Fraternities and sororities are brotherhood or sisterhoods conformed to shared objectives and goals.
Fraternities and Sororities organizations are Latin terms that mean brother and sister respectively. The oldest fraternal association in the United States of America was the Phi Beta Kappa Society, established on December 5, 1776, at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia.
They play an important role in American college life. These are organizations of college students that gather to encourage regular social and scholarly interests. In the late 1700s and 1800s, colleges of the United States were dominated by Ancient Greek and Latin scholarship. So, it became mandatory to learn Latin and Greek. As a result, all the names of American fraternity and sorority organizations use Greek letters to allude to their associations. This means that in order to pronounce fraternity names, you often need a little knowledge of the Greek alphabet.
Fraternity organizations also all have their own symbols. There are unique symbols (often related to the Greek letter or letters of the fraternity) that are associated with each fraternity. For example the symbol of Alpha Chi Alpha (local) is ΑΧΑ.
Fraternities Founded In The 1800s
University life in the nineteenth century bore numerous likenesses to current college life. The impact of Greek scholarship was a lot more prominent in the nineteenth century, this impacts is seen clearly in the names of fraternity organizations founded in this period. Here is a list of fraternities from the 1800s.
1. Alpha Delta Phi, its motto is "many hands, one heart".
2. Chi Phi, its motto is "truth, honor, and personal integrity".
3. Delta Kappa Phi, promotes excellence in the classroom and all life endeavors.
4. Kuklos Adelphon, its motto is "nothing can I prefer, when sane, to a companionable friend".
5. Phi Chi, its motto is "first to serve".
6. Pi Delta Psi, its motto is "excellence through brotherhood".
7. Rensselaer Society Of Engineers, its motto is "in time, through friendship, science and knowledge will rule the world".
8. Sigma Pi, this fraternity has welcomed more than 110,000 men and has more than 5,000 undergrad individuals in it.
9. Theta Chi, its motto is "an assisting hand".
Fraternities Set Up In The 1900s
Toward the start of the twentieth century, the number of fraternity members rose. This resulted in the period being referred to as "the Golden age of fraternalism". Take a look at the following fraternity house names from the 1900s.
10. Adelphikos, its motto is "men of honor, men of courage".
11. Aleph Zadik Aleph, its motto is "more Jewish teens, more meaningful Jewish experiences".
12. Alpha Chi Alpha
13. Alpha Delta (national), "in brotherhood we stand, in service we rise" is its motto.
14. Alpha Epsilon Pi, its motto is "developing leadership for the Jewish community".
15. Alpha Gamma Rho, its motto is "to make better men".
16. Alpha Psi Omega, its motto is "to seek a life useful".
17. Alpha Rho Upsilon, its motto is "tolerance and diversity".
18. Beta Epsilon Gamma Gamma Alpha Rho Sigma
19. Delta Epsilon Psi, its motto is "in brotherhood lies our strength".
20. Delta Omega Epsilon
21. Delta Pi Delta, its motto is "God and honor".
22. Delta Sigma Chi, its motto is "knowledge and brotherhood in a bond of union".
23. Iota Nu Delta
24. Mu Beta Psi, this is a service and music fraternity.
25. Omega Gamma Delta, it presently has over 100 chapters.
26. Phi Delta Pi, was a national honors fraternity in the disciplines of health and physical education, health sciences and recreation.
27. Psi Chi Omega, its motto is "uprightness, perseverance and eternal brotherhood".
28. Trojan Knights
29. Xi Kappa, its aim was to set up as the primary Asian premium organization in the southeast United States.
30. Zeta Chi
Fraternities Set Up In The 2000s
As the new millennium dawned many more fraternities were established. Fraternities continue to play an important role in colleges today, supporting students as they embark on the next stage of their lives. Find the names of the best and most famous fraternities from the most recent century in this list. Which name is your favorite?
31. Alpha Epsilon Omega, famous as AEO. It was founded by three spirited young men who wanted to form the first Armenian fraternity on campus.
32. Delta Beta Tau, is made for the benefit of others.
33. Delta Chi Xi, its motto is "live, love, dance".
34. Kappa Psi Kappa, its motto is "one brotherhood one bond".
35. Kappa Theta Pi, is the oldest independent fraternity in the western United States.
Fraternities That Have Been Disbanded
Many fraternities are no longer in existence because of mergers or transformations. If you are looking for the name of a disbanded fraternity, you might find it in this list or fraternity names that no longer exist.
36. Alpha Tau Sigma, is a North American fraternity name.
37. Beta Psi
38. Chi Tau (local), its motto is "to build character and to create a stronger feeling of brotherhood through tolerance".
39. Delta Epsilon (fraternity), its motto is "in brotherhood lies our strength".
40. Delta Kappa, its motto is "true leadership is possible only through honorable and upright living".
41. Omega Upsilon Phi, this is another of the North American frat names.
43. Rainbow Fraternity
44. Sigma Delta Rho
45. Sigma Delta Rho (local)
46. Sigma Gamma Chi, in this sign, "you shall conquer" is its motto.
47. Sigma Iota
48. Theta Kappa Psi
49. Union Latino Americana
Kidadl has lots of great name articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for fraternity names from the past and present, then why not take a look at some more American names with this list of the top American boy names for babies? Or you might prefer this list of the top American girl names for babies that new parents will love.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.