No change can ever be achieved by following the herd.
It is true that mankind established its dominion as the most intelligent animal by learning to form complex communities. But at every stage of history, it seemed those who pushed its wheels forward were always forward-thinking free spirits.
Familiar is the tale of the witch hunt against the mad genius. People misunderstood them in their life, and only after generation do we, the common people, understand their value. These free thinkers spent their days to ensure the ultimate good of civilization. It is the square pegs in the round holes who always steer the course of history. But to really liberate our spirit from everything, we must recognize the rebel that we have felt within ourselves.
We know that there is also a great amount of literature around it, including poetry. Take for example the oddball poets and authors who felt that they had to place themselves with the transcendentalist movement of the early 19th century. Many of their works made their way to that special book that you read even today. The wild life quotes of transcendentalists put emphasis on freedom through self-reliance, freedom through atonement with the natural world. The literary lineage of finding one's individualism with the wild is, of course, a source of many inspirational quotes. Here is a collection of inspirational quotes to help you find your one-true individual voice. These wild quotes would inspire you to be free and forget what you're 'meant' to do. So, be wild and read of our wild quotes list, and if you like this, check out [Wilderness quotes] and Treasure quotes.
Inspirational Quotes For A Free-Spirited Life
A few inspirational quotes with the wisdom of free thinkers are sure to make you feel one with the rebel inside you. You might get that one favorite quote from your favorite book here. You could also find some new quotes that you are yet to read and would like.
1. "I have fallen in love with the imagination. And if you fall in love with the imagination, you understand that it is a free spirit. It will go anywhere, and it can do anything."
- Alice Walker, 'The World Has Changed: Conversations With Alice Walker', 2010.
2. "A free spirit takes liberties even with liberty itself."
- Francis Picabia, 'Francis Picabia: Trouble Maker', 2016.
3. "My soul is from elsewhere, I’m sure of that, and I intend to end up there."
- Mawlana Jalal-al-din Rumi, 'The Essential Rumi', 1995.
4. "I want to live my life without filters. I don’t walk on eggshells. I say what I want and I’m a very free spirit."
- Demi Lovato.
5. "I am living breathing freedom."
- Hiroko Sakai.
6. "Once the free spirit has taken hold of a man, there's no way of getting it out of him.”
- Anton Chekhov, 'About Love and Other Stories', 1895.
7. "Here the free spirit of mankind, at length,
Throws its last fetters off; and who shall place
A limit to the giant's unchained strength,
Or curb his swiftness in the forward race?"
- William Cullen Bryant, 'The Ages', Stanza XXXIII.
8. "There are incalculable resources in the human spirit, once it has been set free."
- Hubert H. Humphrey.
9. "I die, as I have lived, (...) an Anarchist, owing no allegiance to rulers, heavenly or earthly."
- Voltairine de Cleyre.
10. "Every renaissance comes to the world with a cry, the cry of the human spirit to be free."
- Anne Sullivan.
11. "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
- Albert Camus, 'The Myth of Sisyphus', 1942.
12. "I'm not a bird. No net will ensnare me. I'm a human being that has her own independent will."
- Charlotte Bronte, 'Jane Eyre'.
13. "Be water. Flowing, flexible and soft. Subtly powerful and open. Wild and serene. Able to accept all changes, yet still led by the pull of steady tides."
- Victoria Erickson.
14. "I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love."
- Leo Tolstoy, 'Family Happiness', 1859.
15. "Lock your libraries if you choose to; there isn't a lock, bolt, or gate that you'll be able to put on my mind."
- Virginia Woolf, 'A Room Of One's Own', 1929.
16. “Some birds are not meant to be caged, that's all. Their feathers are too bright, their songs too sweet and wild. So you let them go, or when you open the cage to feed them they somehow fly out past you."
- Stephen King, 'Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption', 1982.
17. "When a man is denied the right to live the life he believes in, he has no choice but to become an outlaw."
- Nelson Mandela.
18. "It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson.
19. "Release your majestic mind, embrace your untamed inner spirit. Break free from captivity, avoid society… You were born to be free."
- Melanie Mueller.
Quotes About The Wild At Heart Who Seek Their Place In Nature
Wild and free quotes for our return to a freer way of life, the long-lost idyllic past in Nature. We know you would like a quote from these wild quotes by Cheryl Strayed and others. Those who are meant to be free with the wild things would always like these wild quotes and funny wild quotes.
20. "I had diverged, digressed, wandered, and become wild."
- Cheryl Strayed.
21. "Much of human behavior can be explained by watching the wild beasts around us. They are constantly teaching us things about ourselves and the way of the universe, but most people are too blind to watch and listen."
- Suzy Kassem.
22. "Deep in his heart, every man longs for a battle to fight, an adventure to live, and a beauty to rescue."
- John Eldredge, 'Wild At Heart', 2001.
23. "Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty."
- Henry David Thoreau.
24. "...the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars."
- Jack Kerouac, 'On The Road', 1957.
25. "We need the tonic of wildness ... At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because unfathomable. We can never have enough of nature."
- Henry David Thoreau, 'Walden', 1854.
26. "If Music is a Place -- then Jazz is the City, Folk is the Wilderness, Rock is the Road, Classical is a Temple."
- Vera Nazarian.
27. "Wildflower; pick up your pretty little head,
It will get easier, your dreams are not dead."
- Nikki Rowe, 'Once A Girl, Now A Woman', 2013.
28. "How wild it was, to let it be."
- Cheryl Strayed.
29. "Nature provides exceptions to every rule."
- Margaret Fuller.
30. "Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair."
- Kahlil Gibran, 'The Prophet', 1923.
31. "This whole world is wild at heart and weird on top."
- David Lynch.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for Wild Quotes then why not take a look at [Wildflower quotes], or Yin Yang quotes.
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.