Get inspiration for education!
Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, creative tips and more
William Shakespeare was an English poet and dramatist.
Shakespeare is also considered as one of the greatest writers of all time. As the national poet of England, he was given the title of 'The Bard of Avon'.
In 'A Midsummer Night's Dream', Shakespeare said that love was "Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind." 'The earth has music for those who listen' is considered by many as Shakespeare's most famous line. 'Shall I Compare Thee To A Summer’s Day' or 'Sonnet 18' is considered the most romantic sonnet of Shakespeare which also is a way how you say love in Shakespearean terms.
If you find our content interesting then do check out 'Twelfth Night' quotes and ['Much Ado About Nothing' quotes].
Best William Shakespeare Love Quotes
Enlisted below are the finest William Shakespeare quotes along with romantic quotes, Shakespeare quotes about love and quotes for weddings.
1."Doubt thou the stars are fire,
Doubt that the sun doth move,
Doubt truth to be a liar,
But never doubt I love."
- Polonius, 'Hamlet', Act One, Scene Two.
2. "Helen: Twill make us proud to be his servant, Paris.
Yea, what he shall receive of us in duty
Gives us more palm in beauty than we have,
Yea, overshines ourself.
Paris : Sweet, above thought I love thee."
- 'Troilus And Cressida', Act Three, Scene One.
3. "No sooner knew the reason but they sought the remedy; and in these degrees have they made a pair of stairs to marriage, which they will climb incontinent, or else be incontinent before marriage."
- Rosalind, 'As You Like It', Act Five, Scene Two.
4. "Silence is the perfectest herald of joy. I were but little happy if I could say how much.—Lady, as you are mine, I am yours. I give away myself for you and dote upon the exchange."
- Claudio, 'Much Ado About Nothing', Act Two, Scene One.
5. "It adds a precious seeing to the eye;
A lover's eyes will gaze an eagle blind;
A lover's ear will hear the lowest sound,
When the suspicious head of theft is stopp'd:"
- Brian, 'Love's Labour's Lost', Act Four, Scene Three.
6. "If music be the food of love, play on..."
- Duke Orsino, 'Twelfth Night', Act One, Scene One.
7. "And when Love speaks, the voice of all the gods
Makes heaven drowsy with the harmony."
- Brion, 'Love's Labour's Lost', Act Four, Scene Three.
8. "Could ever hear by tale or history,
The course of true love never did run smooth."
- Lysander, 'A Midsummer Night’s Dream', Act One, Scene One.
9. "My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep. The more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite."
- Juliet, 'Romeo And Juliet', Act Two, Scene Two.
Famous William Shakespeare Love Quotes
Here are some of the famous Shakespeare marriage quotes and 'Romeo And Juliet' quotes.
10. "Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind.
And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind."
- Helena, 'A Midsummer Night’s Dream', Act One, Scene One.
11. "Love sought is good, but given unsought better."
- Olivia, 'Twelfth Night', Act Three, Scene One.
12. "Hear my soul speak:--
The very instant that I saw you, did
My heart fly to your service..."
- Ferdinand, 'The Tempest', Act Three, Scene One.
13. "Here’s to my love! O true apothecary,
Thy drugs are quick.
Thus with a kiss I die."
- Romeo, 'Romeo And Juliet', Act Five, Scene Three.
14. "The measure done, I’ll watch her place of stand,
And, touching hers, make blessèd my rude hand.
Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight!
For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night."
- Romeo, 'Romeo And Juliet', Act One, Scene Five.
15. "Sir, I do love you more than words can wield the matter..."
- Goneril, 'King Lear', Act One Scene One.
16. "But love is blind, and lovers cannot see
The pretty follies that themselves commit..."
- Jessica, 'The Merchant Of Venice', Act Two, Scene Six.
17. "But come what sorrow can,
It cannot countervail the exchange of joy
That one short minute gives me in her sight.
