What is the first thing that comes to your mind while thinking about unicorns?
Magic, beauty, enchantment, and hopefulness are just some of the few words you might be thinking. Children and adults alike, neither can deny the beautiful and magical fantasy associated with unicorns.
A unicorn is a mythological animal that resembles a horse with a horn on its forehead. It has been referred to in the ancient mythologies of both China and India, as well as those of other countries. One of the earliest descriptions of a unicorn is in the Greek literature by Ctesias, an historian from 400 BCE. The animal is described as being as big as a horse with a purple head, white body and blue eyes. On its forehead, there is a long horn with red color at the tip, white at the base and black in the middle. Over the years, there have been several stories about unicorns with a similar physical representation. Whilst technically there is no hard evidence proving that unicorns exist, we will let you make you own minds up after reading this interesting list of unicorn quotes!
Unicorns are creatures that make us believe in a beautiful and magical fantasy. Regardless of who you ask, everyone will have a fond memory of unicorns. They are a symbol of love, purity, gentleness, beauty and grace. Even after all the years, this mythical creature has continued to inspire art and writing. Unicorns are known all across the world, and everyone who knows them, loves them.
Through these cute unicorn quotes, you can share the magic and help to make your loved ones feel special. The list includes funny quotes about unicorns and short unicorn quotes, as well as fat unicorns quotes too! These unicorn phrases and unicorn one liners will get the attention they deserve. Here are 80+ unicorn quotes for the unique people in your life. For more inspiration, you can also check out these Unexpected quotes and 'Aladdin' genie quotes.
Cool Unicorn Quotes
There is something inherently magical about a unicorn. They not only exude beauty and grace but also strength and courage. That is why writers have spent a lot of time and attention creating the perfect unicorn friendship quotes to be shared far and wide. Here are a few magical quotes inspired by unicorns that can also be used as unicorn Instagram captions. Which of these unicorn quotes is your favorite?
1. “Life’s not easy for unicorns, you know. We’re a dying breed.”
– Meg Cabot.
2. “Be a unicorn in a field full of horses.”
3. “You may have stopped believing in unicorns, but they never stopped believing in you.”
4. “The unicorn is not known for its horn, beauty, or purity; but for its strength and courage as one.”
– Nicole Beckwith.
5. “A wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.”
– Tibetan proverb.
6. “The unicorns were the most recognizable magic the fairies possessed, and they sent them to those worlds where belief in the magic was in danger of falling altogether. After all, there has to be some belief in magic- however small- for any world to survive.”
- Terry Brooks, ‘The Black Unicorn’.
7. “Unicorns can’t fly. I can’t fly. Therefore I am a unicorn.”
8. “Now I will believe that there are unicorns.”
– William Shakespeare.
9. “I thought unicorns were more… fluffy.”
– Terry Pratchett.
10. “It’s not a unicorn – it’s a horse with a sword on its head that protects my hopes and dreams.”
– Tad Quill and Gabrielle Allan.
11. “I suppose I could understand it if men had simply forgotten unicorns, but not to see them at all, to look at them and see something else – what do they look to one another, then? What do trees look like to them, or houses, or real horses, or their own children?”
– Peter S. Beagle.
12. “This is the violet hour, the hour of hush and wonder, when the affections glow and valor is reborn, when the shadows deepen along the edge of the forest and we believe that, if we watch carefully, at any moment we may see the unicorn.”
– Bernard DeVoto.
13. “Wherever they may have come from, and wherever they may have gone, unicorns live inside the true believer’s heart. Which means as long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.”
– Bruce Coville.
14. “Do you know, I always thought unicorns were fabulous monsters, too? I never saw one alive before! 'Well, now that we have seen each other,’ said the unicorn, ‘if you’ll believe in me, I’ll believe in you'.”
– Lewis Carroll, 'Through The Looking Glass'.
15. “There’s something about girls and unicorns that’s deep and meaningful. Something about childhood.”
