It can be a tough decision when naming your baby, so why not try one of these bewitching Harry Potter baby names?
The magical world of Harry Potter with its charming characters has been enchanting the whole world for several years. It is no wonder that Harry Potter baby names are popular, with their spellbinding roots.
Whether you're a Harry Potter superfan or simply want a magical baby name for your newborn, look no further. We have compiled a list of Harry Potter inspired baby names. Some are popular baby names and some baby names are completely unique Potter baby names.
Main Characters’ Names
For a truly Harry Potter inspired baby name, check out the main characters' names from Harry Potter. Many of these Potter baby names are foolproof as they are already popular baby names.
1. Albus: (Latin) means "white". Albus is first name of Professor Dumbledore, the Headmaster at Hogwarts.
2. Arthur: (English) the name of Papa Weasley. This name was made famous by King Arthur.
3. Frederick: (German) means "peaceful ruler". One of the Weasley twins.
4. George: (Greek) means "farmer". George is the other Weasley twin.
5. Ginevra: (Italian) the one girl in the Weasley clan.
6. Ginny: Ginevra is known by her friends as Ginny.
7. Harry: (German) means "ruler". The ultimate Harry Potter name for your baby boy.
8. Hermione: (Greek) means "well-born". Hermione is best friends with Harry Potter and Ron Weasley.
9. Luna: (Greek) Luna means "moon" and is a popular girl baby name. Luna is part of Dumbledore’s army.
10. Neville: (French) means "from the new village". Neville Longbottom is one member of Dumbledore's army.
11. Potter: (English) means "pot maker". Another Harry Potter inspired baby name after the "boy who lived".
12. Remus: (Latin) also known as Professor Lupin, the lycanthropic Auror. Remus is one of the founders of Rome.
13. Ronald: (English) means "ruler of decisions". The best friend of Hermione Granger and Harry Potter.
14. Rubeus: (Latin) means "ruby". Rubeus is the first name of the Hogwarts gamekeeper Hagrid.
15. Severus: (Latin) Severus Snape is Harry Potter's potions professor.
16. Sirius: (Latin) means "burning". Sirius is Harry Potter's godfather.
17. Xeno: (Greek) a unique name meaning "lover of strange things". The nickname of Luna Lovegood's father, Xenophilius.
Names Of Characters At Hogwarts
This list of Harry Potter baby names is after the students and teachers that walk the halls of Hogwarts.
18. Angelina: (Greek) means "messenger". She is in the Gryffindor Quidditch team.
19. Argus: in Greek mythology, Argus was a giant watchman with a hundred eyes. Argus Filch is the caretaker at Hogwarts.
20. Aurora: (Greek) means "dawn". Professor Aurora Sinistra taught Astronomy at Hogwarts.
21. Cho: (Chinese origin) Cho is a love interest of Harry Potter at school.
22. Dean: (English) means "valley". Dean is another Gryffindor student.
23. Filius: (Latin) means "son of". The Professor who famously taught "wingardium leviosa".
24. Hannah: (Hebrew) means "grace". Hannah is in Hufflepuff.
25. Horace: (Latin) means "man of time". Professor Horace Slughorn was a potions master.
26. Justin: (Latin) means "just". He is a friend of Harry in Hufflepuff.
27. Katie: (English) means "pure". Katie Bell is on the Gryffindor quidditch team.
28. Lavender: (Latin) Lavender Brown was a student and also Ron’s girlfriend.
29. Millicent: (French) means "strength". she was a student in Slytherin.
30. Minerva: Professor Minerva McGonagall is the head of Gryffindor house. Minerva is the Roman goddess of wisdom.
31. Oliver: (Latin) means "olive tree". Oliver Wood is the captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team.
