Image © Josh Wilink.
Geographical baby names are increasingly popular with parents, whether it's country names for boys or beautiful baby names inspired by mountains and lakes.
On this list, you'll find 100 of our favourite geographical baby names inspired by the world around us, from adventurous mountain names to island place names turned baby names. As so many geographical baby names can be gender neutral, we haven't separated them into boys and girls names, but if you're looking for baby names inspired by a city, like Brooklyn and York, we've got another blog just for them.
Geographical Baby Names That Are Countries
Get on the road to a perfect name for your traveller-to-be with these geography baby names inspired by countries.
1) America: As well as two continents, this name also belongs to actress America Ferrera.
2) Asia: This Greek and Arabic origin name means sunrise or lively. It's the name of actress Asia Argento.
3) Chad: An African country, it means great lake as well as being an English boys' name meaning defender.
4) China: This Sanskrit-origin name belongs to author China Mieville.
5) Cyprus: This island in the Mediterranean sounds like the boys' name Cyrus, and means cyprus tree.
6) Dominica: This Caribbean country is also a Spanish baby name meaning belongs to the Lord.
7) Erin: The Gaelic name for Ireland, meaning west.
8) France: This country name belongs to actress France Nuyen.
9) Georgia: A country in the Caucasus and a US state, this is also a popular girls' name meaning farmer.
10) India: This elegant name means people of the Indus River.
11) Ireland: A pretty, unisex name, famous for being the name of model Ireland Baldwin.
12) Israel: A baby name derived from the Hebrew meaning God contended, it's also the name of a Middle-Eastern country.
13) Italy; Italia: This Mediterranean country name is thought to come from the Latin for land of cattle.
14) Jordan: A Hebrew origin name meaning flow down, and a Middle-Eastern country.
15) Kenya: This East African country is also a Hebrew baby name meaning animal horn.
16) Leone: A variant of baby names Leon and Leonie, this name meaning lion belongs to the country of Sierra Leone.
17) Morocco: Boxer Mike Tyson chose this African name meaning west for his son.
18) Zion: The Promised Land, this makes a great Biblical place name.
State and Regional Geography Names
Get inspired with these names of states and regions, excellent baby names for a traveller in the making.
19) Alaska (USA): A chilly far-northern state, and a cool name.
20) Alberta (Canada): A form of Albert, meaning noble and bright, it's the name of a province.
21) Aragon (Spain): The homeland of Henry VIII's first wife also sounds like the name of the character Aragorn in Lord of the Rings.
22) Brittany (France): This northern region is a popular girls' name of Latin origin, meaning land of the Bretons.
23) Carolina (USA): Meaning song of happiness in French, it's the name of two states.
24)Clare (Ireland): A green and pleasant county that doubles up as a variant of the French Claire, meaning light.
25) Dakota (USA): This state name means friend in the local Sioux language, and belongs to actress Dakota Johnson.
26) Devon (England): This county name from the Celtic word for defender can also be a variant of the Gaelic name Devin, meaning poet.
27) Holland (Netherlands): Meaning wooded land in Dutch, it's a region of the Netherlands.
28) Kent (England): Meaning high coast land in Old English, this makes a lovely baby name.
29) Kerala (India): This Hindi-origin name means land of the Chera, an ancient dynasty of kings.
30) Kerry (Ireland): A Gaelic name meaning dusky or dark, Kerry is an Irish county as well as belonging to stars like Kerry Washington.
31) Kyle (Scotland): This Scottish Gaelic name means narrow, and belongs to a region of Ayrshire.
32) Lorraine (France): Lothar's kingdom in Latin, this area is associated with Joan of Arc's other name, Joan of Lorraine.
33) Montana (USA): This US state name comes from a Spanish word meaning mountainous.
34) Virginia (USA): Latin name meaning pure that belongs to a US state, and is associated with the star sign Virgo.
Mountain Baby Names
Mountains make for great baby girl and baby boy names. Inspired geographical locations from the Himalayan peaks of Mount Everest to the slopes of Aspen mean you'll love these baby place names.
35) Aspen (USA): This Colorado mountain range shares its name with the aspen tree.
36) Ben (Scotland): Meaning mountain in Scottish Gaelic, Ben also means son of in Hebrew and Arabic.
37) Bia (Laos): This mountain in Laos is also short for Beatrix, a Latin-origin name meaning blessed.
38) Brandon (Ireland): One of the ten highest peaks in Ireland, this Old English name means broom hill.
39) Brocken (Germany): A mystic German mountain peak.
40) Chélia (Algeria): The highest mountain on the borders of Algeria and Tunisia.
41) Denali (USA): This Alaskan wilderness makes a baby name to love.
42) Elgon (Uganda): This extinct volcano on the border of Uganda and Kenya sounds like Elgin and Elgar.
43) Everest (Himalayas): Originally an English name meaning dweller on the River Eure, this high-altitude name belongs to the world's highest mountain.
44) Jaya (Indonesia): A Hindi name meaning victory, it's both a goddess and a mountain in Papua, Indonesia.