– Ted Naifeh.
16. “The unicorn, she said, was a marvelous beast, shining with honor, wisdom and strength. Just to see him strengthened the soul.”
– Megan Lindholm.
17. “Unicorns are immortal. It is their nature to live alone in one place: usually a forest where there is a pool clear enough for them to see themselves — for they are a little vain, knowing themselves to be the most beautiful.”
– Peter S. Beagle.
18. “What do men know? Because they have seen no unicorns for a while does not mean we have all vanished.”
– Peter S. Beagle.
19. “I would wanna be a mermaid, but I think I’m a little bit more of a unicorn, because I’m like a little bit more horsey.”
– Blake Lively.
20. “… no place is more enchanted than where a unicorn has been born.”
– Peter S. Beagle
21. “I would compete in unicorn back riding! Why? Because we are from the same fairytale.”
– Sasha Pivovarova.
22. “There is something about riding a unicorn, for those people who still can, which is unlike any other experience: exhilarating, and intoxicating, and fine.”
– Neil Gaiman.
23. “Always be yourself, unless you can be a unicorn. Then, always be a unicorn.”
24. “Make your life story so amazing that unicorns have trouble believing it is true.”
– Karen Salmansohn.
25. “Most people say, show, don’t tell, but I stand by show and tell, because when writers put their work out into the world, they’re like kids bringing their broken unicorns and chewed-up teddy bears into class in the sad hope that somebody else will love them as much as they do.”
– Colson Whitehead.
26. “Rhinos are just fat unicorns. If we’d give them the time and attention they deserve, as well as a diet: they’d reveal their majestic ways.”
27. “Sorry… I got distracted listening to you and hot glued myself to my unicorn.”
– Mira Grant.
28. “Poetry is news brought to the mountains by a unicorn and an echo.”
– Czesław Miłosz.
29. “Everything today has been heavy and brown. Bring me a unicorn to ride about the town.”
– Anne Morrow Lindbergh.
Literary Unicorn Quotes
Over the years, unicorns have been a part of several fiction stories. Here are a few quotes from literary works about unicorns. From detailed descriptions of the appearance of unicorns to the responses of characters who have seen a unicorn with their very own eyes, there are so many great unicorn quotes here! Some of these unicorn humor quotes can be used as a unicorn birthday sayings or unicorn captions too.
30. “It cannot be an ill fortune to have loved a unicorn.”
- Peter S. Beagle, ‘The Last Unicorn’.
31. “There’s unicorns all over everywhere, even Woodmont. You know that, I know that, maybe nobody else does. You look for them, you listen for the music, you listen for Shei’rah.”
– Peter S. Beagle, ‘The Unicorn Sonata’.
32. “‘Do you know, I always thought unicorns were fabulous monsters, too? I never saw one alive before!’
– Lewis Carroll, ‘Through the Looking Glass’.
33. “Unicorns don’t care if you believe in them any more than you care if they believe in you.”
– Regal Unicorn, ‘Magic The Gathering Card’.
34. “God himself must needs be traduced, if there is no unicorn in the world.”
– Edward Topsell.
35. “All the beasts obeyed Noah when he admitted them into the ark. All but the Unicorn. Confident of his own abilities, he boasted 'I shall swim'.”
– Ukrainian folktale.
36. “'Unicorns,' she whispered. Rahela nodded. The most beautiful of all the Mother’s children."
– Jennifer Roberson, ‘The Court Of The Summer King’.
37. “…I can o’ersway him; for he loves to hear that unicorns may be betray’d with trees, and bears with glasses, elephants with holes, lions with toils and men with flatterers.”
– William Shakespeare, ‘Julius Caesar’.
38. “You try reading fantasy books all your life - have a unicorn walk by your bus bench on a hot day, with everything you’ve ever wanted tied up in a neat bundle- and see if you wouldn’t do almost anything to have it.”
