taken by Roger Mathew's daughter.
18. Nayeli - Meaning "I love you" in Native American Zapotec language. A name associated with Nayeli Chavez, a journalist from New York.
19. Nina - Meaning "strong"; is a name meaning different in different origins like; "God is gracious" in Greek, "nice" in Persian, "a friend" in Arabic and "beautiful" in Indian.
20. Rozene - Meaning "rose"; is a unique and popular flower name, a perfect choice for your little princess.
21. Sahalie - Meaning "heaven, sky"; associated with the famous Sahalie and Koosah falls in Oregon.
22. Sedna - Meaning "Goddess of the sea"; is a native American name with Inuit origin.
23. Shima - Meaning "mother"; associated with the Navajo tribe. This moniker is quite rare but holds a deeper meaning for a baby name.
24. Tayen - Meaning "new moon"; is a Japanese sounding native American name, quite a unique choice for a girl name.
25. Yareli - Meaning "water lady"; a name taken by a Mexican actress, writer, and director named, Yareli Arizmendi.
Popular Native American Girl Names
A Native American name that holds its popularity based on a few famous native American women will make the best name choice for your daughter.
26. Chenoa - Meaning "white dove"; is a celebrity name as per the American native names list.
27. Enola - Meaning "alone spelled backwards"; an American name that got popular after the new film based on Sherlock Holmes' sister named 'Enola Holmes'.
28. Matoaka - Meaning "secret, sacred valley"; associated with the famous Pocahontas Matoaka and her work of Virginia's colonial settlement.
29. Moema - Meaning "sweet"; is one of the American baby names associated with a saint.
30. Peta - Meaning "golden eagle; is also an acronym with rights reserved for the famous animal rights group named, 'People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals'.
31. Sacajawea - Meaning "the bird woman"; associated with the Lemhi Shoshone woman who chartered in discovering the Louisiana Territory.
32. Winona / Wynona - Meaning "first born"; associated with the native American environmentalist, Winona LaDuke.
Gender-Neutral Native American Names
Unisex names holding their roots in the Native American culture make for a good baby name. Here's a list of some unique and popular Native American baby names that can be used for boys as well as girls.
33. Behitha - Meaning "eagle child"; is a girl name with a strong meaning considered equally for boys.
34. Brocky - Meaning "tail feathers coming over the hill"; though it sounds more apt for a boy name, this is also used for a girl.
35. Byue - Meaning "small or slow stream".
36. Chardon - Meaning "sand bar"; is also one of the names for native Americans based on place names.
37. Chimalus - Meaning "blue bird".
38. Citana - Meaning "star in the sky"; can be a variation of Indian name Sitara.
39. Citlali - Meaning "star"; a name associated with the former Senator of the Mexican Republic named Citlali Hernandez.
40. Dakota - Meaning "friendly"; is also a native American word name taken by the American actresses Dakota Johnson and Fanning.
41. Esadowa - Meaning "heap wolves"; is a unique American baby girl name.
42. Helki - Meaning "to touch".
43. Jamaica - Meaning "the land of wood and water"; is an American name focused on a place name, a Caribbean island.
44. Kabecka - Meaning "twin"; a perfect name for one of the twin girls.
45. Kimeya - Meaning "singing throat".
46. Magaska - Meaning "white swan".
47. Pahana - Meaning "lost white brother".
48. Pillan - Meaning "God of stormy weather"; is a native American version of God's name.
49. Pizi - Meaning "bravery"; makes a cute name for a girl as well as a boy with a powerful meaning.
50. Saloso - Meaning "wild goose cry".
51. Tarlo - Meaning "bear cub"; makes a perfect name for a bear-like daughter or son.
Kidadl has lots of great baby names articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for Native American Girl Names then why not take a look at Choctaw Names, or for something different take a look at Names Meaning Blessed.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.