45) Katrine (Egypt): This Greek baby name meaning pure belongs to the highest mountain in Egypt.
46) Kimberley (Canada): An English name meaning from the royal forest, it's a scenic mountain park in Canada.
47) Lui: (Scotland): A mountain in Scotland that also works as a variant of both French Louis and Chinese Lui.
48) Nevis (Scotland): The highest mountain in Scotland, a Caribbean island and singer Nelly Furtado's daughter.
49) Rosa (Italy/Switzerland): Monte Rosa is a massif in the Alps between Italy and Switzerland.
50) Sierra (Spain): This pretty baby name comes from the Spanish word for mountains.
51) Topanga (USA): This Native American Californian canyon name means mountain meets sea.
52) Wyvis (Scottish): Not for the faint-hearted, this mountain in Scotland is sometimes called the Mountain of Terror.
53) Zaskar (India): The mountains between Zanskar and Ladakh, this name means either copper or good and beautiful.
River And Lake Names
These fluid geographical names inspired by rivers and lakes make memorable baby names for any new addition to the family.
54) Angel (Venezuela): A heavenly name belonging to the world's highest waterfall.
55) Constance (Germany, Austria, Switzerland): This wide lake doubles up as a virtue name.
56) Darya (Afghanistan): The Amu Darya is a major river flowing through the Pamir mountains of Central Asia.
57) Garda (Italy): The largest lake in Italy, known for its beautiful scenery and clear waters.
58) Hudson (USA): A river in New York State.
59) Huron (USA): One of the five Great Lakes in the US.
60) Murray (Australia): Australia's longest river, it shares its name with celebrities like Bill Murray.
61) Nile (Egypt): This famous Egyptian river sounds like a Welsh name meaning champion.
62) Sevan (Armenia): This brilliant blue lake is the largest in the Caucasus.
63) Shannon (Ireland): Meaning wise river, it's the longest river in Ireland.
64) Tigris (Mesopotamia): Meaning sharp arrow or tiger, this river flows through Syria and Iraq.
65) Trent (England): The River Trent flows across the midlands.
66) Vostok (Russia): This lake in Russian Antarctica is located on the Pole of Cold.
67) Zaire (DR Congo): The river to end all rivers.
Sea And Beach Names
If the sea is more your style, these salty geographical baby names should get you inspired.
68) Adria; Adrian (Italy, Croatia): From the limpid Adriatic sea, this is a great name for girls or boys.
69) Avalon (Australia): A beautiful beach in New South Wales.
70) Azure (France): Meaning blue in French, the name of the Côte d'Azur.
71) Bering (Arctic): A chilly strait in the Arctic Circle, and a cool baby place name.
72) Caspian (Central Asia): The world's largest inland sea, and a character in The Chronicles of Narnia.
73) Coral (Australia): Off the north coast of Australia, the Coral Sea is famous for its beauty.
74) Galilee (Israel): A great choice for those looking for a Biblical place name.
75) Marmara (Turkey): A Turkish inland sea.
76) Oceane (French): The mother of all sea-related baby names, this one means ocean.
77) Ross (Antarctica): The southernmost sea on Earth, from Scottish Gaelic headland.
78) Tasman (Australia): A sea between the mainland and Tasmania.
If you're after a moniker inspired by a place name, you're "shore" to love these island baby names.
79) Aran (Ireland): These green isles off the coast of Ireland make a variant on Aaron.
80) Bali (Indonesia): This beautiful island name means powerful; brave.
81) Catalina (USA): From Spanish pure, this island off the coast of California makes a variation on Catherine.
82) Cayman (Caribbean): Both a Caribbean island and a crocodile.
83) Fraser (Australia): This Gaelic name meaning strawberry is a sand island off Australia's East Coast.
84) Iona (Scotland): Meaning blessed, this place name belongs to an island in the Hebrides.
85) Islay (Scotland): Another Scottish isle, this name meaning island is also spelled Isla.
86) Kauai (Hawaii): Means garden island in Hawaiian.
87) Saba (Antilles): An island in the Antilles, this is a unisex given name in several languages.
88) Saria (Greece): This Greek island name is related to Sarah, meaning princess.
89) Summer (Scotland): The Summer Isles are just off the coast of Scotland.
90) Vaila (Shetlands): A Norse-origin name for an island in the Shetland archipelago.
91) Vega (Norway): A UNESCO heritage site in Norway, this beautiful island make a great baby name.
Desert Baby Names
These geography baby names to love are inspired by the desert.
92) Arizona (USA): A hot, desert state in the US.
93) Kara (Central Asia): The Kara Kum (Black Sand) desert in Central Asia sounds like the girls' name meaning love.
94) Namib (Namibia): The great place in the local language.
95) Ordos (China): A desert in Inner Mongolia.
96) Ryn (Kazakhstan): This desert on the border of Kazakhstan is also a Welsh name meaning ruler.
97) Sahara (West Africa): The evocative Arabic-origin name of the biggest desert in the world.
98) Yuma (USA, Bahamas): A Bahamian island, a desert in Arizona and a Native American name meaning chief's son.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.