Conservatism can be defined as a political or social ideology which is followed by a lot of people all across the globe.
Broadly speaking in the political spectrum conservatism can be classified as right-winged politics. The social philosophy deals mainly in the uplifting of the cultural and upliftment of the social institutions.
A few famous conservative leaders involve the likes of President George W. Bush, President Donald Trump, Boris Johnson and others. The term 'conservatism' was first termed by François-René de Chateaubriand. So if you share similar thoughts and likes on this ideology then you are going to have a great time. These finest conservative quotes will surely enthrall you to study more about conservative politics and it's history.
If you find our content interesting then do check out [democracy quotes] and kid president quotes.
Best Conservative Quotes
Enlisted below are some of the finest conservative quotes from around the world. A lot of these quotes are based on ideas, our nation, society and the things that we believe today.
1. "A Conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned to walk forward."
- Franklin D. Roosevelt.
2. "The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is.”
- Ronald Reagan.
3. "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
- John Kenneth Galbraith.
4. "Conservatism discards Prescription, shrinks from Principle, disavows Progress; having rejected all respect for antiquity, it offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future.”
5. "Conservatives define themselves in terms of what they oppose."
- George Will.
6. "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."
- John Stuart Mill.
7. "Republicans approve of the American farmer, but they are willing to help him go broke. They stand four-square for the American home - but not for housing."
- Harry S. Truman.
8. "It is ironic that people of modest means sometimes become conservative out of a scarcity fear bred by the very capitalist system they support."
- Michael Parenti, 'Democracy For The Few'.
9. "There are few genuine conservatives within the U.S. political system... a welfare state for the rich dedicated to a lunatic form of Keynesian economic intervention that enhances state and private power while mortgaging the country's future.”
- Noam Chomsky, 'The Culture Of Terrorism'.
10. "Republicans are men of narrow vision, who are afraid of the future."
- Jimmy Carter.
11. "In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican."
- H. L. Mencken.
Famous Conservative Quotes
Here in this category you will find funny conservative quotes along with some great conservative quotes. You will also find quotes on radicals, on social rights and justice, quotes against liberals and the things that conservatives believe in. You will also find quotes for people who are too conservative.
12. “Have you ever wondered why Republicans are so interested in encouraging people to volunteer in their communities? It’s because volunteers work for no pay. Republicans have been trying to get people to work for no pay for a long time. ”
- George Carlin.
13. "I cannot help fearing that men may reach a point where they look on every new theory as a danger, every innovation as a toilsome trouble, every social advance as a first step toward revolution, and that they may absolutely refuse to move at all."
- Alexis de Tocqueville.
14. "The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution."
- Hannah Arendt.
15. "When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung."
- Henry Ward Beecher.
16. "They are the driven crowds that makes the army of the authoritarian overlord; they are the stuffing of conservatism ... mediocrity is their god. They fear the stranger, they fear the new idea; they are afraid to live, and scared to die."
- Donald Ewan Cameron.
17. "They think modern medical care and hospitals are fine - for people who can afford them. They consider electrical power a great blessing - but only when the private power companies get their rake-off."
- Harry S. Truman.
18. "A conservative is a man who just sits and thinks, mostly sits."
- Woodrow Wilson.
19. "The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it."
- P. J. O'Rourke.
20. "We had to fight the enemy without in the Falklands. We always have to be aware of the enemy within, which is much more difficult to fight and more dangerous to liberty."
- Margaret Thatcher.
21. "A Conservative is a fellow who is standing athwart history yelling 'Stop!'"
- William F. Buckley, Jr.
Conservative Quotes On Life
Here you will find some of the coolest conservative quotes on life and how the people of America deal with conservatism. A lot of these conservative quotes have been taken from excerpts of political leaders' speeches.
22. "A conservative is a man who will not look at the new moon out of respect for that 'ancient institution' the old one."
- Douglas William Jerrold.
23. "The values to which the conservative appeals are inevitably caricatured by the individuals designated to put them into practice."
- Harold Rosenberg.
24. "Change is not what we expect from religious people. They tend to love the past more than the present or the future."
- Richard Rohr, 'Falling Upward: A Spirituality For The Two Halves Of Life'.
25. "Somehow liberals have been unable to acquire from life what conservatives seem to be endowed with at birth: namely, a healthy skepticism of the powers of government agencies to do good."
- Daniel Patrick Moynihan.
26. "We conservatives bemoan the decline in values that has besieged our society. Why then should we not abhor the lack of morality involved in discharging untested chemicals into the air, ground, and water to alter and harm, to whatever degree, human life and wildlife? As a conservative, I do abhor it."
- Wendell Berry.
27. "The true conservative is the man who has a real concern for injustices and takes thought against the day of reckoning."
- Franklin D. Roosevelt.
28. "Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong."
- Calvin Coolidge.
Conservative Politics Quotes
In this category you will only exclusive conservative quotes on conservative politics as spoken by the eminent leaders of the world. Check out political conservative quotes below,
29. "Good Conservatives always pay their bills. And on time. Not like the Socialists who run up other people's bills."
- Margaret Thatcher.
30. "We will not adopt the fantastic hypocrisy of modern conservatism which preaches the values of families and communities, while conducting a direct assault on them through reduced wages and conditions and job security."
- Paul Keating.
31. "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
- Winston S. Churchill.
32. "In a democracy, the majority of the citizens is capable of exercising the most cruel oppressions upon the minority."
- Edmund Burke.
33. "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence."
- Ronald Reagan.
34. "I am favor of cutting taxes under any circumstances and for any excuse, for any reason, whenever it's possible."
- Milton Friedman.
35. "The country has become much more conservative, partly because it's been taken over by the religious right."
- Bill Maher.
36. "In republican governments, men are all equal; equal they are also in despotic governments: in the former, because they are everything; in the latter, because they are nothing."
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for conservative quotes then why not take a look at Barry Goldwater quotes, or [Harry Truman quotes].
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.