Failures, setbacks and tragedies are a painful part of life.
There will be times when you feel like life is kicking you when you are already down. By reading these understanding quotes, you can begin to pick yourself up again.
Whether you are able to find joy in your everyday life and gain success depends on your ability to push through the hardest adversity and not give up. If you are having a hard time, you need to find something that can lift you up and help you remember that life isn’t all that bad. For times like these, we have compiled a list of quotes about patience and understanding. When you read a quote about understanding others, it inspires you to be a better person and love others. By understanding, we mean to know what is important in life. These inspirational, powerful quotes about understanding life will help you understand that any fear, heartache, pain, or disappointment that you are facing is here for only a brief time and will eventually pass. In order to truly learn from these understanding each other quotes, you need to have compassion for yourself and others. For more inspiration and peaceful quotes and sayings, you can also check out you get what you give quotes and underdog quotes.
The list of understanding quotes we have curated for you includes understanding yourself quotes, quotes that lead us to an understanding, Marie Curie quotes, Albert Einstein quotes, inspirational quotes, quotes to ignore everything that irritates us, quotes to forget what irritates us about others and much more. For example, Carl Jung's famous quote, “everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves”, is a powerful example of a quote about understanding that teaches an important lesson. There is no one best quote of all time, as each quote has such a personal meaning to any one person, but perhaps you will find your best quote of all time in this list?
Quotes About Being Understood
We all have our bad days. When times get tough, it is helpful to look at mutual understanding quotes that might help us get through it. Here are a few patience and understanding quotes that are deep and meaningful and may offer comfort in times of sadness.
1. “Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.”
– Thich Nhat Hanh.
2. “Have great hopes and dare to go all out for them. Have great dreams and dare to live them. Have tremendous expectations and believe in them.”
– Norman Vincent Peale.
3. “Learn how to be happy with what you have while you pursue all that you want.”
– Jim Rohn.
4. “I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars.”
– Og Mandino.
5. “Never let your head hang down. Never give up and sit down and grieve. Find another way. And don’t pray when it rains if you don’t pray when the sun shines.”
– Leroy Satchel Paige.
6. “A problem is a chance for you to do your best.”
– Duke Ellington.
7.“We should always pray for help, but we should always listen for inspiration and impression to proceed in ways different from those we may have thought of.”
– John H. Groberg.
8.“Next to trying and winning, the best thing is trying and failing.”
– L.M. Montgomery.
9.“Just as despair can come to one only from other human beings, hope, too, can be given to one only by other human beings.”
– Elie Wiesel.
10. “It is only in our darkest hours that we may discover the true strength of the brilliant light within ourselves that can never, ever, be dimmed.”
– Doe Zantamata.
11. “Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice.”
– Wayne Dyer.
12. “Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning how to dance in the rain.”
– Vivian Greene.
13. “Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.”
– Joshua J. Marine.
14. “Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow'.”
- Mary Anne Radmacher.
15. “Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, smarter than you think and twice as beautiful as you’ve ever imagined.”
– Dr. Seuss.
16. “If you’re presenting yourself with confidence, you can pull off pretty much anything.”
– Katy Perry.
17. “We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”
– Frederick Keonig.
18. “The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually fear that you will make one.”
– Elbert Hubbard.
19. “Just think how happy you would be if you lost everything you have right now, and then got it back again.”
– Frances Rodman.
20. “You don’t have to control your thoughts; you just have to stop letting them control you.”
– Dan Millman.
21. “It’s your reaction to adversity, not adversity itself that determines how your life’s story will develop.”
— Dieter F. Uchtdorf.
22. “Resilience is very different than being numb. Resilience means you experience, you feel, you fail, you hurt. You fall. But, you keep going.”
— Yasmin Mogahed.
23. “It may sound strange, but many champions are made champions by setbacks.”
— Bob Richards.
24. “No matter how much falls on us, we keep plowing ahead. That’s the only way to keep the roads clear.”
— Greg Kincaid.
25. “Life is very interesting. In the end, some of your greatest pains become your greatest strengths.”
— Drew Barrymore.
26. “The difference between a strong man and a weak one is that the former does not give up after a defeat.”
— Woodrow Wilson.
27. “Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”
— Arnold Schwarzenegger.
28. “I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong… I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.”
— Audrey Hepburn.
29. “If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
— Winston Churchill.
