Get inspiration for education!
Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, creative tips and more
Phoebe Buffay is one of the main characters from the very popular TV show, F.R.I.E.N.D.S.
The character is played as very eccentric and a little slow. The 'Friends' character is played by actress, Lisa Kudrow.
Lisa Kudrow played the part incredibly well in the show even though she had difficulties with it, such as she was struggling with playing a dumb character and she had to wear a wig for almost the entire sixth season due to her real hair not being long enough to match with Phoebe. Just like Monica and Rachel, Phoebe also had a catchphrase, "Oh, no!" Her uniqueness also included that she always had new ideas for songs and her most famous one was "Smelly cat, smelly cat". Read up on these quotes below to relive some of her best lines and love Phoebe Buffay with all your heart.
Iconic Phoebe Buffay Quotes
Here we have some of the most iconic quotes from Phoebe Buffay that will tell you all about her beautiful weirdness and eccentric beliefs.
1. "Joey: Hey, Phoebs, do you wanna help?
Phoebe: Oh, I wish I could, but I don't want to."
- Season 1, Episode 1.
2. "If you want to receive emails about my upcoming shows, please give me money so I can buy a computer."
- Phoebe, Season 6, Episode 3.
3. "Tag: Phoebe? Wow - that's a great name.
Phoebe: Oh, you like that? You should hear my phone number."
- Season 7, Episode 4.
4. "Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat,
What are they feeding you?
Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat,
It's not your fault."
- Phoebe, Season 2, Episode 17.
5. "This is your third divorce! You love divorce so much you’re probably gonna marry it! Then it won’t work out and you’re gonna have to divorce it, divorcing guy."
- Phoebe, Season 6, Episode 1.
6. "Phoebe: He said call him as soon as you get a chance. He's at Flimby's.
Rachel: What's Flimby's?
Phoebe: Oh yeah, that's the word I use when I can't remember the real thing."
- Season 3, Episode 22.
7. "I just, I just have this really strong feeling that this cat is my Mother."
- Phoebe, Season 4, Episode 2.
8. "Rachel: No way! The most romantic song ever was The Way We Were.
Phoebe: Uh, see, I... I think the one that Elton John wrote for, um, that guy on 'Who's the Boss?'
Rachel: What song was that, Pheebs?
Phoebe: Um, Hold Me Close, Young Tony Danza."
- Season 3, Episode 1.
9. "No, no, I am against innocent trees being cut down in their prime, and their, their corpses grotesquely dressed in like tinsel and twinkly lights. Hey, how do you sleep at night?"
- Phoebe, Season 3, Episode 10.
10. "It's a known fact that lobsters fall in love and mate for life. You know what? You can actually see old lobster couples walkin' around their tank, you know, holding claws like…"
- Phoebe, Season 2, Episode 14.
11. "Phoebe: I'm always right about these things.
Rachel: No, you're not. Last week you thought Ross was trying to kill you.
Phoebe: Well, I'm sorry, but it's hard to believe that someone would tell a story that dull just to tell it."
- Season 10, Episode 10.
12. "Phoebe: Ok, I got an idea. If it's a girl, Phoebe, naturally. And, if it's a boy... Phoebo.
Ross: Uhh... Sure, but let's not limit ourselves to just one name."
- Season 8, Episode 13.
13. "Ross: You, uh, you don't believe in gravity?
Phoebe: Well, it's not so much that, you know, like I don't believe in it, you know, it's just... I don't know. Lately I get the feeling that I'm not so much being pulled down as I am being pushed."
- Season 2, Episode 3.
14. "Ross: No, go on! It’s Paul the Wine Guy!
Phoebe: What does that mean? Does he sell it, drink it, or just complain a lot?"
- Season 1, Episode 1.
15. "Phoebe: No, y-you have to get off the plane.
Rachel: What, why?
Phoebe: I have this feeling that something's wrong with it. Something is wrong with the left phalange."
- Season 10, Episode 18.
Funny Phoebe Buffay Quotes
While the whole gang was funny in their own way, Phoebe had individuality because of her eccentric beliefs. These funny 'Friends' quotes will prove how funny she was because of it. Check out these hilarious lines.
16. "Phoebe: Russ is Ross. Russ, Ross...
Rachel: Steve, sleeve.
Phoebe: Okay, no one is named sleeve."
- Season 2, Episode 10.
17. "Yeah, it's just so strange. I mean, she probably woke up today and thought, 'Ok, I'll have some breakfast, and then I'll take a little walk, and then I'll have my massage.' Little did she know God was thinking, 'Ok, but that's it'."
- Phoebe, Season 2, Episode 11.
18. "Chandler, you have got to stop staring at that door. It's like a watched pot. If you keep watching it, the door is never gonna boil."
- Phoebe, Season 2, Episode 24.
19. "Phoebe: Rachel didn't have anything I liked but she had this Christmas ribbon and I thought, 'Alright, I'll be political'.
