About Freddy Adu
Freddy Adu's zodiac sign is Gemini, and he was born on June 2, 1989.
Freddy Adu's birth name is 'Fredua Koranteng Adu'. He was born in Tema, a port city in Ghana.
Freddy Adu has a brother, and his name is Fro Adu, who is also a soccer player. His father's name is Maxwell Adu, and his mother's name is Emelia Adu. Freddy's mother and father used to run a local convenience store in Ghana.
Freddy Adu Net Worth, Earnings & Spending Habits
What is Freddy Adu's net worth?
Freddy Adu has a net worth of $1.2 million.
How much does Freddy Adu earn per year?
Freddy Adu earns about $400,000 per year.
Height, Age & Physical Attributes
How tall is Freddy Adu?
Freddy Adu is 5ft 8in (173cm) tall.
How old is Freddy Adu?
Freddy Adu is 33 years old as of 2022.
Childhood And Education
Freddy Adu spent his childhood in Ghana playing soccer with men three times his age. Freddy and his family moved to Rockville, Maryland, in the United States, in 1997 when he was eight years old as his mother won a Diversity Immigrant Visa lottery green card. He completed his schooling at Sequoyah Elementary School. In 2003, after becoming a U.S. citizen, he met a soccer coach and attended The Heights School, Potomac, Maryland, while playing soccer and managing his education.
Family, Romance, And Relationships
Who is Freddy Adu's partner?
Freddy Adu is married to Shadia Simmons, a Canadian actress, in 2008.
Career And Professional Highlights
Best Known For…
Freddy Adu is best known as the youngest player to be selected for the MLS SuperDraft team. He appeared in a Major League Soccer (MLS) game as a substitute for the San Jose Earthquakes on April 17, where he scored a goal in a 3-2 victory against the MetroStars. He made his way to the United States National team in 2006, and he won 17 caps while he was playing for the team. He also played soccer with the US squads in the FIFA Confederations Cup and CONCACAF Gold Cups in 2009 and 2011. Adu was a part of five international youth tournaments. i.e., FIFA U-17 World Championship, the 2003 FIFA World Youth Championship, the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship, the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup, and the 2008 Summer Olympics. Freddy Adu scored a goal in the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifier.
What awards does Freddy Adu win?
Freddy Adu scored about 31 goals while playing with the clubs and two goals while playing for the national team. He was a member of the runner-up team in the FIFA Confederations Cup, 2009, and FIFA Confederations Cup, 2009, and 2011. He was also nominated for the FIFPRO Young Player Award in 2005.
Other Interesting Freddy Adu Facts And Trivia
- Freddy Adu was the next 'Pele' before joining the D.C. United team. But he didn't live up to the expectations. He became a journeyman. i.e., a soccer player who plays for a club.
- Freddy Adu played for nine countries and fifteen teams. i.e., Brazil, Sweden, the United States, Portugal, Turkey, Finland, Greece, Monaco, and Serbia.
- In 2006, when Freddy Adu made his debut with the United States team, he replaced Eddie Johnson in the 81st minute of the game in Torero Stadium in San Diego, California.
- Freddy Adu also was a part of Tampa Bay Rowdies in the USL Championship and a French club AS Monaco player in 2008.
- In the first year, when he won the MLS Cup, he played for the Real Salt Lake club.
- Freddy Adu also had a few unsuccessful trials around Europe, where he sang with the Serbian club player FK Jagodina in 2014.
- In 2007, he played for Real Salt Lake and scored the second goal on a penalty kick against Boca Juniors.
- Freddy Adu started his career as a soccer player by becoming a starting midfielder when he showcased some good defensive skills.
- Freddy Adu was known to be the youngest player in America who signed a professional contract with a major league in any team sport.
- During his trial with Manchester United, Freddy Adu did not have his work permit. So, he couldn't play any competitive games until he received one.
- Emelia Adu stated once that she shifted to the United States to provide her children with a better education.
- Freddy's father abandoned his family after they shifted to the United States. His mother took up two jobs and worked seventy hours a week to care for Freddy and his brother.
- When Freddy was in fourth grade, he played in a well-organized Potomac Soccer Association event as he was invited by one of his friends.
- When he played in a tournament for the Potomac Soccer Association, he was noticed by Arnold Tarzy, a financial consultant and a coach for the Cougars. They were a part of the Potomac soccer team.
- Freddy Adu's first coach was Arnold Tarzy. Freddy was an exceptional student and an artist while he was at Sequoyah Elementary School. He also received a full scholarship to attend the Heights.
- In a US Olympic Development Program, Freddy played a tournament as a soccer player, and he was known to be the most valuable player (MVP) as he was a high scorer among his teammates.
- The soccer player is also a part of endorsements like Nike and Adidas. Before joining the United States team, he was known to be 'the boy with the magic feet.'
- Freddy Adu played against South Africa in his first senior international team tournament. Previously, he was also recruited by the Ghananian National team as he was open, but later, he denied the offer.
- Freddy stated in an interview that he did not miss playing soccer, even for a day. He played it every day.
- Freddy was 14 years old when he played pro.
Editorial credit: s_bukley / Shutterstock.com