Recent searches (0)
FOR ALL AGES
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
The term 'Steel Magnolias' is often used to refer to strong women.
'Steel Magnolias', a comedy-drama movie directed by Herbert Ross, hit the screen in 1989. The title is an oxymoron that describes strong women who have great strength as that of steel while at the same time they have the tenderness of a magnolia flower.
The movie 'Steel Magnolias' boasts of a strong star cast in the names of Sally Field, Dolly Parton, Shirley MacLaine, Julia Roberts, Daryl Hannah, Olympia Dukakis, and Tom Skerritt to name a few. These evergreen stars have stepped into the characters of M' Lynn Eatenton, Truvy Jones, Ouiser Boudreaux, Annelle Dupuy Desoto, Clairee Belcher, Shelby Eatenton Latcherie, and Drum Eatenton. The movie shows how women can take adversity heads on and still have the strength to smile and laugh away all the despair. We need more movies like these to reinforce our belief in better humanity.
The 'Steel Magnolias' movie quotes share the essence of each character with great fortitude. We bring the quotes from 'Steel Magnolias' that have a free spirit of their own and show us the beauty in love, friendship, and camaraderie among women.
Shirley MacLaine exemplifies the character of Ouiser boudreaux. Ouiser is the abridged version of the name Louisa. The name is pronounced as 'Weezer'. The name refers to a rich, ill-tempered, and elderly person. If you decipher each quote of Ouiser in the movie, you will find a deeper sense of love for freedom hidden in this traditional southern woman. Years of wisdom are calling out for its free share of liberation. Each quote will tickle your brain cells. Here are a few select 'Steel Magnolias' quotes Ouiser glorifies.
1. "I'm not crazy, M'Lynn, I've just been in a very bad mood for 40 years!"
2. "A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste."
3. "Don't try to get on my good side, Truvy. I no longer have one!"
4. "The only reason people are nice to me is because I have more money than God."
5. "Clairee: And I can also report that a mysterious car is parked in her driveway at least once a week...
Ouiser Boudreaux : There. My secrets out. I'm having an affair with a Mercedes Benz!"
6. "He's a real gentleman! I bet he takes the dishes out of the sink before he pees in it!"
7. "Clairee Belcher: Ousier's never done a religious thing in her life.
Ouiser Boudreaux: Now that is not true. When I was in school, a bunch of my friends and I would dress up as nuns and go bar-hoppin'.”
8. "My God, you look different. Have you shrunk?"
9. "Clairee Belcher: The older you get, the sillier you get.
Ouiser Boudreaux: Yeah, well the older you get, the uglier you get."
Now, if you were thinking that Ouiser was witty enough, we share with you the vivacious Truvy Jones. Truvy Jones is your typical next-door neighbor charming lady who doesn't miss a beat on getting the juicy scoops in their neighborhood. Her lively persona shines through in the movies. She owns a beauty shop and is the receiver and dispenser of all town gossip. Dolly Parton does full justice to the character of Truvy Jones in 'Steel Magnolias'. A few quotes are given below.
10. "There's so much static electricity in the room, I pick up everything but boys and money."
11. "In a good shoe, I wear a size six, but a seven feels good, I buy a size eight."
12. "Smile! It increases your face value."
13. "Time marches on and sooner or later you realize it is marchin' across your face."
14. "Oh, honey, God don't care which church you go, long as you show up."
15. "Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion."
16. "There is no such thing as natural beauty."
17. "I have a strict policy that nobody cries alone in my presence."
18. "The nicest thing that I can say about her is that all her tattoos are spelled correctly."
Sally Field and Julia Roberts portray the characters of M' Lynn and Shelby, respectively. The mother-daughter duo shares a typical bond; they have their share of ups and downs. M'Lynn is a quintessential protective mother who would go any length for the well-being of her child. Shelby's share of misery is given by the fact that she suffers from damaged kidneys and is warned by her physician not to bear a child. But her fiancé assures his love for her and that he would never leave her. Eventually, she gets pregnant. To top it off, Shelby is diagnosed with Type I diabetes. She suffers from her ailments in the movie. Here are a few interesting quotes from these characters.
19. "I find it amusing. Men are supposed to be made out of steel or something."
20. "I would rather have 30 minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special."
21. "Pink is my signature color."
23. "Well, we went skinny dipping and we did things that frightened the fish"
If you thought the rest of the characters are dull, here are a few quotes to change your perception.
24. "You sound almost chipper. What happened today, you run over a small child or something?"
25. "Clairee Belcher: Janice Van Meter got hit with a baseball. It was fabulous.
Truvy Jones: Was she hurt?
Clairee Belcher: I doubt it. She got hit in the head."
26. "My personal tragedy will not interfere with my ability to do good hair."
27. "Oh, Ouiser -- I don't wanna have to kill you."
28. "Annelle Dupuy Desoto: That is one ugly dog. What kind of dog is that?
Clairee Belcher: If it had hair, it'd be a Saint Bernard."
29. "The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize."
30. "Well, you know what they say: if you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!"
31. "Ouiser, I'd recognize this penmanship anywhere. You have the handwritin' of a serial killer."
32. "Ouiser could never stay mad at me; she worships the quicksand I walk on."
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for 'Steel Magnolias' quotes then why not take a look at 'Pretty Woman' quotes, or ['Thelma and Louise' quotes].
Read The Disclaimer
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.
Remember that you can always manage your preferences or unsubscribe through the link at the foot of each newsletter.