About Gemma Jones
Jennifer Gemma Jones more popularly known as Gemma Jones is a British film actress known for her film appearances and stage performances.
Her most popular releases include the period drama movie 'Sense And Sensibility' (1995), the 'Bridget Jones' film series (2001-2016), the 'Harry Potter' film series (2002-2011), comedy drama film 'You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger' (2010), and then the most recent one which is a romantic drama movie 'Ammonite' (2020). She played the role in the BBC television film, 'Marvellous', which was released in 2014.
This talented actress has even won the BAFTA TV Award for Best Supporting Actress in the year 2015. She has played some significant roles on the silver screen of the television. Some of those notable television works of Gemma Jones are mentioned following - 'Rainbow City', which got released in the year 1967, 'The Duchess Of Duke Street', which started airing from 1976-1977, 'Trial And Retribution', which had its run of five extensive years from 2003- 2008, 'Spooks' which aired for a short while of just a year from 2007-2008, 'Teacup Travels' which ran on the television from the year 2015-2017, 'Diana and I' that was aired for the first time of television in the year 2017, and finally 'Gentleman Jack' in the year 2019.
Gemma Jones started her career in the year 1962 and has continued to act ever since. She is still active in the English television and film industry as of 2022. Gemma's mother was Irene Jones and her father was Griffith Jones.
Gemma Jones Net Worth, Earnings & Spending Habits
What is Gemma Jones’ net worth?
After acting in famous movies and movie franchises like the 'Bridget Jones' film series and the 'Harry Potter' film series, Gemma Jones originally Jennifer Jones has been able to secure a net worth that ranges from $1.5 million-$10 million.
How much does Gemma Jones earn per year?
Details in the annual income of Gemma Jones are unknown.
Height, Age & Physical Attributes
How tall is Gemma Jones?
Gemma Jones stands tall at 5 ft 6 in (168 cm).
How old is Gemma Jones?
Currently, as of 2022, Gemma Jones or Jennifer Jones is 79 years old according to her birthday, which is on December 4, 1942.
Childhood And Education
Jennifer Gemma Jones was born and brought up in Marylebone in London on December 4, 1942. She is a British woman by nationality. Her mother and father are named Irene Jones and Griffith Jones, respectively. Gemma Jones has a younger brother named Nicholas Jones. He is also into the acting scene, just like his sister.
As for her educational background and schooling, it is not known where she went to high school, as she never mentioned it, and there are no records of it as well. But Gemma Jones did attend the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in 1962, even winning a gold medal during her years there.
Family, Romance And Relationships
Who is Gemma Jones dating?
There was a time when Gemma Jones was dating Sebastian Graham-Jones. However, they never got married and split up. Gemma Jones, though, has a son named Luke G. Jones.
Career And Professional Highlights
Best Known For…
Gemma Jones is best known for her role as Poppy Pomfrey in the 'Harry Potter' movies.
Gemma Jones made her first appearance as Anya in the play 'The Cherry Orchard' at Nottingham Playhouse in 1965. Later, in 1986, Gemma Jones was seen playing the role of the Soprano Giuseppina Strepponi in the musical play 'After Aida'. It was played at the Old Vic Theatre. Gemma Jones' role as Queen Elizabeth One in 'Kenilworth', which was released in the year 1967, as well as playing a major role in the dramatization of 'The Spoils Of Poynton', three years later in 1970, 'Fall of Eagles' in the BBC tv drama series led to Gemma Jones popularity in the television world as well.
Gemma Jones achieved her first fame outburst in the middle of the '70s when she played the role of Empress Frederick in the television drama series 'Fall Of Eagles' and Louisa Trotter in 'The Duchess Of Duke Street', both were BBC tv drama series. Gemma Jones was also seen playing the role of Portia in Shakespeare's ' The Merchant Of Venice' in 1980. She played the role opposite Warren Mitchell, who played the character Shylock.
Gemma Jones is famous for her role of Poppy Pomfrey, which she played in the 'Harry Potter' movies like 'Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets' which was released in 2002; reprising her role in 'Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince' was released in 2009, and 'Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows - Part 2', which is the last installation till date got released in the year 2011. Gemma Jones also played the role of Connie James in 'Spooks' from the year 2007- 2008.
What awards has Gemma Jones won?
Gemma Jones has won many awards in her career. She won the 2015 BAFTA TV Award for Best Supporting Actress for ‘Marvellous’(2014). She received the British Academy Television Award for Best Supporting Actress for ‘Marvellous’ in 2014.
Other Interesting Gemma Jones Facts And Trivia
- Gemma Jones made an appearance in the BBC drama 'Merlin' in 2011.
- Her notable roles include Mrs. Pamela ('Bridget Jones's Baby'), Mary Jones ('On The Black Hill'), Lizzie Fisher ('Forget Me Not'), and Lady Queensbury ('Wilde'), and several others.
- Gemma Jones spent her early life with her parents, Griffith Jones and Irene Isaac in London, England.
- Some of her notable roles on television include Aunt Lister in ‘The Secret Diaries Of Miss Anne Lister’, Alice Parkin in ‘Whistle And I'll Come To You’, Sara Glynn in ‘Wycliffe And The Cycle Of Death’, Alice Mair in ‘Devices And Desires – Adam Dalgliesh’, Miss Prism in ‘The Importance Of Being Earnest’, Louisa Trotter in ‘The Duchess Of Duke Street’, Victoire / Lucille Desmoulins in ‘Theatre 625’, and Rose Flood-Porter in ‘The Lady Vanishes’.
- Her notable roles in movies include Madam Poppy Pomfrey in ‘Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince’, Helena in ‘You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger’, Bridget's Mum, Pamela Jones in ‘Bridget Jones: The Edge Of Reason’, Madam Poppy Pomfrey in ‘Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets’, Mrs. Dashwood in ‘Sense And Sensibility’, Thelma in ‘The Egg And The Thieving Pie’, and Madam Poppy Pomfrey in ‘Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows – Part 2’.
- Gemma Jones has been one of the most popular TV and movie actresses in the United Kingdom. She has attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art where she graduated with a gold medal and has been working in the entertainment industry since 1962.
- Gemma Jones gained early success with her appearance as Anya at Nottingham Playhouse for the play ‘The Cherry Orchard’. Thereafter she featured in several other plays and gained popularity with fans from across the country.
- While she started working on television in 1962, she rose to fame with the release of the series ‘Kenilworth’ where she featured as Queen Elizabeth One, and then later in the ‘The Spoils Of Poynton’.
- Her fame transcended the boundaries of the UK entertainment industry in the '70s with her work on the BBC series ‘Fall Of Eagles’. It was a period drama where she portrayed the role of Empress Frederick.
- Another noteworthy appearance that helped her garner the attention of the international audience was that of Louisa trotter for ‘The Duchess Of Duke Street’. She also got the chance of appearing in ‘The Merchant Of Venice’.
- Her father was a popular film, television, and stage actor and her mother was a homemaker.
Main image credit: Featureflash Photo Agency /Shutterstock