Recent searches (0)
Madness is often also described as craziness.
Being mad does not just mean being angry. In other words, madness also means that you are trying to stay sane by being a little insane.
When someone is not acting or following the normal societal norms, they are often regarded as crazy. When a person acts somewhat crazy, we often call them mad. Some would argue that we are all a bit mad really, such as Voltaire, who said "Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable." This is just one of many insightful madness quotes out there! So let's explore these madness quotes.
We have collected various madness quotes (including more Voltaire quotes and other insightful madness quotes) for you to read. As you read these madness quotes, including beauty behind the madness quotes perfect for men or women, you might see the world from a different perspective. If you liked reading these madness quotes, you can also check out these ancient quotes and wild quotes for more inspiring quotes said by inspiring people.
Ready to discover some madness quotes? In this section, we have found some amazing quotes. You might find Shakespeare madness quotes, madness and stupidity quotes, and more madness quotes from a different time.
1. "It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane."
- Philip K. Dick, 'Valis'.
2. "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness."
- Friedrich Nietzsche.
3. "A child is a curly dimpled lunatic."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson.
4. "Madness is to think of too many things in succession too fast, or of one thing too exclusively."
5. "The creative person is both more primitive and more cultivated, more destructive, a lot madder and a lot saner, than the average person."
- Frank Barron.
6. "Creativity and psychosis often go hand in hand. Or, for that matter, genius and madness."
- Miss Jean Blake, 'The Queen's Gambit'.
7. "That's how the madness of the world tries to colonize you: from the outside in, forcing you to live in its reality."
- Jeff VanderMeer.
8. "Better mad with the rest of the world than wise alone."
- Baltasar Gracian.
9. "The road to madness is madness."
- Lewis Black.
10. "Money is our madness, our vast collective madness."
- D. H. Lawrence.
11. "No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness."
12. "I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane."
- Waylon Jennings.
13. "San Francisco is a mad city - inhabited for the most part by perfectly insane people whose women are of remarkable beauty."
- Rudyard Kipling.
14. "Love is a state of temporary psychosis."
- Sigmund Freud.
15. "We all know your idea is crazy. The question is whether it is crazy enough."
- Niels Bohr.
16. "How do we get ahead of crazy if we don't know how crazy thinks?"
- Holden Ford, 'Mindhunter'.
17. "I have found both freedom and safety in my madness; the freedom of loneliness and the safety from being understood, for those who understand us enslave something in us."
- Kahlil Gibran, 'The Prophet'.
18. "The great proof of madness is the disproportion of one's designs to one's means."
- Napoleon Bonaparte.
19. "Anger is a brief madness."
20. "When authority is total, so too is the madness of the man who declares it, and the potential for abuse of power."
- Rick Wilson.
21. "Sanity is a madness put to good uses."
- George Santayana, 'The Essential Santayana: Selected Writings'.
22. "Though this be madness, yet there is method in't."
- William Shakespeare, 'Hamlet'.
23. "Everyone got kind of crazy with me mentioning I was in love with a woman."
- Angelina Jolie.
24. "The modern society is fundamentally insane."
- Cornelius Castoriadis.
25. "The truly creative person is one who can think crazy."
- Frank Goble.
Here, you will find insanity quotes that describe how crazy the world is and that it's better to be crazy than to be normal and boring.
26. "Being paranoid doesn't mean we're not being followed."
- Major Grigori Borzov, 'Telefon'.
27. "First sign of madness, talking to your own head."
- J.K Rowling, 'Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix'.
28. "I think insanity is the hardest thing to play."
- Richard Armitage.
29. "So long as man is protected by madness, he functions and flourishes."
- Emil Cioran.
30. "In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom."
- J. G. Ballard.
31. "In a mad world, only the mad are sane."
- Akira Kurosawa.
32. "Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness."
33. "I am trying to think of the last time that I just said, 'What the hell!' and did something crazy."
- Jennifer Aniston.
34. "If he was indeed mad, his delusions were beautifully organized."
- Arthur Clarke.
35. "What garlic is to salad, insanity is to art."
- Augustus Saint-Gaudens.
36. "For some of us the madness never ends."
- Paxton, 'Locked Down'.
37. "Life is very much more exciting now than it used to be. You see I have something more to expect, to look forward to, to watch. I really do eat better, and am more quiet than I was."
- Charlotte Perkins Gilman, 'The Yellow Wallpaper'.
38. "Craziness is what makes the world round, without crazy, there wouldn't be passion."
- Wes Campton.
39. "Humans, as a rule, don't like mad people unless they are good at painting, and only then once they are dead."
- Matt Haig.
40. "It is madness for sheep to talk peace with a wolf."
- Thomas Fuller.
41. "I had noticed that both in the very poor and very rich extremes of society the mad were often allowed to mingle freely."
- Charles Bukowski, 'Ham On Rye'.
42. "Stay mad, but behave like normal people. Run the risk of being different, but learn to do so without attracting attention."
- Paulo Coelho.
43. "Humor is reason gone mad."
- Groucho Marx.
In this section, we have collected love and madness quotes that will make you realize that a little madness is needed in the world. These quotes about what madness looks like are very interesting.
44. "If there is a supreme being, he's crazy."
- Marlene Dietrich.