32. Padma: (Sanskrit) means "lotus". Padma is a Ravenclaw prefect.
33. Pansy: (English) is a Slytherin.
34. Pavarti: (Sanskrit) means "daughter of the mountain". She attended the Yule ball with Harry Potter.
35. Phineas: (Hebrew) means "oracle". Phineas Black was the ex-Headmaster of Hogwarts.
36. Pomona: Pomona Sprout is the cheerful Herbology professor. She is named after the Roman Goddess of plenty.
37. Poppy: (English) Madame Poppy Pomfrey was Hogwarts' school nurse and is a popular baby girl name.
38. Quirinus: is a name of Latin origin after an early Roman god. Quirinus Quirrell was a defense against the dark arts teacher.
39. Roger: (German) means "fame". Roger is the captain of the Ravenclaw Quidditch team.
40. Sinistra: (Latin) means "left-handed". Sinistra is the mysterious Professor of Astronomy.
41. Seamus: (Irish) means "supplanter". Seamus Finnigan is another friend of Harry.
42. Sybil: the first name of Professor Trelawney. The name Sybil has references to Greek oracles.
Goblet Of Fire Names
These Harry Potter inspired baby names are from the Goblet of Fire book, where Harry Potter competes in the legendary Triwizard Tournament.
43. Amos: (Hebrew) means "strong". The father of Cedric Diggory.
44. Basil: (Greek) means "royal". A ministry wizard working at the Quidditch world cup.
45. Bill: (English) means "with gilded helmet". He is the oldest Weasley boy.
46. Cedric: (Celtic) means "bounty". Cedric Diggory is a Hogwarts champion for the Triwizard tournament.
47. Charlie: (English) means "free man". Charlie is the second oldest Weasley.
48. Ernie: (German) means "earnest". A Hufflepuff and loyal fan of Cedric.
49. Fleur: (French) means "flower". Fleur Delacour was the champion from Beauxbaton competing in the Triwizard tournament.
50. Gabrielle: (French) female version of Gabriel meaning "man of God". She is Fleur's sister.
51. Igor: (Russian) means "warrior". The ex-death eater and head of Durmstrang.
52. Ludo: (German) means "fighter". Ludo is the head of games at the Ministry of Magic.
53. Maxime: (French) means greatest. She is the headmistress of Beauxbatons.
54. Percy: (English) means "pierces the valley". Another Weasley boy.
55. Rosmerta: (Celtic) means "provider". The owner of The Three Broomsticks pub.
56. Viktor: (Hungarian) means "victorious". Viktor Krum was a quidditch star and the Durmstrang champion in the tournament.
Order Of The Phoenix Names
The Order of the Phoenix is a group of good witches and wizards fighting against the Dark Lord. These Harry Potter baby names are perfect to set your child up to be a strong fighter for justice.
57. Alastor: (Greek) means "avenger". He is also known as Mad-Eye Moody.
58. Andromeda: (Greek) means "ruler of men". Andromeda is the sister of Bellatrix Lestrange but an ally to the Order.
59. Arabella: (Latin) means "yielding to power". Arabella watched over Harry Potter as a boy.
60. Elphias: (German) means "eager for war". Elphias is one of Dumbledore's oldest friends.
61. Emmeline: (French) means "hardworking" and s sweet girl name.
62. Fletcher: (English) means "seller of arrows". Mundungus Fletcher is a member of the Order.
63. Hestia: is an Auror. Hestia was the Greek goddess of the hearth.
64. James: (Hebrew) means "supplanter". James is Harry's father.
65. Kingsley: (Anglo-Saxon) means “from the king’s meadow”. He worked for the Ministry of Magic.
66. Lily: (Latin) Lily J. Potter is Harry’s mother.
67. Molly: (English) The mother of the Weasley family.
68. Nymphadora: Nymphadora Tonks is one quirky member of the Order. Her name has reference to nymphs in Greek mythology.
69. Rufus: (Latin) means "red-haired". Rufus Scrimgeour becomes a Minister of Magic.
Wicked Villain Names That We Love
Whilst these characters may have been on the darker side, their names are spellbindingly powerful and unique.
70. Alecto: a powerful witch. Alecto is a fury in Greek mythology.
71. Amycus: a professor at Hogwarts who was also a death eater.
72. Barty: (Greek) the shortened form of Bartemius meaning "honourable son". A wise and cunning death eater.
73. Bellatrix: (Latin) means "female warrior". Bellatrix is one of Voldemort's most loyal followers. Bellatrix is a unique and gorgeous baby girl name.
