About John Banner
John Banner, or as he is also recognized, Johann Banner, was born on January 28, 1910, in Stanislau, Austria-Hungary.
The Austria-born TV actor was part of several films and TV series but is best remembered for his part in the TV series titled 'Hogan's Heroes', which aired from 1965-1971. John Banner portrayed the role of Sergeant Schultz, who gained recognition for his dialogue 'I know nothing! I see nothing! I hear nothing!'.
John Banner made a number of big-screen appearances as well. The Austria-born actor famously featured in movies like 'Once upon a Honeymoon', 'Seven Miles from Alcatraz', 'The Story of Ruth', and several others. One of the other films which helped John Banner make a name for himself in the industry was 'The Juggler' where John Banner depicted the life of a holocaust survivor. John Banner was born in Austria but held American citizenship as he emigrated to the United States in 1938 and eventually learned the English language as well. Before entering the movies, John Banner served in the United States Army Air Corps during World War II from 1942-1945. John Banner passed away on the day of his 63rd birthday on January 28, 1973, in Vienna, Austria. He was in Vienna to visit his friends but died due to an abdominal hemorrhage. Scroll down to know more about the life and career of John Banner.
John Banner Net Worth, Earnings & Spending Habits
What was John Banner’s net worth?
John Banner was believed to have a net worth of around $3 million.
How much did John Banner earn per year?
The annual income of John Banner was unknown and was believed to largely depend on his acting roles.
Height, Age & Physical Attributes
How tall was John Banner?
John Banner stood tall at 6 ft 1 in (185.42 cm).
How old was John Banner?
John Banner took birth on January 28, 1910, and passed away on January 28, 1973, at the age of 63 in Vienna, Austria, due to an abdominal hemorrhage.
Childhood And Education
John Banner was born in a Jewish family in Stanislau, Austria-Hungary, which is now a part of Ivano-Frankvisk in Ukraine. Growing up, John Banner wanted to become a lawyer and thus earned a law degree from the University of Vienna but eventually went on to become an actor. John Banner emigrated to the United States at a young age after Hitler annexed the entirety of Austria to Nazi Germany.
Family, Romance And Relationships
Who was John Banner’s partner?
John Banner first married the actress 'Illa Raudnitz' in 1940, but the couple soon parted ways following an official divorce procedure. John Banner then married 'Renee Christine Gemenne Muhr' in 1965. The couple lived together until the death of John Banner in January 1973 in Vienna, Austria.
Career And Professional Highlights
Best Known For…
John Banner is a legend of American cinema, having starred in numerous television and big-screen projects. The Austria-born actor earned most of his fame from his role as Sergeant Schultz in the American sitcom 'Hogan's Heroes'. He was a part of 168 episodes during his time on Hogan's Heroes from 1965 - 1971. John Banner is also very well known for his role as A. Tobler in the 1960 television series 'Perry Mason'. Some of the other renowned roles of John Banner on television include Dr. Molhaus in 'Alcoa Presents: One Step Beyond', Baron Carlisle in 'The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin', Russian Chairman in 'Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea', Uncle Latzi in 'The Chicago Teddy Bears', and various others. When it comes to movies, John Banner made his debut in 1940 when he starred in the movie titled 'Spring Parade'. Some of the movies which earned John Banner fame include the likes 'Crash of the Moons', 'The Beast of Budapest', 'The Juggler', 'Operation Eichmann', 'The Yellow Canary', '36 Hours', 'The Wonderful Country', 'Never Say Goodbye', and many others.
Other Interesting John Banner Facts And Trivia
- John Banner was a part of the United States Army Air Forces in 1942 and underwent training in Atlantic City. He was a part of World War II and notably posed for a recruitment poster before he began serving as a supply sergeant.
- John Banner also featured on Broadway on three occasions where he was a part of 'From Vienna'.
- During the mid-1950s, John Banner had bagged a regular role portraying the role of 'Bavarro' in the TV series titled 'Rocky Jones, Space Ranger'.
- In 1964, John Banner starred in the movie '36 Hours', which earned him great recognition as he played the role of a WWII German 'home guard' soldier. John Banner shared the stage with the American actor James Garner for his role in the 1964 film '36 Hours'.
- John Banner retired from acting on March 17, 1972, after he featured on an episode of 'The Patridge Family'. John Banner, along with his wife Renee Christine Gemenne Muhr, then shifted to France.
- There were many films in which John Banner played a significant role but was uncredited; these include 'They Came to Blow Up America' and 'Chetniks! The Fighting Guerrillas', 'The Beginning or the End', 'King Solomon's Mines', 'Tonight We Raid Calais', 'Desperate Jounrey', 'Accent on Love', 'The Moon Is Down', and more.
- John Banner was a part of various television shows but only for a single episode, such as 'Schlitz Playhouse of Stars', 'Sheena, Queen of the Jungle', 'The Adventures of Hiram Holliday', and various others.
We would love your help! If you have a photo of John Banner, either of them alone or a selfie that you would be happy to share, please send it to [email protected].
If you have knowledge or information that you think would help us improve this article, please contact us.