About Ian Hunter
Ian Hunter is a complete package: a singer, a songwriter, a musician.
Hunter is best remembered as the lead singer of the popular English rock band Mott the Hoople. He has been a member of several other music groups before Mott The Hoople.
Hunter entered the world of music after his encounter with Colin Broom and Colin York at a holiday camp. The trio bagged the winner’s title at a talent competition where they performed the song ‘Blue Moon’ on their acoustic guitars. Broom and York were part of ‘The Apex Group’, a Northampton-based band. Hunter soon joined the band on rhythm guitar. However, in 1958, Hunter left the band. In 1966, Hunter left for London and joined ‘The Scenery.’ Throughout the '60s era, Hunter played with multiple other performers, such as David McWilliams, The Young Idea, and even Billy Fury. The year 1968 saw Mickie Most hiring Ian Hunter and his The Scenery bandmate Dave Dufort for ‘The New Yardbirds’.
In 1969, Mott the Hoople did achieve good success and had a very devoted fan base.
Hunter has continued his career as a solo artist and plays at different stages despite his ill health.
Ian Hunter Net Worth, Earnings & Spending Habits
What is Ian Hunter’s net worth?
Ian Hunter's net worth is estimated to be around $2 million.
How much does Ian Hunter earn per year?
The exact amount of Ian Hunter's annual earnings is not known.
Height, Age & Physical Attributes
How tall is Ian Hunter?
Ian Hunter is about 6 ft (183 cm) tall.
How old is Ian Hunter?
The English musician was born on June 3, 1939, in the market town of Oswestry, England. He celebrates his 83rd birthday in 2022.
Childhood And Education
Ian Hunter was born on June 3, 1939, to Walter Patterson and Freda Patterson in the market town of Oswestry, England. Due to the outbreak of the war, the family relocated to Hamilton, South Lanarkshire, to live with his Scottish father's relatives. Hunter was raised there until he was six years old, and he has indicated that he considers himself a Scot, as well as English and British. Not much is known about Ian Hunter's education.
Family, Romance, And Relationships
Who is Ian Hunter’s partner?
He briefly dated Diane Coles after exiting The Apex Group. The singer-songwriter had a child in 1962 with her.
He then married Trudi Hunter a few years later.
Career And Professional Highlights
Best Known For…
Hunter’s most famous single was penned by David Bowie, ‘All The Young Dudes’, which secured the third position on the charts of the United Kingdom.
Some of Ian Hunter’s best songs are 'England Rocks' and 'Once Bitten, Twice Shy'.
He joined for tours with 'Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band' in the early 2000s.
What awards has Ian Hunter won?
Ian Hunter secured the Classic Songwriter award from the Classic Rock magazine in 2005. Mott The Hopple has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame seven times.
Other Interesting Ian Hunter Facts And Trivia
- Apart from his musical career, the rock band musician was a reporter for a local newspaper and even carried out road-digging duties for a local council.
- Ian Hunter also worked as a staff songwriter as well as a journalist for ‘Francis, Day & Hunter Ltd.’.
- He has also collaborated with Mick Ronson, who worked as an arranger and a sideman for David Bowie from the times of ‘The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars’.
- Hunter’s song ‘England Rocks’ was later changed to ‘Cleveland Rocks’. This song was then covered by the American alternative rock band ‘The Presidents of the United States of America’ and soon became a theme song used in the popular American TV show, ‘The Drew Carey Show’.
- Hunter is always seen wearing sunglasses on stage as he cannot adjust well to the lights on stage.
- 'Once Bitten, Twice Shy' was the first single from his solo album, 'Ian Hunter'.
We would love your help! If you have a photo of Ian Hunter, either of them alone or a selfie that you would be happy to share, please send it to [email protected].
If you have knowledge or information that you think would help us improve this article, please contact us.