We hope you love our recommendations! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
When it comes to back to school supplies, the pencil case is arguably one of the most essential items for your child's school bag.
At schools with uniforms and rules, pencil cases can be a great opportunity for children to show their personality. Whether your child is creative, academia-focused or both, we've found the top pencil cases that tick all the boxes when it comes to value, practicality, and style, so they can carry everything they need for school.
Our Top Choice
Helix Oxford Premium Maths Set
Helix's 'Oxford' set has been providing kids with all they need for maths and science work for years. In particular, this premium version of the classic Maths Set can take kids from late KS2, all the way to A-Levels. This kids pencil case is packed full of all the stationery extras your child could need, at a very reasonable price. Plus, the metal tin functions as a pencil case in its own right.
- Price: £6.69
- Includes a pencil sharpener, eraser, pencil, lettering stencil, maths sheet, compass, folding ruler, a protractor and two set squares
- Re-usable metal tin
- Fits National Curriculum standards
- Measurements: 22.4 x 9.4 x 2.2 cm
Best For Creative Kids
1. Colour In Back To School Pencil Case
Struggling to find the perfect pencil case for your arty child? The new London-themed design of the Colour In pencil case means it can be coloured in again and again with the included fabric pens. It's washable, so kids can redesign the London landscape to their heart's content, and is a decent size to fit in all the pens and pencils your child might need.
- Price: £12.50
- Comes with six different coloured fabric pens
- Made from washable cotton canvas
- Comes in a cardboard gift box
- Measurements: 12 x 25cm
2. Personalised Wooden Pencil Case Box
These personalised wooden pencil cases make brilliant back-to-school gifts. With a built-in ruler, sharpener and colourful pencils included, the slick design of this case is perfect to prepare any child for school. The personalised element also makes it much more difficult to lose.
- Price: £14.50
- Customisable engraving on the side
- Includes 12 coloured pencils, a built-in ruler and a pencil sharpener
- Can include up to 20 characters
- Measurements: 21 x 4.3 x 3.1cm
Best For Under 5s
Narwhal Plush Pencil Case
This adorable Paperchase pencil case makes a perfect 'first pencil case' for younger children. With a fluffy design, this narwhal is great to cuddle, as well as storing pens, pencils, and anything else your child needs. This plush case even comes with an adorable mini pencil case in a little pouch, for kids to carry any extra important small items they happen to find.
- Price: £10
- Comes with mini zip case
- Also available as a panda, or as a notebook
- Measurements: 18.5 x 13.5cm
Best For Under 10s
Smiggle Good Vibes Pop Out Pencil Case
Smiggle UK is known for providing new and fun design solutions for school items. These cute pencil cases for girls and boys alike include a mini calculator and pencil sharpener, and the pop-up features are lots of fun for kids. Each Smiggle pencil case comes in a range of colours and designs, so there is something for every child.
- Price: £12.50
- Multiple colour options
- Pop-out drawer compartments and calculator
- Built-in pen slots and pop-up pencil sharpener
- Measurements: 3 x 26 x 9cm
Best For Families On A Budget
Helix Oxford Clear Pencil Case
If you're looking for something basic, this clear case is a great, simple option for any child or teen. Brilliant for exams, this case adheres to UK exam regulations and is also great for holding and organising small items.
- Price: £0.99
- Clear PVC case with double stitching
- Designed for compliance with UK exam regulations
- Measurements: 12.5 x 20cm
Best For Teens
1. Triple Pocket Marble Pencil Case
Looking for a large pencil case that also ticks all the style boxes? This ultra aesthetic pencil case has three zipped sections for organisation, and the chunky size means kids and teens have room for everything they need to carry around with them.
- Price: £6.99
- 3 compartments with zips
- Matching backpack also available
- Measurements: 14 x 24 x 9cm
2. Agenzio Punch Pink Oval Pencil Case
When kids get older, sometimes all they need for school are a couple of pens and a highlighter. Perfect for older kids and teens, this simple, small pencil case takes up hardly any room and comes in a variety of colours and designs.
- Price: £6
- Multiple colours and design options available
- Can fit up to 20 pens or pencils
- Made from vegan leatherette
- Measurements: 20 x 5 x 5cm
3. Fortnite Pencil Case
Keen gamers will love this pencil case for girls and boys. With lots of different design options, this bold and colourful case is a practical and fun option for the classroom. It's also a decent size, so can even fit chunky items such as highlighters, and also makes a fantastic gift.
- Price: £10.95
- Six different designs available
- Officially licensed by Fortnite
- Measurements: 24.3 x 11.3 x 4.8 cm
4. Nike Elemental 20L Backpack And Pencil Case
While this Nike pencil case and bag combo isn't strictly just a pencil case, we felt like we couldn't miss it out. A high-quality black pencil case and bag set, this option is great for kids starting secondary school, and is understated enough to suit all types of personality. At £20 this duo is great value for money and has a long lasting durable design.
Kidadl Best Buys selects the top parent-recommended products across the web for families of all ages. If you liked our suggestions for pencil cases, then why not take a look at stationery to put inside them, or for something different take a look at the best hand sanitisers for going back to school.
- Price: £20
- Pencil case included
- 20-litre capacity bag with three external pockets, with padded shoulder straps
- Rucksack can fit A4 documents and folders and is made from water-resistant materials
Sarah was born and raised in the North West. Her love of art and culture brought her to study in London and she never left! She can be found teaching painting classes, trying out new recipes, or drawing with a cup of tea.