To feel melancholic is to delve into pensive sorrow for unending amounts of time due to unknown or no real causes.
As opposed to the dictionary definition of melancholy, a great percent of the population do feel melancholic due to various reasons be it trivial or deep. Various causes can trigger melancholy like reading a really sad book or watching a movie, missing someone, and many other reasons.
In many instances, the feeling of melancholy makes people crave company when they're alone or make one's eyes well up with tears involuntarily. These instances can happen at any point of the day be it in broad daylight or in the middle of the night. It can even make one delve into depression or help one to get stronger to take on new days. In days of want and solitude, it so happens that reading a romantic book or love poetry can trigger a kind of melancholy within you which makes everything look like gloom. Memories of the death of someone close or when a loved one is away for a long time can sometimes make you lose yourself in deep melancholic thought of what could have been had that person been close.
Here is a list of some of the most famous and best quotes on melancholy from prose, poetry, and other sources that will make you want to plunge into a pensive state of thought from noon to night. Hopefully, these melancholy quotes are just what you are looking for!
Sad Philosophical Quotes
If you are looking for some of the most beautiful melancholia quotes and profound sadness quotes, this list will come in handy.
1. "I have absolutely no pleasure in the stimulants in which I sometimes so madly indulge."
-Edgar Allan Poe.
2. "A melancholy-looking man, he had the appearance of one who has searched for the leak in life's gas-pipe with a lighted candle."
3. "Melancholy: an appetite no misery satisfies."
4. "Depression is melancholy minus its charms."
5. "For some nights I slept profoundly; but still every morning I felt the same lassitude, and a languor weighed upon me all day. I felt myself a changed girl."
-Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu.
6. "I'm a melancholy person. It's how I'm always going to be."
7. "Melancholy is the happiness of being sad."
8. "My melancholy is the most faithful mistress I have known; what wonder, then, that I love her in return."
9. "I can barely conceive of a type of beauty in which there is no Melancholy."
10. "While on the outside everything happens with the vertiginous rhythm of a cataract, on the inside is the exhausted adagio of drops of water falling from time to tired time."
11. "It is a melancholy truth that even great men have their poor relations."
12. "Do not make best friends with a melancholy sad soul. They always are heavily loaded, and you must bear half."
13. "Melancholy is sadness that has taken on lightness."
14. "When you write a song, it may come from a personal space, but it very seldom actually represents you. It comes out of a sort of mood of melancholy, somehow. It's almost theatrical."
15. "There is a sense of melancholy attached to seeing images of yourself from a different era, especially when you see a picture."
17. "There is a life and there is a death, and there are beauty and melancholy between."
18. "Great men are always of a nature originally melancholy."
19. "Melancholy were the sounds on a winter's night."
-Virginia Woolf, 'Jacob's Room'.
20. "Nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won."
-Duke of Wellington.
21. "All changes are more or less tinged with melancholy, for what we are leaving behind is part of ourselves."
- Amelia Barr
22. "And so, being young and dipt in folly, I fell in love with melancholy."
-Edgar Allan Poe
23. "I felt that I breathed an atmosphere of sorrow."
-Edgar Allan Poe.
24. "Ever since I was a kid, I've always been interested in the poetry of melancholy, if you like."
25. "The company of fools may first make us smile, but in the end, we always feel melancholy."
26. "Daily I go and retrieve its tattered remains, place them delicately into its little coffin, and bury it in the depths of my memory, only to have to do it all again tomorrow."
27. "All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another."
28. "When humor can be made to alternate with melancholy, one has a success, but when the same things are funny and melancholic at the same time, it's just wonderful."
29. "I have laughed more than daffodils and cried more than June."
30. "What if everything in the world were a misunderstanding, what if laughter were really tears?"
Melancholy Quotes From Shakespeare
For a list of some of the most beautiful feeling melancholy quotes, Shakespeare and his works have a special place including famous 'Hamlet' melancholy quotes.
31. "Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind."
-'A Midsummer Night's Dream'.
32. "Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once."
33. "Sufferance is the badge of all our tribe.
-'The Merchant of Venice'.
34. "To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man."
35. "On pain of death, no person be so bold."
-'King Richard II'.
36. "Nothing emboldens sin so much as mercy.
-'Timon Of Athens'.
37. "Love is a smoke and is made with the fume of sighs."
-'Romeo & Juliet'.
39. "How many fond fools serve mad jealousy?"
-'The Comedy Of Errors'.
40. "The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones."
41. "Poor and content is rich, and rich enough."
42. "Men are April when they woo, December when they wed: maids are May when they are maids, but the sky changes when they are wives."
-'As You Like It'.
45. "This above all; to thine own self be true.
48. "Marriage is a matter of more worth than to be dealt in by attorneyship."
50. "Neither a borrower nor a lender be, for loan oft loses both itself and friend, and borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry."
Best Melancholy Quotes About Love And Life
If you are suffering from a broken heart, you will relate to these relevant melancholy quotes on love and life especially to ponder upon when it rains.
51. "Why is love intensified by absence?"
52. "Nobody ever gets what they want when it comes to love."