74. Cornelius: (Latin) means "horn". The unpopular but smart minister of magic.
75. Dolores: (Spanish) means "sorrow". Dolores was a headmistress at Hogwarts.
76. Draco: (Latin) means "dragon". Draco Malfoy is the enemy of Harry Potter at school.
77. Fenrir: a wolf in Norse mythology. Fenrir is a werewolf.
78. Gellert: (Hungarian) means "brave with a spear". Gellert is an incredibly famous wizard.
79. Gregory: (Latin) means "watchful". One of Draco's sidekicks.
80. Lucius: (Light) means "light bearer". Lucius is Draco's father.
81. Macnair: (Scottish) a cool name inspired by this executioner.
82. Narcissa: (Greek) means "daffodil". She is Draco's mother.
83. Orion: (Greek) means "son of fire". Orion was Sirius Black's more dark father.
84. Peter: (Greek) means "rock". Peter has the ability to turn into a rat.
85. Rudolphus: (German) means "fame". He is Bellatrix's husband/sidekick.
86. Tom: (Greek) means "purity". Tom Riddle is the original name of Voldemort.
87. Vincent: (Latin) means "to conquer". Vincent Crabbe is Draco's henchman.
88. Yaxley: (English) Yaxley fought in the first wizarding war.
Names Of Magical Creatures
These Potter inspired baby names might be of the mystical creatures within the wizarding world, but they also make unique, interesting, and fierce baby names.
89. Aragog: a giant spider very beloved by Hagrid. Aragog’s name has reference to arachnids.
90. Errol: (English) means "earl". Errol is the Weasleys' owl.
91. Fawkes: the name of Dumbledore's Phoenix. It is a nod to Guy Fawkes.
92. Firenze: (Hungarian) means "flower". He is a centaur and the professor of Divination.
93. Hermes: the screech owl owned by Percy Weasley. Hermes is the Greek messenger god.
94. Myrtle: (English) means "flowering shrub". Moaning Myrtle is the name of the student ghost from the Chamber of Secrets.
95. Nagini: (Sanskrit) means "snake". Nagini is the snake Horcrux.
96. Olympe: (French) means "Olympian". Also known as Madame Maxime of Beauxbatons.
97. Phoenix: is a beautiful bird in Greek mythology and Dumbledore's pet.
98. Veela: magical creatures similar to sirens in Greek mythology.
Names Of Famous Witches And Wizards
These Harry Potter names are dedicated to the famous magical people from the past and present.
99. Aiden: (Irish) means "fiery". Aiden Lynch is a seeker for the Irish Quidditch team.
100. Celestina: (French) means "heavenly". Celestina Warbeck is known as "the singing sorceress".
101. Garrick: (English) means “one who governs with a spear". The first name of the wand maker Ollivander.
102. Gilderoy: (Gaelic) means "son of red-headed". Gilderoy Lockhart is a famous author in the magic world.
103. Godric: (English) means “good person”. Godric Gryffindor is one of the founders of Hogwarts.
104. Helena: (Greek) means "bright light". the Ravenclaw founder of Hogwarts.
105. Helga: (Norse) means "holy". One of the founders of Hogwarts.
106. Newton: (English) means "new town". Newton Scamander was a famous "magizoologist".
107. Ollivander: (Mediterranean) means "he who owns an olive wand". The family name of famous wandmakers.
108. Rita: (Spanish) the short form of Margartia meaning "pearl". She is a journalist in the wizarding world.
109. Rowena: (Anglo-Saxon) means "white-haired". The Ravenclaw founder of Hogwarts.
110. Salazar: (Basque) a name of Basque origin given to the Slytherin founder of Hogwarts.
Danielle was born and raised in London but has travelled all over the world chasing waves. Her mum is one of ten siblings, so she has always been surrounded by a massive network of family. Danielle is always looking for new and fun activities to do with her relatives. If it is outdoors and adventurous - even better!