– Steven R. Boyett, ‘Ariel’.
39. “There was no violence, no speed. It moved to the rhythm of an elder dance, putting all the rituals of the world to shame. Black, silver, gold and moon-opal, night and sea, fire, earth, air and water."
– Tanith Lee, ‘Black Unicorn’.
40. “When God created the earth, He made a river which flowed from the Garden of Eden… then told Adam to name the animals… and the first animal he named was the unicorn. When the Lord heard the name Adam had spoken, he reached down and touched the tip of the single horn growing from the animal’s forehead. From that moment on, the unicorn was elevated above other beasts.”
- Nancy Hathaway.
41. “Today it is said that the unicorn never existed. However, it is marvelously clear that when the unicorn was first described and centuries later when the tapestries were woven, everyone believed in unicorns.”
– Marianna Mayer, ‘The Unicorn And The Lake’.
42. “Real magic can never be made by offering someone else’s liver. You must tear out your own, and not expect to get it back.”
- Peter S. Beagle, ‘The Last Unicorn’.
Beautiful Unicorn Quotes
Who doesn’t love a unicorn? Not only are these creatures popular in the fantasy world, but sayings about unicorns have found a special place among readers too. You can use these magical unicorn quotes as unicorn birthday quotes and make your loved ones feel special by sharing them. Some of these are also funny unicorn sayings that are bound to take your fancy. Here are some special unicorn quotes for your unique friend who has never stopped believing in magic.
43. “Of all the legendary animals of art, folklore and literature, the unicorn is the one with the greatest hold on our imaginations. Other fabulous beasts are clearly inventions, existing only in a mythical landscape of our own collective creation, but the unicorn strikes us as more than imaginary. It seems possible, even probable – a creature so likely that it ought to exist.”
– Nancy Hathaway.
44. "Stand out, be kind and most importantly, unafraid to be yourself. Hey, isn’t a unicorn all of those things? That’s right, you’ll become one too, but remember – good things come to those who wait, so don’t be afraid to take a lazy day with that tub of ice cream. "
45. “Alice found herself a unicorn to have her back, and so will you!”
46. “The last unicorn wasn’t really the last. And maybe she still isn’t.”
- Laura Alden.
47. “Unicorns don’t lose sleep over the opinions of little ponies.”
48. “A unicorn is just a horse with a point of view.”
– Ron Sexsmith.
49. "It’s greener on the other side, but it’s rainbows and gold on mine."
– Kailin Gow.
50. “Even science is bound in magic and imagination. What we can do now, soar the skies and even space, would have seemed like magic to people long ago. Those who spurned such ideas never made it anywhere, but people who believed moved us forward.”
51. “Be realistic with your expectations. I’d really like to cuddle a unicorn, but it ain’t going to happen.”
– India Knight.
52. “Hey, I like unicorns. Unicorns are just weaponized ponies.”
– Damon Suede.
53. “It’s like learning to ride a unicorn. You never forget.”
– Eoin Colfer.
54. “… my conscience has the same hard reality as a unicorn.”
– Jeff Lindsay.
55. "A legend – now I am like a unicorn."
- Jean Giraud.
56. “Never pretend to be a unicorn by sticking a plunger on your head.”
– Martin Espada.
57. “Sleep is like the unicorn – it is rumored to exist, but I doubt I will see any.”
– Dr. Seuss.
58. “Everyone says social media is a unicorn, but maybe it’s just a horse?”
– Jay Baer.
59. “Don’t you love it that Prince doesn’t use Twitter? Don’t you think he’s somewhere on a unicorn?”
– Bruno Mars.
60. “If I’m talking to a guy who’s straight and cute and single, I’m like ‘are you a unicorn?’”
– Margaret Cho.
61. “So you’re a real person! I always thought you were a legendary figure, like unicorns or Giuseppe Verdi.”
- Lemony Snicket.
62. “I found the hum of his computer rather soothing, but it was the complete lack of unicorn carcasses that really pulled the room together.”
