- Discover some of London's most original and exciting artworks, fashion, and food with a trip to Spitalfields Market in East London.
- Explore the Traders' Market, with a wide variety of different stalls on offer selling all kinds of exciting goods.
- Find the perfect piece of clothing or art with a visit to the Spitalfields Style Market or the Spitalfields Arts Market, a haven for trendsetting Londoners.
- Enjoy something different with a tasty selection from the Spitalfields Food Market, which has stalls from all over the world.
Whether you're looking for your next trendy fashion piece or for a delicious bite to eat from somewhere new, there's something for everyone at Spitalfields Market.
This East End staple in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets has been around in one form or another for hundreds of years, having first been commissioned by King Charles II in 1682. Today, the Market retains the charm of its interesting history whilst also breaking new ground in the latest consumer goods and trends. It's a fantastic place to spend a few hours exploring the different stalls on offer.
One of the best markets in London, Spitalfields, is open for trading seven days a week. The Market is right next to Old Spitalfields Market, which is one of the most traditional London markets and includes a flower market, farmers' markets, and food stalls.
The Traders' Market, which has over 100 stalls selling all kinds of different goods, is open five days a week; Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Sunday. This version of the Market has the broadest range of stalls on offer, including clothing, art, and food.
On Saturdays, the Market transforms into the special Spitalfields Style Market. Here, over 80 independent sellers arrive at the Market with a large variety of fashionable clothes on offer.
This day of the Market is extremely popular with London's style-conscious, as it is the perfect opportunity to discover something unique that you might not be able to find anywhere else. With a range of different stalls covering varying price points, the Saturday Style Market can cater to everybody's needs.
From Friday to Monday, nearby Crispin Place transforms into the Spitalfields Arts Market. In this incredible section of the broader Spitalfields Market, you can find all sorts of fantastic original and reproduced art.
Whether you're looking for a finishing touch to your living room or uni-dorm, or the perfect present for your artsy friend or family member, the chances are you'll be able to find something brilliant here.
Throughout the different days of the Market, you'll always find one constant; delicious food and drink from the food markets at Spitalfields. The food sellers at Spitalfields Market are from all over the world, with an incredible range of foods to love.
There's so much variety; you could eat at Spitalfields every day for an entire month and always have something new to try. From traditional stalls to family-friendly restaurants, there are many different ways to find something great to eat when you're at Spitalfields Market. The Market has plenty of benches and picnic areas to enjoy your meals. Some of the best green spaces in East London can also be found just a short walk from the bustling Market.
Amazing stalls aren't the only exciting thing to be found at Spitalfields Market. This London market is also home to some incredible events throughout the year. It's Spitalfields' way of giving back and getting involved with the local community. Previous events have included Spitalfields Winter Market, Bollywood dance classes, and performances by local musicians.
Spitalfields Market is also a fantastic place to visit to enjoy breath-taking public art. Visual artists from all across the globe are invited to display their work in the large open spaces of the Market, and they do not disappoint. The art at Spitalfields can challenge preconceptions and break new ground in the artistic world. The public art on display changes regularly, and it's always a must-see during any visit to the Market.
What to know before you go
- Spitalfields Market opening times can vary based on which particular market is on that day. The Market always closes at 5pm, and generally opens at 10am. On Sundays, the Traders' Market will open at 9am. The Arts Market opens at 11am.
- The permanent restaurants and shops can have different opening times to the market stalls; the shops generally stay open until 7 pm, and the restaurants will be open until 11pm.
- There are public toilets in nearby Lamb Street. The bathrooms are accessible and include baby changing facilities.
- Spitalfields Market is accessible for wheelchair users and buggies. The ground in the Market is level, and there are lots of benches where you can eat food from the Market located nearby.
- Spitalfields Market is in the Shoreditch area of London.
- The nearest car park for Spitalfields Market is the Truman Brewery car park, which is located on nearby Brick Lane.
- Spitalfields Market is easily accessible by public transport. For the London Underground, the nearest Tube Station is Liverpool Street Station, which is a five-minute walk away and is served by the Central, Circle, Metropolitan, and Hammersmith and City lines. Aldgate East Tube Station is a seven-minute walk away from the Market and is on the District and Hammersmith and City lines.
- Liverpool Street station also has rail services. There's also Moorgate Station, which is a 14-minute walk away from Spitalfields Market.
- There are plenty of bus routes that have stops within a few minutes' walk of Spitalfields Market. These routes include the 8, 11, 26, 35, 42, 47, 78, 135, 149, 205, and 388.