45. "The 'silly question' is the first intimation of some totally new development."
- Alfred North Whitehead.
46. "I'm not crazy, I've just been in a very bad mood 40 years!"
- Ouiser Boudreaux, 'Steel Magnolias'.
47. "All forms of madness, bizarre habits, awkwardness in society, general clumsiness, are justified in the person who creates good art."
- Roman Payne, 'Rooftop Soliloquy'.
48. "Insanity destroys reason, but not wit."
- Nathaniel Emmons.
49. "Madness tracked him like a homeless dog, needed only a kind word or gesture to throw its lot with him forever."
- William Gay.
50. "Great wits are sure to madness near allied, and thin partitions do their bounds divide."
- John Dryden.
51. "Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood."
- Wei Hui.
52. "When love is not madness, it is not love."
- Pedro Calderon de la Barca.
53. "We were wild, we were crazy, we were mostly young."
- Kenny Chesney.
54. "Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
- Carl Jung.
55. "And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche.
56. "If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."
- Dean Kansky, 'Serendipity'.
57. "If I am mad, it is mercy! May the gods pity the man who in his callousness can remain sane to the hideous end!"
- H.P. Lovecraft, 'The Temple'.
58. "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."
- Albert Einstein.
59. "There is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later."
- Douglas Adams.
60. "A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free."
- Nikos Kazantzakis.
61. "Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, and ages, it is the rule."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, 'Beyond Good And Evil'.
62. "Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence."
- Edgar Allan Poe.
63. "The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad."
- Salvador Dali.
64. "The world is becoming like a lunatic asylum run by lunatics."
- David Lloyd George.
65. "Madness need not be all breakdown. It may also be break-through."
- R. D. Laing.
66. "Save a little craziness for menopause!"
- Larry Lipton, 'Manhattan Murder Mystery'.
67. "Enough madness? Enough? And how do you measure madness?"
― Grant Morrison, 'Batman: Arkham Asylum'.
68. "Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children."
- Sam Levenson.
69. "Madness borrowed its face from the mask of the beast."
70. "I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people."
- Isaac Newton.
71. "Doubt… is an illness that comes from knowledge and leads to madness."
- Gustave Flaubert, 'Memoirs Of A Madman'.
72. "Madness in great ones must not unwatched go."
- William Shakespeare, 'Hamlet'.
73. "Everyone is more or less mad on one point."
Are you ready for the final installment of madness quotes? Here, we have collected some mad quotes that will tell you that it's good to be crazy.
74. "We are all born mad. Some remain so."
- Samuel Beckett.
75. "If at first the idea is not totally absurd then there is no hope for it."
- Albert Einstein.
76. "I'd rather be the king of kids, than the prince of fools."
- Jack Black.
77. "Some are born mad, some achieve madness, and some have madness thrust upon 'em."
- Emilie Autumn, 'The Asylum For Wayward Victorian Girls'.
78. "Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."
- Robert Anton Wilson.
79. "Flirting with madness was one thing; when madness started flirting back, it was time to call the whole thing off."
- Rohinton Mistry.
80. "Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be."
- Miguel de Cervantes.
81. "It is only through mystery and madness that the soul is revealed."
- Thomas Moore, 'Care Of The Soul: A Guide For Cultivating Depth And Sacredness In Everyday Life'.
82. "There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line."
- Oscar Levant.
83. "We’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
- Lewis Carroll, 'Alice's Adventures In Wonderland'.
84. "Everything great in the world is done by neurotics; they alone founded our religions and created our masterpieces."
- Marcel Proust.
85. "The extreme limit of wisdom – that is what the public calls madness."
- Jean Cocteau.
86. "Hell of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most."
- Frank James, 'Frank And Jesse'.
87. "Man is certainly stark mad; he cannot make a worm, and yet he will be making gods by dozens."
- Michel de Montaigne, 'Les Essais'.
88. "One person's craziness is another person's reality."
- Tim Burton.
89. "The thoughts written on the walls of madhouses by their inmates might be worth publicizing."
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg.
90. "You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
- Robin Williams.
91. "You learned to run from what you feel, and that's why you have nightmares. To deny is to invite madness. To accept is to control."
- Megan Chance, 'The Spiritualist'.
92. "Books have led some to learning and others to madness."
93. "I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw."
- Shakespeare, 'Hamlet'.
94. "There are certain people to whom one must advise craziness."
- Joseph Joubert.
95. "All inventors, they say, are a little mad. I reckon that only completely sane people are willing to admit they are slightly crazy."
- Trevor Baylis.
96. "Don't you blame the movies. Movies don't create psychos. Movies make psychos more creative!"
- Billy Loomis, 'Scream'.
97. "All living things contain a measure of madness that moves them in strange, sometimes inexplicable ways."
- Yann Martel, 'Life Of Pi'.
98. "Insanity is often the logic of an accurate mind overtasked."
- Oliver Wendell Holmes.
99. "Some madness doesn't act mad to begin with, sometimes it will knock politely at the door, and when you let it in, it'll simply sit in the corner without a fuss – and grow."
- Nathan Filer.
100. "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
- Marilyn Monroe.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for Madness quotes, then why not take a look at these 'Hamlet' madness quotes, or Mad Hatter quotes too?
Read The Disclaimer
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.