- Diana Peterfreund.
63. “I’ve never seen a unicorn couple. He — it has to be a he, right? — is always alone, sharp horn thrust toward the sky. Maybe we should adopt him as the symbol of men without women, of the loneliness we carry as our burden, or perhaps we should sew unicorn badges on our breast pockets and hats, and quietly parade down streets all over the world.”
- Haruki Murakami.
64. “Let us only hate hatred; and once give love a play, we will fall in love with a unicorn.”
- Herman Melville.
65. “Sometimes we all need a unicorn to believe in. Sometimes we need a unicorn to believe in us.”
- Claudia Bakker.
66. “That is exactly what heroes are for. Wizards make no difference, so they say that nothing does, but heroes are meant to die for unicorns.”
- Peter S. Beagle.
67. “The unicorn was white, with hoofs of silver and graceful horn of pearl… the glorious thing about him was his eye. There was a faint bluish furrow down each side of his nose, and this led to the eye sockets, and surrounded them in a pensive shade. The eyes, circled by this sad and beautiful darkness, were so sorrowful, lonely, gentle and nobly tragic, that they killed all other emotions except love.”
- T. H. White.
68. "Let us only hate hatred; and once give love a play, we will fall in love with a unicorn."
- Herman Melville.
69. “I might act like a rhinoceros, but I’m a unicorn.”
- Nuno Roque.
70. "Why a unicorn? Maybe the unicorn, too, is one of the men without women."
- Haruki Murakami.
71. “Be a diamond-studded unicorn; unbreakable & unique.”
72. "We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
- Peter S. Beagle, 'The Last Unicorn Enchantment'.
73. “I’m actually quite obsessed with unicorns. They are in essence a mythical creature. The unicorn is born magical and it’s not the unicorn’s fault and it doesn’t make it any more or less special or any less unique but it can’t help that it was born with that magic.”
- Lady Gaga.
74. “Heroes know that things must happen when it is time for them to happen. A quest may not simply be abandoned; unicorns may go unrescued for a long time, but not forever; a happy ending cannot come in the middle of the story.”
- Peter S. Beagle.
75. “I think that if you have a horse, pegasus, qilin, or unicorn, you should sit on it! You should stroke its hair, whisper in its ear, be one with it! And you shouldn’t feel sorry if other people don’t have one.”
- C. JoyBell C.
76. “He knew what she wanted, and he wanted it, too; he was ready, but not, despite her gorgeousness, with tiglah. Tiglah was not worth losing his ability to touch a unicorn.”
- Madeleine L’Engle.
77. “Unicorns practically breathed magic. He was to a horse what a horse was to a pig, four tiny cloven hooves shone like burnished silver, slender legs as graceful as an antelope’s led to a slender body, a delicate neck with an arch like the stem of a lily-blossom and a head like the blossom itself, crowned with that glorious pearly horn. And the eyes- big golden-brown eyes you could fall into and never come out of.”
- Mercedes Lackey.
78. “The bottom line is, if you were a jerk in your original life, you’re probably going to be a bigger undead jerk, if you were a decent person, say a juvenile-services librarian with a secret collection of unicorn figurines, you’re probably going to be a kinder, gentler vampire.”
- Molly Harper.
79. “Toads are to dragons what carrots are to unicorns.”
- Ness Kingsley.
80. “The question of historicity and actuality with regard to Gods and unicorns is a relatively trifling matter which may be left to antiquarians and biologists, for both the God and the unicorn had a business to perform greater than any mere existence in the flesh could explain or provide a basis for.”
– Odell Shepard.
81. “A friend told me I’m delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.”
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly be happy life quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for unicorn quotes for the unique people in your life and are looking for more cool quotes to share with friends and family, then why not take a look at these awesome and unique quotes or universe quotes for more?
*Do you know where this quote originated? Please email us to let us know at [email protected]
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.