Unlike a dog or a cat, owning a monkey can be very challenging due to the care they require.
Being closest to human beings in terms of body structure and brain, monkeys are considered to be one of the most interesting animals in the world. Several experiments and research have been published regarding the progression of man from a monkey.
If you own a pet monkey, you will also know that they are extremely intelligent and can display behavior far more sophisticated than any other animal. Several Hollywood movies have made them their prime subject. From ‘Planet of the Apes’ to ‘King Kong’ to ‘Monkey King’, apes and monkeys have been among the favorite animals onscreen.
Famous And Cute Monkey Names
Here is a list of some of the iconic monkey names from movies, cartoons with monkeys and from real life that can make for a marvelous choice for your pet monkey.
1. Abu: Who can forget the famous and endearing monkey from ‘Aladdin’. He is the most famous of all the animated monkeys to come on screen.
2. Aldo: From the iconic Hollywood movie ‘Planet of the Apes’.
3. Bear: Let us first be clear- this is the name of a chimpanzee and not a bear. It refers to B.J.s best friend in the late '70s sitcom.
4. Bingo: This pet monkey name came from ‘The Banana Splits’.
5. Clyde: This was the name of a lovely orangutan who starred in ‘Every Which Way You Lose’.
6. Crystal: This mischievous capuchin became the star of the show in ‘The Hangover Part II’.
7. Ella: This name became popular after its usage in the spine chilling thriller ‘Monkey Shines’.
8. Gordo: This was the name of a squirrel monkey who got launched into fame after surviving being launched aboard Jupiter AM 13.
9. George: This marvelous star of ‘Curious George’ was created by the famous duo of Margret Rey and Augusto Rey.
10. Iwazaru: This is the name of the Japanese monkey who embodies the principle of speak no evil.
11. Kikazaru: This is the name of the famous Japanese monkey who embodies the principle of hear no evil.
12. King Kong: He is the grand ape and the chief simian of all.
13. Koko: This western Lowland gorilla came to be famous for his understanding of more than 1000 signs from American Sign Language.
14. Marcel: This name came from the popular American sitcom ‘Friends’.
15. Mighty Joe Young: Though first dismissed as a ‘King Kong’ knockoff, the 1949 original version of this ape adventure movie won the audience with its winsome charm.
16. Mizaru: This is the name of the famous Japanese monkey who embodies the principle of see no evil.
17. Mr. Teeny: This trusty sidekick has been a part of ‘The Simpsons’ since its inception.
18. Nim: He was the star of one of the most anticipated simian documentary movies in Hollywood.
19. Pipsqueak: This was the name of an adorable marmoset who happened to urinate on the famous Johny Carson on the national television.
20. Rafiki: This popular monkey name derives its popularity from ‘The Lion King’.
21. Space: An ode to the Space Monkeys band.
22. Spike: This monkey became famous after the career-making movie of Jim Carrey, ‘Ace Ventura: Pet Detective’.
23. Tala: Popularized by the kid's cartoon ‘Shimmer And Shine’.
Female Monkey Names
Here are some cool names perfect for all female monkey types.
24. Viona: This is the Dutch form of the Gaelic name Fiona which means "vine".
25. Totit: This name has been derived from Ethiopian etymology where it means a “female monkey”.
26. Papina: This name means "a vine growing around an oak tree".
27. Fiona: Anglicized version of the Irish Gaelic name Fiona which means "vine".
28. Ffion: This is the Welsh variant of the Irish Gaelic name Fiona.
Male Monkey Names
Here, we list some of the coolest male monkey names.
29. Ahote: This name derives its roots from Native American Hopi culture.
30. Ampelio: This is the Italian version of the Latin word ampelius. It means "a vine".
31. Ampelios: This is the Greek version derived from the Latin word ampelos.
32. Caesar: Popularized by the 'Planet Of Apes' movie.
33. Cheetah: This was the name of the chimpanzee friend of Tarzan.
34. Hanuman: The Hindi meaning of this word is "broken chin".
35. Harish: A Hindi name that is composed of two elements: 'Hari' means "monkey", and 'ish' means "lord".
36. Hister: The vocabulary of this name means "imitating, mimicking or parroting".
Funny Names For Your Pet
Here are a few funny monkey names you can choose from, they work for both genders.
37. Banana: After all, it is their favorite food.
38. Boots: This is a good name for a tiny monkey.
39. Coconut: This name can define the personality of your monkey.
40. Sticklimbs: A great choice for a pet with long limbs.
Kidadl has lots of great names articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for monkey names then why not take a look at these lizard names, or for something different take a look at these names that mean lion.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.