Get inspiration for education!
Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, creative tips and more
Fishing is a fun and one of the most popular activities.
All it needs is good equipment and a solid strategy. Fishing does not only help you live a healthy and happy life but also adds positivity to your life.
The list includes famous fishing sayings by Patrick F McManus, John Buchan, Robert Altman, Paul Schullery, Mark Twain and Jeff Foxworthy, Henry David Thoreau, Herbert Hoover, and many more. Fishing is soothing and relaxing. We can celebrate fishing in our own way. We've brought to you some major fishing quotes. Enjoy!
If you like these quotes, check out [fish quotes] or just breathe quotes.
Good Fishing Quotes
These quotes listed below are the perfect read before your next fishing trip.
1. "If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago."
- Zane Grey, 'Tales Of Southern Rivers'.
2. "I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself."
- Joseph Monniger, 'Home Waters'.
3. "Most of the world is covered by water. A fisherman's job is simple: Pick out the best parts."
- Charles Waterman, 'Catch Big Fish'.
4. "The two best times to fish is when it's raining and when it ain't."
- Patrick F McManus.
5. "I am firmly convinced that the ideal combination leading to a happy life is to have the time to both fish and read."
- Brian Murphy.
6. "The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."
- A.K. Best.
7. "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
- Henry David Thoreau.
8. "There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."
- Roderick Haig Brown, 'The Season Of A Fisherman'.
9. "It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish."
- Stephen Leacock, 'A Championship Life'.
10. "Just as in cooking, there's no such thing as a little garlic; in fishing, there's no such thing as a little drag."
- H.G. Tapply.
Funny Quotes About Fishing
Here are funny fishing quotes that will help you relieve stress and pressure before fishing. These funny fish quotes will definitely crack you up.
11. "Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job."
- Paul Schullery.
12. "Probably fishing is my first passion."
13. "Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."
- Tony Blake.
14. "If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."
- Sparse Grey Hackle.
15. "Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl."
- Ernest Hemingway.
16." Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days."
– Benjamin Franklin.
17. "Do not tell fish stories where the people know you. Particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
- Mark Twain.
18. "The act of fishing – for fish, dreams, or whatever magic is available – is enough. It transports us to a special world, and a state of mind, where we are free."
- Fennel Hudson, 'A Meaningful Life'.
19. "Fishing in a place is a meditation on the rhythm of a tide, a season, the arc of a year, and the seasons of life."
- Carl Safina, 'The View From Lazy Point'.
20. "Fishing is much less about the fishing, and much more about the time alone with your kid, away from the hustle and bustle of the every day."
- Dan Pearce, 'Single Dad Laughing'.
Famous Fishing Quotes
Here are some of the famous and funny fishing sayings, which will help you focus on what is important and charge your batteries for the entire day.
21. "Like they say, you can learn more from a guide in one day than you can in three months fishing alone."
- Mario Lopez.
22. "When I go fishing I like to know that there's nobody within five miles of me."
- Norman MacCaig.
23. "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions of hope."
- John Buchan.
24. "I only make movies to finance my fishing."
- Lee Marvin.
25. "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd by a shortage of fishing poles."
- Doug Larson.
26. "Creeps and idiots cannot conceal themselves for long on a fishing trip."
- John Gierach, 'Death, Taxes, And Leaky Waders: A John Gierach Fly-Fishing Treasury'.
27. "Look at where Jesus went to pick people. He didn't go to the colleges… he got guys off the fishing docks."
28. "Fly-fishing is the most fun you can have standing up."
- Arnold Gingrich.
29. "I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there."
- Robert Altman, 'Esquire'.
30. "Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime."
- Jimmy Cannon.
Best Fishing Quotes
The quotes below help you understand the happiness and pleasure behind fishing.
31. "There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."
- Steven Wright.
32. "To fish for one's food is meditation."
- Jessica Marie Baumgartner.
33. "He liked fishing and seemed to take pride in being able to like such a stupid occupation."
- Leo Tolstoy,' Anna Karenina'.
34. "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd by a shortage of fishing poles."
- Doug Larson.
35. "Fishing is a hard job. Fishing at night. Rain. Day, night… You have to be wise and smart. And quick."
- Mariano Rivera.
36. "I do hunt and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing."
- General Norman Schwarzkopf.
37. "Fishing is a delusion entirely surrounded by liars in old clothes."
- Don Marquis.
38. "There's an absolute surety to the hands-on conservation lifestyle of hunting, fishing, and trapping where you know you're going to consume today."
- Ted Nugent.
39. "If fishing is religion, fly fishing is high church."
- Tom Brokaw.
40. "I propose that it only matters that you attempt to catch a fish. Doing so brings you close to nature."
Witty Fish Quotes
These funny fishing quotes for captions are perfect for your Instagram post about the fishing trip.
41. "Sharing the fun of fishing turns strangers into friends in a few hours."
– Eugene Clark,' Lady With A Spear'.
42. "Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once. "
43. "Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it."
– Harry Middleton.
44. "I worry about kids today not having time to build a tree house or ride a bike or go fishing. I worry that life is getting faster and faster."
– John Lasseter.
45. "Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it."
– Ed Zern.
46. "Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."
47. "There are only two occasions when American respect privacy, especially in Presidents. Those are prayer and fishing."
48. "Anytime I can sneak in a moment to fish and ride horses, I'm a happy camper!"
– George Foreman.
49. "Govern a family as you would cook a small fish–very gently."
50. "Like they say, you can learn more from a guide in one day than you can in three months fishing alone."
– Mario Lopez.
Meaningful Fishing Quotes
These quotes will surely uplift your spirit after a bad day at fishing .
51. "If your concentration is getting bad, take up bass fishing. It will really improve your ability to focus. If you aren't ready when that fish hits, you can't set the hook."
- Lee Trevino.
52. "My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
- Koos Brandt.
53. "Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers."
- Herbert Hoover.
54. "There are always new places to go fishing. For any fisherman, there's always a new place, always a new horizon."
- Jack Nicklaus.
55. "One thing becomes clearer as one gets older and one's fishing experience increases, and that is the paramount importance of one's fishing companions."
- John Ashley.
56. "There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."
- Roderick Haig, 'The Seasons Of A Fisherman'.
57. "Quite possibly, this is the key to fishing: the ability to see glamour in whatever species one may fish for."
- Harold F. Blaisdell.
58. "There is nothing like the thrill of expectation over the first cast in unfamiliar waters. Fishing is like gambling, in that failure only excites hope of a fortunate throw next time."
- Charles Dudley Warner.
59. "When we fish, we are awake. We are attuned to the environment, to the world, to the reverence and wonder of life."
- Dan Baughman.
60. "I love fishing. It's like transcendental meditation with a punch-line."
- Billy Connolly, 'Gullible's Travels'.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for funny fishing quotes then why not take a look at water quotes, or [ocean quotes]
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.