The Garlean Empire, or the Garlemald, constitutes a major world power in 'Final Fantasy XIV' (FFXIV).
The Garlean Empire is situated to the northeast of Eorzea. It is one of the major antagonist groups in 'Final Fantasy XIV', seeking to add the realm to its annexed territories from 15 years ago.
A character in the Garlean Empire or Garlemald is given a Garlean name that is structured as a given first name followed by Garlean middle names (which denote Garlean ranks), as well as last names that are representative of their family. When a character holds multiple Garlean titles, the title that represents the higher rank gets precedence. Garlean middle names that are representative of titles can either be changed or removed too, if required.
If a Garlean is a member of the royalty rank they may have middle names such as Zos, meaning "emperor", Yea, meaning "royal successor", or Wir, meaning "a royal family member who can't claim the throne". Non-citizens, such as Peregrinus or people from the annexed territories often take the middle name Aan, with citizens taking either Cen or Bas, depending on their profession. Van, Tol, Sas, Rem, Quo, Pyr and Oen are used to signify a character of military rank. Specialists take either Nan, Mal, Lux, Kir or Jen and public officials have Iyl, Het, Goe, Fae, Eir or Dus as their middle names.
We've put together a list of character names as well as naming conventions of the 'Final Fantasy XIV' Garleans. We hope you enjoy these 'Final Fantasy' names, and for more names inspiration you can check out our articles on 'Final Fantasy' names as well as these 'Dragon Ball' names.
Royal Family And Retainers Names
Here's a list of notable Garleans from the royal family and retainers in 'Final Fantasy XIV'.
1. Solus zos Galvus: He is the first Emperor as well as the founder of the Garlean Empire. He is also called Emet Selch. Grandfather of Varis zos Galvus. Great grandfather of Zenos yae Galvus. He is also the main antagonist in 'Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers'.
2. Varis zos Galvus: He is the new Emperor of the Garlean Empire in 'Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn'. He succeeds his grandfather, Solus zos Galvus and is father to Zenos yae Galvus. He has appeared in the Imperial Throne Room many times.
3. Zenos yae Galvus: He is the major antagonist from 'Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood' and is the son of Varis zos Galvus. He is the Legatus of the XIIth Imperial Legion and his bloodthirsty nature makes him eager to find a rival to match his strength.
IVth Legion Names
Here's a list of notable Garleans from the IVth legion in 'Final Fantasy XIV'.
4. Bajsaljen Ulgasch: He is the Bozjan resistance leader residing in Gangos in 'Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers'.
5. Basch van Gabranth: This is the name of a Legatus and leader of the IVth Imperial Legion of the Garlean Empire. He led the invasion of Bozja. He was previously a knight of the Republic of Landis, but then bent the knee to the Garlean Empire.
6. Midas nan Garlond: This is the name of the head engineer of the Garlean Empire who makes an appearance in 'Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers' during the 'Resistance Weapons' quest. He is Cid nan Garlond's father.
7. Noah van Gabranth: He is a Legatus who had led the attack on the Kingdom of Dalmasca during an earlier time, 30 years before what is depicted in the game. He presently serves as the ruler of Dalmasca, Bozja and Nagxia.
VIth Legion Names
Here's a notable character from Garlemald from the VIth legion in 'Final Fantasy XIV'.
8. Regula van Hydrus: An antagonist from 'Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward' who is after the secrets of Azys Lla to help prevent the primal cycle of rebirth.
VIIth Legion Names
Here are two notable Garleans from the VIIth legion in 'Final Fantasy XIV'.
9. Nael van Darnus: She is called the White Raven and was born as Eula Darnus. She is the original 'Final Fantasy XIV' antagonist.
10. Valens van Varro: He is an antagonist from the 'Sorrow Of Werlyt' quests in 'Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers'. He is one of the most ruthless Garleans who despises non-Garleans.