30. “Strong people alone know how to organize their suffering so as to bear only the most necessary pain.”
— Emil Dorian.
31. “Knowing is not understanding. There is a great difference between knowing and understanding: you can know a lot about something and not really understand it.”
- Charles Kettering.
32. “No matter how bleak or menacing a situation may appear, it does not entirely own us. It can’t take away our freedom to respond, our power to take action.”
— Ryder Carroll.
33. “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.”
— Thomas Edison.
34. “There is meaning in every journey that is unknown to the traveler.”
— Dietrich Bonhoeffer.
35. “You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice.”
— Bob Marley.
36. “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
– J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘The Fellowship Of The Ring’.
37. “You cannot expect victory and plan for defeat.”
– Joel Osteen.
38. “Anyone can give up; it is the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone would expect you to fall apart, now that is true strength.”
— Chris Bradford.
39. “There are moments when troubles enter our lives and we can do nothing to avoid them. But they are there for a reason. Only when we have overcome them will we understand why they were there.”
– Paulo Coelho, ‘The Fifth Mountain’.
40. “Encourage yourself, believe in yourself, and love yourself. Never doubt who you are.”
– Stephanie Lahart, ‘Overcoming Life’s Obstacles: Enlighten-Encourage-Empower’.
Beautiful Understanding Quotes
In life, there are times when you just need to take a step back, breathe deep and remember that we can get through the hardships. When you face such a situation, a simple quote for understanding can help you know what's important. So, sit back and let these quotes about understanding others inspire you to get back up and running. With quotes from Marie Curie, Albert Einstein, Carl Jung and more, this list of quotes is sure to inspire you.
41. “One of the most important things you can do on this earth is to let people know they are not alone.”
– Shannon L. Alder.
42. “If you feel like giving up, give up on that feeling and give into the realization there are endless possibilities waiting to be discovered before you.”
– Tom Althouse.
43. “The noble-minded encourage what is beautiful in people and discourage what is ugly in them. Little people do just the opposite.”
– Confucius, ‘The Analects’.
44. "Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
— A.A. Milne.
45. "Tough times never last, but tough people do."
—Robert H. Schuller.
46. "To be tested is good. The challenged life may be the best therapist."
47. "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
48. "We must meet the challenge rather than wish it were not before us."
—William J. Brennan, Jr.
49. "You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it."
50. "Don't be discouraged. It's often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock."
51. “Hard times don't create heroes. It is during the hard times when the 'hero' within us is revealed.”
- Bob Riley.
52. “Every adversity, every failure, and every heartache, carries with it the seed of an equivalent or greater benefit.”
- Napoleon Hill.
53. “People need hard times and oppression to develop psychic muscles.”
- Emily Dickinson.
54. “The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.”
- Chinese Proverb.
55. “When things are bad, we take comfort in the thought that they could always get worse. And when they are, we find hope in the thought that things are so bad they have to get better.”
- Malcolm S. Forbes.
56. “When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.”
- Henry Ford.
57. “Hard times are sometimes blessings in disguise. We do have to suffer but in the end it makes us strong, better and wise.”
- Anurag Prakash Ray.
58. “In times of great stress or adversity, it's always best to keep busy, to plow your anger and your energy into something positive.”
- Lee Iacocca.
59. “One small crack does not mean you are broken, it means that you were put to the test and you didn't fall apart.”
- Linda Poindexter.
60. “It is only in our darkest hours that we may discover the true strength of the brilliant light within ourselves that can never, ever, be dimmed.”
- Doe Zantamata.
61. “Problems are not stop signs; they are guidelines.”
- Robert Schuller.
62. “When you come to the edge of all that you know, you must believe one of two things: There will be ground to stand. Or you will grow wings to fly.”
- O.R. Melling.
63. "The one law that does not change is that everything changes, and the hardship I was bearing today was only a breath away from the pleasures I would have tomorrow, and those pleasures would be all the richer because of the memories of this I was enduring."
- Louis L'Amour.
64. "Someday everything will make perfect sense. So, for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything happens for a reason."
65. "Things don't go wrong and break your heart so you can become bitter and give up. They happen to break you down and build you up so you can be all that you were intended to be."
- Samuel Johnson.
66. "When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn."
- Harriet Beecher Stowe.
67. "If you are feeling low or trampled, unappreciated or forgotten and you are reading this, realize it is an illusion. The hope is real, you are valued, and what lies ahead is brilliance."
