- Learn about the animal kingdom and the importance of insects and minibeasts in our eco-system.
- Kids can handle and pet the animals, including stick insects and millipedes!
- Face your fears by holding a furry tarantula.
- Explore the town of Kettering and discover it's fascinating history.
If you've been on the lookout for fantastic child-friendly things to do in Northamptonshire, look no further than the brilliant Bugtopia. If your kids love animals and learning about the natural world, a visit to Bugtopia Kettering is the perfect place to find out more about our favourite members of the animal kingdom. And if the idea of bugs makes you squirm, worry not! There are plenty of animals to meet, and they're not all the teeny type.
Bugtopia, also known as Bugtopia the Zoo, is a hands-on experience unlike any other. Located in the Newlands shopping centre in Kettering, what better way to sprinkle some fun and education into a trip to the shops or day out? From tarantulas, stick insects, to millipedes, there is a chance to hold and meet all the animals that call Bugtopia home, and the whole family can learn a little bit more about the natural world. Voted Kettering's top attraction by Tripadvisor, Bugtopia is certainly not a location to be missed, and the unique insect experience is also one of our favourite things to do in Kettering.
Once you arrive at Bugtopia, there are so many things to learn and bugs to meet! Each visit will give you an hour slot of time you can spend handling and meeting the animals. If you or your kids are a little nervous about getting so close to the insects, that's no problem, as the keepers won't put any pressure on you and are there to make your experience comfortable and fun. If you've been looking for zoos near Northampton without the pressure of a full day out, this mini zoo experience is a safe and fun way to meet animal pals when you visit Rutland.
If all the animal socialising makes you a little peckish, look no further than the Newlands Shopping Centre, where you can find cafes and restaurants to suit every taste. Bugtopia is also very close to the centre of Kettering town, where you'll find everything from chain restaurants to local eateries. Alternatively, if you choose to bring your own food, there are plenty of parks and green spaces where you can settle down and enjoy a picnic.
If you and your kids had a great visit to Bugtopia, and are looking for some more fantastic days out in Northamptonshire, make sure to check out the beautiful gardens at Rockingham Castle in Market Harborough, or take the kids for a great run around at Abington Park in Northampton.
What to know before you go
- Bugtopia Kettering opening times are from 10am-5pm on Monday, Thursday and Friday, 10:30am-4pm on Saturday and Sunday, and 10am-4pm on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Newlands Centre is accessible for buggies and wheelchairs, and the first Sunday of every month is known as 'Sensory Sundays', where the music in the centre is turned off. Shopping is made easier for those with additional needs.
- Toilets, including accessible toilets, baby changing areas and a breastfeeding area are all available on site.
- Bugtopia is located in Newlands Shopping Centre in central Kettering, which is easy to get to from the town centre.
- Newlands Shopping Centre has a dedicated multi-storey car park with prices that vary from £1.50 for 2 hours, to £5 for the day. There is also electric car charging available at the car park.
- The closest train station is Kettering Station; just a 10 minute walk away. There are also multiple bus stops throughout Kettering if you wish to travel by bus.