XIIth Legion Names
Here's a list of FFXIV Garlean names of notable Garlemald characters from the XIIth legion.
11. Asahi sas Brutus: He is Yotsuyu goe Brutus' adopted brother and the Garlemald Empire ambassador. He initially appears as a kind character, seeking peace between Garlemald and Doma.
12. Aulus mal Asina: He is a minor antagonist in the game and works as a scientist under Zenos yae Galvus. He is proud of his heritage and is eager to help Garleans wield magick. He also considers Garleans to be physically and intellectually superior when compared to others.
13. Fordola rem Lupis: She is the commander of Crania Lupi and a secondary antagonist from 'Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood'. She betrayed her home land, Ala Mhigo and currently serves the Garlean Empire.
14. Grynewaht pyr Arvina: He is the Garlean Empire's scout sent to Eorzea and plays the role of a minor antagonist in 'Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward'.
15. Maxima quo Priscus: He is the second in command of Asahi sas Brutus' group that is charged with the task of making peace with Doma. He also goes by the name of Maxima the Neoteric and is seen in 'Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood' as well as 'Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers'.
16. Yotsuyu goe Brutus: She serves as the imperial viceroy of Doma and is a tertiary antagonist character appearing in 'Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood'.
XIVth Legion Names
Pick a character name you like from this list of names from the Garlean Empire.
17. Gaius van Baelsar: He belongs to the Legatus Legionis among the Garlean military ranks and leads the Eorzea invasion as one of the Garlean generals. He is also called the Black Wolf and is one of the primary antagonists in the main storyline.
18. Livia sas Junius: She belongs to the Tribunus Laticlavius rank in the XIVth Imperial Legion and is alternatively known as 'The Witch of Dalmasca'.
19. Nero tol Scaeva: He belongs to the Tribunus Laticlavius rank in the XIVth Imperial Legion and appears in 'Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn'.
20. Rhitahtyn sas Arvina: He belongs to the Praefectus Castrorum rank in the XIVth Imperial Legion in Garlemald.
Other Names Of 'Final Fantasy XIV' Garleans
Haven't spotted any name you like as yet? Garlemald has plenty of character names to inspire you. Pick a name you like from this list of character names from the Garlean Empire.
21. Alma bas Lexentale: She is a supporting character from the 'Return To Ivalice' raid.
22. Arenvald Lentinus: He is a new background character who became involved in the main plot of the game only from 'Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood'. He is a member of 'Scions Of The Seventh Dawn' and a stocky Highlander from Ala Mhigan.
23. Aymeric de Borel: He is the Lord Commander of the Temple Knights and rose to his position through several achievements. He is from Ishgard and is also called Aymeric the Blue.
24. Cid nan Garlond: He heads the Garlond Ironworks which consists of Garlean and Eorzean engineers working to make magitek available in the city states of Eorzea. He was previously called Cid nan Garlond, the Chief Magitek Engineer.
25. Eline Roaille: She is General Raubahn Aldynn's right hand and the Flame Marshal of the Immortal Flames. She is also called Eline the Razor.
26. Jenomis cen Lexentale: He is a playwright who came to Garlemald in search of the truth behind the 'Zodiac Brave Story'. He is also called Arazlam Durai.
27. Lucia goe Junius: She serves as the second in command to Lord Commander, Aymeric de Borel.
28. Ramza bas Lexentale: His character alludes to that of Ramza Beoulve from 'Final Fantasy Tactics' and he is important during the 'Return To Ivalice' raid.
29. Raubahn Aldynn: He is the General of the Ul'dah Grand Company, Immortal Flames and former resident of Ala Mhigo.
30. Vitus quo Messalla: He is the Commander of the Alaudae and a cruel antagonist from the 'Gunbreaker' quest in FFXIV.
Kidadl has lots of great names articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for Garlean names and naming conventions, then why not take a look at something different like these 'Star Wars' girl names or anime boy names?
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.