Clifton Park and Museum
- Clifton Park and Museum is a wonderful city park in Rotherham with a municipal museum on site, located in the historic Clifton House.
- The Clifton Park Museum traces the vibrant history of Rotherham through interactive exhibits and remarkable collections of weird and wonderful artefacts.
- Surrounding the museum, Clifton Park features a family Fun Park, Water Splash zone, sports facilities, a Mini Golf course, the Clifton Express train ride and one of the largest free play parks in South Yorkshire.
- Don't miss the array of family events and craft activities that take place in the expansive gardens and Grade II listed house throughout the year.
Set in the Georgian Clifton House and its former private grounds, Clifton Park and Museum offers a fun-filled family day out and is a treasured part of the rich Rotherham legacy.
Built in 1783, Clifton House was formerly owned by the famous Walker family who ran the town's Rotherham Ironworks. Its surrounding Clifton Park grounds were initially kept as private land to the house, before being made open to the public in 1891. The site is now home to an eclectic modern museum and beloved open park that is full of a huge range of family activities and unique play areas. Clifton Park Museum documents the rich history of Rotherham through diverse exhibits tailored to appeal to every age group. You can step into the stunning Clifton House and be transported back in time to uncover the stories and people that shaped the history of Rotherham through intriguing collections, permanent galleries and temporary exhibitions. Discover the early Roman and Medieval days of Rotherham through the set-dressed pre-historic galleries, marvel at Mark Wallinger's famous 'Ghost' horse print, learn about innovative Victorian inventions, gaze into the symbolic Rotherham rocks and gemstones, and explore the weird and wonderful in the Library Gallery from the town's most intriguing collectors, including Egyptian mummified animals and even a two-bodied kitten! Kids will love immersing themselves in the smells and tastes of the Victorian Kitchen, which shows visitors how food would've been prepared in Clifton House, and the wonderful Lion's Den Play Area, where the most-loved exhibit of Clifton Park Museum- Nelson the Lion - has been given its own, family-focused gallery.
Beyond the museum walls, there is so much more outdoor fun to be had in the surrounding Clifton Park. This public park is a perfect mix of beautiful landscaped gardens and awesome family adventures, with so many unique spaces to blow off some steam in. The Clifton Park and Museum Fun Park features children's roller-coasters, bumper cars, water rides and arcade games with something for kids of every age and daredevil-level; the Water Splash play area lets kids cool off in its acre of fountains and water features; a unique Mini Golf course will have the whole family feeling competitive, and the charming Clifton Express road railway train is on-hand to transport visitors around the Clifton Park and Museum. Sporty ones can show off their skills in the tennis and basketball courts or the skate park, and little, and big kids alike will love the Clifton Park play area - the biggest free play zone in all of Yorkshire which is open all year round! From musical stepping stones and a mesmerising flower maze to awesome zip wires and tyre swings, this eclectic adventure playground truly has something for everyone.
Whether you want to learn, play or attend one of the numerous history and craft events taking place here in Rotherham throughout the year, Clifton Park and Museum offers a seriously special day out for all the family. If you enjoyed this perfect mix of park and stately home, why not head to Hillsborough Park, for another fantastic free day out, just north of Sheffield.
What to know before you go
- The Clifton Park Museum opening times are Tuesday to Sunday from 10am to 4pm. The museum is not open on Mondays other than during the Rotherham school holidays. The last admission is thirty minutes for the museum closing time.
- Clifton Park is open all day every day, but the car park will not be open overnight. Please note that the Water Splash area, Fun Park and Garden House may have varying open and closing times.
- The Clifton Park and Museum Walker Café is open Tuesday to Friday and Sunday from 10am to 3.30pm, and on Sundays from 8.30am to 3.30pm.
- Clifton Park and Museum is free to enter, but charges may apply to special events and exhibitions.
- Dogs are welcome at Clifton Park Rotherham, but only assistance dogs are allowed in the museum itself and café.
- Clifton Park and Museum has a wonderful café on site - the Walker Café - which serves a great range of breakfasts, lunches, cakes, scones and drinks. There are also ice cream kiosks dotted throughout Clifton Park serving snacks and drinks, as well as a burger van in the play park.
- You are also welcome to bring your own picnic to enjoy in the Clifton Park grounds.
- There is a great gift shop on-site at Clifton Park and Museum selling books, gifts, toys, sweets and more.
- Clifton Park Museum is fully accessible for all visitors, and there are wheelchair and buggy-friendly pathways throughout the park. Accessible toilets can be found in the Clifton Park Museum, Garden House and Water Splash area, which also has a Changing Facility and hoist.
- The Clifton Park play area has accessible equipment for all visitors to join in the fun.
- Mobility scooters are available to hire for a returnable deposit from the Clifton Park Garden House.
- Toilets can be found throughout Clifton Park and Museum.
- Look out for the Clifton Park Museum events taking place throughout the year, such as art, craft and historical workshops.
- Clifton Park and Museum is located on Clifton Lane just a few miles from the town centre of Rotherham in South Yorkshire.
- Pay and display parking is available on-site at Clifton Park and Museum as well as in the Doncaster Road car park. Both have accessible spaces available.
- Rotherham Clifton Park can be accessed via buses from the town centre which stops directly outside Clifton Park museum.
- Clifton Park Museum is just a 15-minute walk from Rotherham Central Station.
- Cycling to the museum is also encouraged, and bike storage facilities are located next to the information room at Clifton Park Museum.