As with most things when you have a baby, buying the right bottles can be a bit of a minefield and get overwhelming.
Your baby might be exclusively on the bottle, or if you're breastfeeding you may just want the option of using a bottle in certain situations or so that others can feed them. We know those early days can be tiring (does anyone remember what a full night's sleep feels like?), so we want to make sure that your baby's bottles are the least of your worries.
Here we've done the research for you on the best bottles for newborns.
Kidadl's Top Pick - Best For Families On A Budget
1. Tommee Tippee Closer To Nature
The Tommee Tippee Closer To Nature bottles are super popular and it's easy to see why. These cheap bottles for babies are a brilliant all-rounder: the teats have a breast-like texture so they're easy to switch from breastfeeding, they're easy to clean and the slow airflow reduces colic. They're available at a wide range of stockists thanks to their popularity - perfect for when you need to go up a teat or bottle size, or just fancy switching to another colour.
- Price: £14.99 (pack of six)
- Light and easy to hold
- Slow airflow
- Breast-like teat
- Hygiene seal cap to keep germs away
Best All-Round Baby Bottles
2. Philips Avent Natural Baby Bottle
Philips Avent baby bottles have been going since 1984 - and it's easy to see why. They're a great all-rounder with various size teats and bottles, are easy to clean and work well with other products from the Avent range - like breast pumps and training cup tops for when they're older. Just make sure you fix the teat securely in place, as it may collapse otherwise (though our babies didn't mind much when this happened!).
- Price: £14.50 (pack of two)
- Suitable from birth
- Anti-colic valve
- Works with other products from the Avent range
Best Bottle To Prevent Colic
3. Dr Brown’s Options+ Anti-Colic Bottle
Dr Brown's have a reputation for producing the best bottle for anti colic - and with good reason. The slightly odd-looking green vent system inside the bottle can be a bit fiddly (and when you're half asleep it's another piece to put together) but we can vouch that it does work for many parents. If you think your baby might have grown out of any risk of colic, you can also use the bottle without the vent. Individually, these bottles are on the pricier side (you can save by buying packs of four) - and be wary of them leaking, sometimes caused by the valve when warming them up.
- Price: £22.98 (pack of four)
- 100% vacuum-free vent system, meaning less colic
- Breast-like teat shape, contoured for a proper latch
Best Baby Bottles For Easy Sterilising
4. MAM Easy Start Anti-Colic Self-Sterilising Bottle
We love this popular baby bottle from MAM because of its easy-to-sterilise design. After washing, the bottle breaks down into four pieces so you can easily set it up to sterilise in the microwave for three minutes. You can use a steriliser instead, but it's great if you want to skip that piece of equipment and save on kitchen counter space. The bottle - decorated with cute motifs on the side - is also vented at the base, which is thought to result in less air being swallowed (this means less colic and hopefully more sleep for you!).
- Price: £13.99 (pack of two)
- 94% acceptance rate among babies
- Colic is reduced in 80% of cases because less air is swallowed
- Self-sterilising design
Best Baby Bottles For Breastfeeding
5. Nuby Combat Colic Bottles
Most bottles aim to imitate the breast and the Nuby Baby Bottles are no exception - except they actually guarantee that your baby will be able to use them. If your baby doesn't accept the bottle, you can return them for a refund within 24 weeks of buying them (check on the packaging for the latest guarantee details). That's great peace of mind if you're worried about making the switch - we reckon anything that keeps you calmer is worth a go.
- Price: £12.90 (pack of three with dummy)
- Acceptance guarantee
- Some versions glow in the dark
- Suitable from birth
- Three anti-colic valves in the teats
Best Bottles For Expressed Milk
6. Medela Breast Milk Bottle
If you're mainly using breast milk to feed your baby, Medela's bottles are the best option. They're easy to attach to their manual and electric pumps, and they're amazing for storing away a stash in the fridge or freezer. It's also worth checking what your chosen baby bottles come with, as some sets don't include teats or only have one.
- Price: £9.59 (pack of three bottles with one teat)
- Easy to store and freeze with secure caps
- Works with the popular breast pump range
- Easy to clean
Best Baby Bottle For Cleaning
7. Comotomo Natural Feel Baby Bottle
This bottle may not be for everyone as it's by far the most expensive - but it has two main features you won't find elsewhere. Firstly it's so easy to clean that you don't need a bottle brush. Secondly - it's currently the only soft and squeezable bottle around, mimicking the full breastfeeding experience.
- Price: £17.58
- Soft and squeezable bottle
- Striking bottle shape design
Best Baby Bottle For Temperature Control
8. NUK First Choice Plus Baby Bottle With Temperature Control
NUK bottles were already among the best bottles for breastfed babies - and now they've upped their game even further with this innovative addition. When you're up in the night with a baby that will only have warm milk and you have to make up formula with boiling water, you want to ensure it's cooled down sufficiently - and this colour-changing technology is perfect for the job. The display will go white if it's too hot, or blue if too cold.
- Price: £5.59 (one bottle and teat)
- Innovative temperature display
- Anti-colic vent
- Good range of designs - cute colours and motifs
Best Glass Bottles For Babies
9. Lansinoh Glass Feeding Bottle
The thought of using so much plastic during a child's early years can be horrifying for the more eco-conscious among us. These days, glass baby bottles are becoming popular - and this bottle by Lansinoh (you'll be familiar with them if you've ever used nipple cream) is a great ethical choice with a collapse-resistant teat, although it is definitely on the pricey side.
- Price: £9.99 (one bottle)
- Teat designed to encourage 'wave-like' tongue movement
- Vent system to reduce colic
- 100% recyclable
Best Bottle For Preserving Breastmilk
10. Nanobébé Breastmilk Bottles
This striking breast-shape bottle may seem like a gimmick, but there is science behind it. Because of its shape and increased surface area, it cools quickly - reducing bacterial growth - and warms quickly to optimum temperatures that don't damage the breastmilk's nutrients. It's also easier for younger babies to grip, meaning they may self-feed earlier than most (here's hoping!).
- Price: £21.99 (pack of three)
- Heats at least twice as quickly as other bottles
- Helps prevent milk from being exposed to damaging high temperatures
- Reduces bacterial growth by cooling quickly
- Bottle shape encourages early self-feeding
While you are most likely occupying yourself with taking care of the baby, it's also very important to take care of yourself too! Read all about the best nipple creams in our guide for new mummies. Or if you have friends who are soon to be parents, we've got some suggestions of gifts for the baby shower.
Despite living in London for more than 10 years, Becky is a countryside lover at heart. After growing up in the Yorkshire Dales, she relocated to the capital to continue her journalism career before finally settling in West Sussex in 2019. Mum to a chatty toddler (and a middle-aged cat), if she's not being forced to sing nursery rhymes she can be found watching live sport with a nice cup of tea.