- Tom Althouse.
68. "What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson.
69. "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
- Dale Carnegie
70. “Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor.”
― Truman Capote.
71. “The greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances.”
― Martha Washington.
72. "To understand the heart and mind of a person, look not at what he has already achieved, but at what he aspires to."
- Kahlil Gibran
73. “When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt.
74. “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
75. "Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."
- Marie Curie.
76. “Life’s challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they’re supposed to help you discover who you are.”
― Bernice Johnson Reagon.
77. “The pain you feel today is the strength you feel tomorrow. For every challenge encountered there is opportunity for growth.”
78. "Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly."
- Richard Bach
79. “In the middle of a difficulty lies opportunity.”
― Albert Einstein.
Inspiring Quotes About Understanding
Whether you are feeling overwhelmed, losing focus, or going through a difficult circumstance, it can be hard to navigate. At times like these, it is important to remember that you are strong and it is okay to ask for help. When you read these inspirational quotes or talk to someone who can understand your situation, you might know a little more about what to do next. Inspirational quotes are one way of dealing with tough times that are used by many people. Check out these quotes on understanding others that will help you deal with your afflictions. This list finishes with the most powerful quote about understanding from Carl Jung, “everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves”.
80. “New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings.”
– Lao Tzu.
81. “The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.”
82. “We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.”
– Kenji Miyazawa.
83. “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.”
– Kahlil Gibran.
84. “It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
85. “It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.”
– Charles Darwin.
86. “Loss makes artists of us all as we weave new patterns in the fabric of our lives.”
– Greta W. Crosby.
87. “Some of the greatest battles will be fought within the silent chambers of your own soul.”
– Ezra Taft Benson.
88. “The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.”
– Joseph Campbell.
89. “You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.”
– Walt Disney.
90. “Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.”
- Kahlil Gibran.
91. “The adventure of life is to learn. The purpose of life is to grow. The nature of life is to change.”
- William Arthur Ward.
92. “Maybe you are searching among the branches, for what only appears in the roots.”
93. “To dare is to lose one’s footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.”
- Søren Kierkegaard.
94. “The harder you fall, the heavier your heart; the heavier your heart, the stronger you climb; the stronger you climb, the higher your pedestal.”
- Criss Jami.
95. “Champions are made from something they have deep inside them – a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill, and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.”
- Muhammad Ali.
96. “No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell.”
- Carl Jung.
97. “Dreams have only one owner at a time. That’s why dreamers are lonely.”
- William Faulkner.
98. “The fears we don’t face become our limits.”
- Jim Kwik.
99. “Get it down. Take chances. It may be bad, but it’s the only way you can do anything good.”
- William Faulkner.
100. “There’s no such thing as a “bad experience,” only an experience that we fail to utilize.”
- Mark Manson.
101. “The task must be made difficult, for only the difficult inspires the noble-hearted.”
- Søren Kierkegaard.
102. “If there is one lesson I’ve learned from failure and success, it’s this. I am not the outcome. I am never the result. I am only the effort.”
- Kamal Ravikant.
103. “You’ll have bad times, but it’ll always wake you up to the good stuff you weren’t paying attention to.”
- Robin Williams.
104. “Tonight we cry, we despair, and we fear. Tomorrow we get back to work trying to build the world we want.”
- Sam Altman.
105. “Our ambition should not be to win but to play with our full effort. Our intention is not to be thanked or recognized, but to help and to do what we think is right. Our focus is not on what happens to us but on how we respond. In this, we will find contentment and resilience.”
- Ryan Holiday.
106. “Pros are just amateurs who know how to gracefully recover from their mistakes.”
- Kevin Kelly.
107. “Courage is what you earn when you’ve been through the tough times and you discover they aren’t so tough after all.”
- Malcolm Gladwell.
108. “Character is developed in the tough times, when we’re not getting our way but we keep doing the right thing.”
- Joel Osteen.
109. “Work. Keep digging your well. Water is there somewhere.”
110. “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
- Carl Gustav Jung.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you like our suggestions for inspirational quotes about understanding for days when you need a helping hand, then why not take a look at these “you got this” quotes or “you can do anything” quotes for more inspiring quotes about life?
*Do you know where this quote originated? Please email us to let us know at email@example.com.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.