Creator of iconic children's books like Zog and The Gruffalo, award-winning storyteller Julia Donaldson is spreading joy during lockdown with hilarious reenactments, original songs and more in a new ten-minute storytelling broadcast.
Have you been looking for engaging online storytelling sessions? Do your children love Julia Donaldson stories? From The Gruffalo to Room on the Broom and Zog, there's no doubt you've enjoyed at least one of her wonderful children's picture books. Every Thursday Julia is doing a live video broadcast on The Gruffalo's official Facebook page. It's ten minutes of storytelling, singing and so much fun. Typically she or a guest will read one of her books aloud, but sometimes she joins forces with her husband Malcolm and they turn the story into a song. Often, Axel Scheffler lends his drawing talents to show the audience how to draw the famous characters, and other times, other famous children's authors come along to read for you. It's not live but it is uploaded at the same time every week, so you can make friends in the comments as you watch!
What you’ll need
- A strong WiFi connection.
- A love of everything Julia Donaldson!
What you’ll do
- The sessions are uploaded at 4pm every Thursday.
- The structure is slightly different each week, but you can usually expect a short storytelling segment (often acted out), an illustration section, a brilliant song, a guest appearance and footage pulled from the archives.
- It's not an interactive class, so all you need to do is get cosy and enjoy ten minutes of jam-packed fun.
- If you can't get enough of live storytelling, Sally's Super Sessions and Mondays With Michelle Obama are a great way to continue exploring the magical world of books.