Chandler: What are you supporting?
Phoebe: Duh, Christmas."
- Season 3, Episode 2.
20. "Okay, first... I'm not crazy. And second... say it, don't spray it."
- Phoebe, Season 3, Episode 3.
21. "I asked for the news, not the weather."
- Phoebe, Season 3, Episode 3.
22. "Monica: Hey. It's three in the morning. They don't know that I've come home yet. You notice how neither one of them are wondering where I am.
Phoebe: Yeah, you know, people can be so self-involved."
- Season 3, Episode 16.
23. "Phoebe: What town are we near?
Monica: Freemont! Westmont! Westburgh!
Phoebe: Okay, why are you answering?"
- Season 3, Episode 17.
24. "Phoebe: Oh you know what you should do? You should buy a state and then name it after yourself!
Pete: What, like Pete Dakota?
Phoebe: Or Mississi-Pete."
- Season 3, Episode 19.
25. "Ross: Uh, Pheebs, while we're hovering around the subject. I just have to say dinosaurs, they, they don't go 'ruff!'
Phoebe: The little ones do."
- Season 3, Episode 20.
26. "You’re the cook! Without you, it’s just me driving up to people’s houses with empty trays and asking for money."
- Phoebe, Season 4, Episode 9.
27. "Rachel Green: Does this look like something the girlfriend of a paleontologist would wear?
Phoebe: I don’t know, you might be the first one."
- Season 3, Episode 2.
28. "Monica Geller: Phoebe, do you have a plan?
Phoebe: I don’t even have a ‘pla'."
- Season 1, Episode 4.
29. "Oh my God! A woman flirting with a single man? We must alert the church elders!"
- Phoebe, Season 8, Episode 21.
30. "I'm sorry I won't be able to make it to your imaginary wedding, but I'm really busy that day. I already have a unicorn baptism and a leprechaun Bar Mitzvah."
- Season 8, Episode 8.
Best Quotes Of Phoebe From 'Friends'
Phoebe always spoke her mind and her honesty was the one thing loved by the entire gang. These are a few of the best lines on friends of Phoebe including Phoebe Buffay quotes about life and a lot more.
31. "Rachel: How could you not tell me she has hair?
Phoebe: I don't know, I hardly say that about people!"
- Season 3, Episode 24.
32. "Chandler still thinks I'm pregnant and he hasn't asked me how I'm feeling or offered to carry my bags. I feel bad for the woman who ends up with him."
- Phoebe, Season 8, Episode 2.
33. "Your tombstone can say whatever you want it to say. It could say, 'Ross Geller, Good at Marriage!' Y'know? Mine's gonna say, 'Phoebe Buffay, Buried Alive."
- Season 6, Episode 2.
34. "Phoebe: 'Hey, you know what I just realized? ‘Joker’ is ‘poker’ with a ‘J’. Coincidence?'
Chandler: 'Hey, that’s ‘joincidence’ with a ‘C’."
- Season 1, Episode 18.
35. "You know, you always see these really beautiful women with these really nothing guys. You could be one of those guys."
- Season 1, Episode 6.
36. "Joey: The casting director doesn't talk to friends! She only talks to agents!
Phoebe: What a sad little life she must lead."
- Season 3, Episode 4.
37. "Joey: Well, have-have you told him how you feel?
Phoebe: Yes. Not out loud."
- Season 3, Episode 18.
38. "Monica, Monica, have a happy Hanukkah
Saw Santa Claus, he said hello to Ross
And please tell Joey, Christmas will be snowwwwwy
And Rachel and Chandler, [mumbles something] handler!"
- Phoebe, Season 4, Episode 10.
39. "My sticky shoes,
my sticky, sticky shoes,
why you stick on me... baby."
- Phoebe, Season 4, Episode 5.
40. "When I was growing up, I didn’t have a normal mom and dad or a regular family like everybody else. And I always knew that something was missing. But now I’m standing here today knowing that I have everything I’m ever gonna need. You are my family."
- Phoebe, Season 10, Episode 12.
41. "Phoebe: They don't know that we know they know we know. And Joey, you can't say anything.
Joey: Couldn't if I wanted to."
- Season 5, Episode 14.
42. "Are you in there, little fetus? In nine months, will you greet us? I will … buy you some Adidas."
- Phoebe, Season 4, Episode 12.
43. "You should see me when I actually… Oh actually, no, I look good."
- Phoebe, Season 9, Episode 6.
44. "Come on, Ross, you’re a paleontologist. Dig a little deeper."
- Phoebe, Season 6, Episode 23.
45. "I am a pacifist. So I am not interested in war in any way. But you know what? When the revolution comes, I will have to destroy you all."
- Phoebe, Season 5, Episode 20.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for Phoebe Buffay quotes then why not take a look at Chandler Bing quotes, or Ross Geller quotes.
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.