Image © Daniel Cheung on Unsplash.
It can be difficult to pick the perfect name from the endless choice of baby names out there.
If you're a fan of the Force take a look at these sci-fi Star Wars baby names for girls. One of these names taken from a galaxy far far away could be the perfect Star Wars inspired name you've been looking to call your new baby girl.
From Jedi Masters to Rebel fighters, these meaningful girl names from Star Wars could suit your young Padawan perfectly. Here's a list of 39 girl Star Wars names for some ideas for names for your new baby girl.
Female Jedi Names
These female Star Wars characters know how to wield a lightsaber but they're also extremely intelligent, kind and funny. Awaken the Force within your child with one of these Jedi character names.
1) Aayla: inspired by the Sanskrit name Ayla, meaning "light" or "born of knowledge". This female character in Star Wars served as a Jedi General in the Clone Wars.
2) Allie: Stass Allie was another Jedi General in the Clone Wars, her name meaning "nobility".
3) Asajj: Asajj Ventress was a powerful Sith during the Clone Wars, her name was inspired by a Japanese interpretation of Lady Macbeth named Asaji from the film "Throne of Blood".
4) Ashoka: she was a Jedi student of Anakin Skywalker during the time of the Clone Wars. Her name has Sanskrit origins and means "without sorrow".
5) Jaina: this character belongs to the Legend series, her name has Hebrew origins deriving from Jane, meaning "God is gracious".
6) Jocasta: she is the Chief Librarian of the precious Jedi archives as well as being a powerful fighter. Her name has Greek origins and means "shining moon".
7) Luminara: a serious Jedi master, her name has Spanish origins and means "child of the stars".
8) Mara: appearing in multiple Star Wars video games, her name has many meanings in different cultures including "strength", "joy" and "eternally beautiful".
9) Mari: a youngling training to be a Jedi, this name has many meanings across different cultures including "bitter", "from the sea" and "wished-for-child".
10) Nomi: she was another great Jedi master, her name derives from the English Naomi, meaning "my delight".
11) Rey: introduced to us in The Force Awakens, Rey is one of the most powerful Jedi to exist. Her name has Spanish origins and denotes to "King".
12) Tionne: she was one of the first students to learn under Luke Skywalker, her name derives from Tiana which has Latin origins, meaning "princess".
Names Of Female Leads
These girl characters from Star Wars did not have the power of the Force, however, they developed other skills and were strong and independent in their own right. Perhaps one of these Star Wars names will be the one to suit your new baby girl.
13) Allara: a youngling who studied the ways of the Jedi during the Clone Wars, her name has an Australian Aboriginal origin, meaning "sunlight".
14) Amidala: the Queen of Naboo, her name has Italian origins meaning "beautiful flower".
15) Amilyn: she was a close friend of Princess Leia as well as being a strong commander for the rebels, her name is of American origin meaning "powerful and complete".
16) Beru: she was Luke Skywalker's aunt, her name has Japanese origins meaning "bell".
17) Carasynthia: a rebel fighter from the Mandalorian, her name comes from the Irish word cara, meaning "friend".
18) Fennec: an elite assassin from the Mandalorian, her name has Arabic origins meaning "fox".
19) Jyn: from the film Rogue One, Jyn Erso was a cunning aid to the Rebels in their fight against the Empire. Her name derives from Jane, meaning "God is gracious".
20) Leia: Princess Leia is one of the original girl bosses of science fiction, her name has Hebrew origins meaning "child of Heaven" or "Heavenly flowers".
21) Lyra: mother of Jyn, her name has Greek origins that mean "lyre", the ancient musical instrument.
22) Maz: a wise and energetic character first appearing in The Force Awakens. Her name originates from New Zealand, meaning "inner strength".
23) Padme: the first name of Queen Amidala, it has Persian origins meaning "lotus".
24) Qi'ra: a powerful figure in Solo: A Star Wars Story, her name comes from the Arabic name Qira meaning "orate".
25) Rose: a pilot flying high with the Rebel Alliance, her name refers to the rose flower which symbolises love and beauty.
26) Sabine: a fierce soldier from the animated series Star Wars Rebels, her name has Latin origins meaning "from the Sabine tribe".
27) Shmi: Anakin Skywalker's mother, her name seems to originate from the Hindu Goddess Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth and purity.
Actresses From Star Wars
These Star Wars inspired baby names come from the actresses that portray these iconic characters on screen. If the previous names were too sci-fi for your taste but you still want your baby's name to have a connection to the franchise, have a look at the list below for some ideas.
28) Carrie: Carrie Fisher is famous for portraying Leia, her name has American origins and means "free".
29) Daisy: Daisy Ridley is the English actress who plays Rey, the daisy flower symbolises innocence and purity.
30) Emilia: Emilia Clarke plays Qi'ra, her name has Latin origins meaning "to excel".
31) Gwendoline: Gwendoline Christie plays the formidable Captain Phasma, her name has Welsh origins meaning "fair" and "blessed".
32) Felicity: Felicity Jones embodies Jyn Erso, her name has Old English origins meaning "happiness".
33) Kiera: Kiera Knightly was 12 years old when she played the decoy Queen Amidala in The Phantom Menace. Her name comes from the Irish name Ciara, meaning "dark haired one".
34) Kelly: Kelly Marie Tran played Rose in The Last Jedi, this name has many meanings but the American origin denotes to "warrior".
35) Laura: Laura Dern portrayed Admiral Amilyn, her name derives from Latin meaning "laurel tree".
36) Lupita: Lupita Nyong'o made her Star Wars cameo as Maz Kanata, her name has Spanish origin and means "from the river of the wolf".
37) Natalie: Natalie Portman famously played Padme Amidala in the prequel series, her name has French origins meaning "birthday of the Lord".
38) Pernilla: Pernilla August played Shmi Skywalker in The Phantom Menace, it is a Swedish name meaning "rock".
39) Phoebe: Phoebe Waller-Bridge voiced the feisty droid L3-37 in Solo: A Star Wars Story. Her name has an Ancient Greek origin, meaning "bright".
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.