Turtles are the most adorable creatures on planet Earth.
They have slowly and steadily crept into our animal-loving hearts. Turtles, no matter how big or small, are loved by all and sundry.
Despite being the most lovable animals in nature, certain turtle species also make great pets. They are highly intelligent and sentient beings who can easily learn their names. Here's a list of the top 40 names for turtles that put the "rad" in "radical."
Cute And Funny Turtle Names For Girls
Turtles make the sweetest pets. Here's a list of female turtle names.
1. Annabel (English origin) meaning "grace"; from 'Annabel and Turtle.'
2. Bertie (German origin) meaning "bright,"; a famous race turtle.
3. Colby (Norse origin) meaning "swarthy place."
4. Ella (Greek origin) meaning "beautiful,"; a turtle from 'Sammy.'
5. Lily (Hebrew origin) meaning "pure,"; a famous sea turtle.
6. Luna (Latin origin) meaning "moon." A great name for a girl turtle.
7. Myrtle (English origin) meaning "evergreen shrub"; rhymes with "turtle."
8. Shelby (English origin) meaning "from the town in the hollow"; a good name.
9. Shelly (English origin), meaning "meadow's edge."
10. Starla (American origin) meaning "star."
11. Yertle (Fictional origin) meaning unknown; from 'Yertle, the turtle.'
Rad Turtle Names For Boys
Here's a rad list of male names of turtles to make the owners swoon.
12. Blastoise (Fictional origin), meaning "water blasting tortoise"; from 'Pokemon.'
13. Donatello (Italian origin) meaning "gift"; from 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.'
14. Leonardo (Italian origin) meaning "strong as a lion"; from 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.'
15. Michelangelo (Italian origin) meaning "Michael, God's messenger"; from 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.'
16. Nemo (Greek origin) meaning "from the valley"; from 'Finding Nemo.'
17. Ninja (Japanese origin) meaning "persevere"; from 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.'
18. Raphael (Hebrew origin) meaning "he has healed"; from 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.'
19. Sammy (Hebrew origin) meaning "God heard"; from 'Sammy.'
20. Sheldon (English origin) meaning "town in the valley"; cute name for a male turtle.
21. Slider (English origin) meaning "one who slides"; great name for a red-eared slider.
22. Sluggy (English origin) meaning "slow"; one of the fitting names of pet turtles.
23. Squirtle (Fictional origin) meaning "water squirting Turtle"; from 'Pokemon.'
24. Wartortle (Fictional origin) meaning "war turtle"; from 'Pokemon.'
Quirky Gender-Neutral Turtle Names
Here's a list of funny names for your turtle, which are gender-neutral.
25. Crush (English origin) meaning "to smash"; from 'Finding Nemo.'
26. Flip (Dutch origin) meaning "turn upside down."
27. Flippers (English origin) meaning "a broad, flat limb used to swim."
28. Gator (American origin) meaning "alligator."
29. Molasses (Portuguese origin) meaning "uncrystallized sugar syrup."
30. Monster (English origin) meaning "terrifying creature."
31. Puddles (English origin) meaning "small pool of water."
32. Quickie (English origin) meaning "fast."
33. Slick (English origin) meaning "smooth and glossy."
34. Slimer (English origin) meaning "slime producing."
35. Snapper (English origin) meaning "one who snaps"; a good name for a snapping turtle.
36. Speedy (English Origin), meaning "fast-paced."
37. Squiggles (English Origin) meaning "to wiggle."
38. Squirt (English Origin) meaning "spurt of liquid"; from "Finding Nemo'.
39. Star (English Origin), meaning "luminous cosmic object."
40. Waddles (English Origin), meaning "a clumsy gait."
Kidadl has lots of great names articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for Turtle Names then why not take a look at Lizard Names, or for something different take a look at Mythical Horse Names.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.