Do thou but close our hands with holy words,
Then love-devouring death do what he dare;
It is enough I may but call her mine."
- Romeo, 'Romeo And Juliet', Act Two, Scene Six.
Best Of Shakespearean Sonnets
In this category you will find the best of Shakespearean Sonnets along with a romantic Shakespeare quote.
18. "Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate."
- William Shakespeare, 'Sonnet 18: Shall I Compare Thee To A Summer’s Day?'
19. "Nor did I wonder at the lily’s white,
Nor praise the deep vermilion in the rose;
They were but sweet, but figures of delight
Drawn after you..."
- William Shakespeare, 'Sonnet 98: From You Have I Been Absent In The Spring.'
20. "My love is as a fever, longing still
For that which longer nurseth the disease..."
- William Shakespeare, 'Sonnet 147: My Love Is As A Fever, Longing Still'.
21. "Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove."
- William Shakespeare, 'Sonnet 116: Let Me Not To The Marriage Of True Minds'
22. "Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
(Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth) sings hymns at heaven’s gate;
For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings."
- William Shakespeare, 'Sonnet 29: When, In Disgrace With Fortune And Men’s Eyes.'
23. "Mine eye and heart are at a mortal war,
How to divide the conquest of thy sight;
Mine eye my heart thy picture's sight would bar,
My heart mine eye the freedom of that right."
- William Shakespeare, 'Sonnet 46'.
24. "But wherefore says she not she is unjust?
And wherefore say not I that I am old?
Oh, love’s best habit is in seeming trust,
And age in love loves not to have years told."
- William Shakespeare, 'Sonnet 138: When My Love Swears That She Is Made Of Truth'.
25. "Make sweet some vial; treasure thou some place
With beauty's treasure ere it be self-killed."
- William Shakespeare, 'Sonnet 06'.
26. "Ruin hath taught me thus to ruminate,
That Time will come and take my love away."
- William Shakespeare, 'Sonnet 64: When I Have Seen By Time's Fell Hand Defac'd'
27. "For summer and his pleasures wait on thee..."
- William Shakespeare, 'Sonnet 97: How Like A Winter Hath My Absence Been'.
28. "O! how thy worth with manners may I sing,
When thou art all the better part of me?"
- William Shakespeare, 'Sonnet 39'.
29. "So your sweet hue, which methinks still doth stand,
Hath motion, and mine eye may be deceived..."
- William Shakespeare, 'Sonnet 104: To Me, Fair Friend, You Never Can Be Old'.
30. "Mine eyes have drawn thy shape, and thine for me
Are windows to my breast..."
- William Shakespeare, 'Sonnet 24'.
31. "All in war with Time for love of you,
As he takes from you, I engraft you new."
- William Shakespeare, 'Sonnet 15: When I Consider Everything That Grows'.
32. "As truth and beauty shall together thrive,
If from thyself, to store thou wouldst convert;
Or else of thee this I prognosticate:
Thy end is truth's and beauty's doom and date."
- William Shakespeare, 'Sonnet 14'.
33. "Pity me then, dear friend, and I assure ye
Even that your pity is enough to cure me."
- William Shakespeare, 'Sonnet 111: O, For My Sake Do You With Fortune Chide'.
34. "Then can I grieve at grievances foregone,
And heavily from woe to woe tell o'er
The sad account of fore-bemoaned moan,
Which I new pay as if not paid before.
But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restor'd, and sorrows end."
- William Shakespeare, 'Sonnet 30: When To The Sessions Of Sweet Silent Thought'.
35. "O benefit of ill! now I find true
That better is by evil still made better;
And ruined love, when it is built anew,
Grows fairer than at first, more strong, far greater.
So I return rebuked to my content,
And gain by ills thrice more than I have spent."
- William Shakespeare, 'Sonnet 119'.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for Shakespeare love quotes then why not take a look at 'Midsummer Nights Dream' quotes, or ['Othello' quotes]?
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.