53. "It's how I fill the time when nothing's happening. Thinking too much, flirting with melancholy."
54. "In everybody's life, there is love, there is sorrow, there is melancholy."
55. "There is something sinister, something quite biographical about what I do - but that part is for me."
56. "There's a sadness about love, a melancholy, and a sadness about beauty. It's just part of the human experience of living on this planet."
-James Newton Howard.
57. "No one can actually define love, but you attempt to, and the closest you can get is longing. And that itself has a melancholy to it."
58. "Only tears can hear the sound of pain when warm blood reddens discolored stain."
59. "Melancholia is, I believe, a musical problem: a dissonance, a change in rhythm."
60. "I fall into melancholies of honey and roses which are none the less melancholy."
61. "It seems to me that all those I love forget me and that it is justice because I live a selfish life having nothing to do for any one of them."
62. "How many people shut themselves away to make themselves sadder, or to weep beside a stream, or choose a sentimental book!"
-Comte de Lautreamont.
63." In this existence, so even, so tranquil, and so gentle as I have here, I am in an element that weakens me morally while strengthening me physically."
64. "You can say dread, or doom - it's that feeling we all feel when we fall in love with someone: we have this horrible, fearful feeling that maybe we will never have that person in our life."
65. "Despair is the cruel beginning of the differing degrees of wickedness."
-Comte de Lautreamont.
66. "Melancholy characterizes those with a superb sense of the sublime."
67. "The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears."
-John Vance Cheney.
68. "A strange melancholy was stealing over me, a melancholy that I would not have interrupted."
-Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu.
69. "I think there is a lot of romance, melancholy. There's a sadness to it, but there's romance in sadness. I suppose I am a very melancholy person."
70. "It is melancholy that causes those delightful tears to flow, and produces that melting disposition of the heart which is felt in the enjoyment of a pure pleasure, in the possession of a sweet and certain joy."
'Anatomy Of Melancholy' Quotes
Here is a list of some of the good melancholy quotes about 'The Anatomy Of Melancholy' by Robert Burton which you will like.
71. "All my joys to this are folly
Naught so sweet as melancholy."
72. "Of all the habits that were hard to break being bookish was perhaps the most difficult."
73. "What cannot be cured must be endured."
74. "To enlarge or illustrate this power and effect of love is to set a candle in the sun."
75. "Melancholy can be overcome only by melancholy."
76. "We can make mayors and officers every year, but not scholars."
77. "A blow with a word strikes deeper than a blow with a sword."
78. "If you like not my writing, go read something else."
79. "They may not cease, but as a dog in a wheel, a bird in a cage, or a squirrel in a chain, so Budaeus compares them; they climb and climb still, with much labour, but never make an end, never at the top."
80. "The men who succeed are the efficient few."
81. "Worldly wealth is the Devil's bait; and those whose minds feed upon riches recede, in general, from real happiness, in proportion as their stores increase, as the moon, when she is fullest, is farthest from the sun."
82. "The Chinese say that we Europeans have one eye, they themselves two, all the world else is blinde."
83. "Let thy fortune be what it will, 'tis thy mind alone that makes thee poor or rich, miserable or happy."
84. "A dwarf standing on the shoulders of a giant may see farther than a giant himself."
85. "Thou canst not think worse of me than I do of myself."
Feeling Of Emptiness Quotes
You will be able to relate to this list of melancholy quotes including the saddest quotes in the world when your heart feels empty if you have ever felt alone or when you're craving some good company.
86. "I don't know what's worse: to not know what you are and be happy, or to become what you've always wanted to be, and feel alone."
87. "A poet is a nightingale who sits in darkness and sings to cheer its own solitude with sweet sounds."
-Percy Bysshe Shelley.
88. "It is warm, I am alive, I am calm and sad, I hardly know why."
89. "The very slow rhythm of the melancholic soul does not only rise to that of the outside world: it overtakes it with an ineffably blissful exorbitance, and the soul then thrills animated by delirious new energies."
90. "Bowed by the weight of centuries he leans upon his hoe and gazes on the ground, the emptiness of ages in his face, and on his back the burden of the world."
91. "Melancholy and sadness are the start of doubt."
-Comte de Lautreamont.
92. "A couple of divorces. A psych ward. Broke. At one point he was selling cars."
93. "A tendency to melancholy let it be observed, is a misfortune, not a fault."
94. "No one explains this to you, he thought. That there are so many things without a solution."
95. "It is a very melancholy reflection that men are usually so weak that it is absolutely necessary for them to know sorrow and pain to be in their right senses."
96. "Melancholy is a sensual pleasure that is deliberately provoked. We are constantly building and unbuilding ourselves."
97. "Melancholy is not one of my emotions. Quite seriously, I don't do melancholy. It's a miserable way to be."
98. "Depression is melancholy minus its charms the animation, the fits."
99. "The melancholy days are come, the saddest of the year, Of wailing winds, and naked woods and meadows brown and sear."
-William C. Bryant.
100. "There is no coming to consciousness without pain."
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for Melancholy quotes then why not take a look at manifestation quotes, or candle quotes.
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.