- Explore the four elements, Air, Earth, Fire and Water at the four pavilions.
- Discover the historic steel mills of Yorkshire.
- Get wet at the water play zone, AQUA-TEK.
Are you looking for day-trip inspiration in the North of England? Whether you're looking for family-friendly days out in Yorkshire or things to do in Rotherham, there's so much to choose from. If you like the idea of taking the family somewhere they can learn as well as play, then the Magna Science Adventure Centre in Rotherham is for you.
Magna Science Adventure Centre is a fun and interactive experience, where you can explore science and technology in four different areas based on the core elements of air, earth, fire and water. These element-themed pavilions reference the history of Yorkshire's steel industry, which goes all the way back to Roman times, when iron was made using processes that harnessed these four key elements. At the Air Pavilion, explore air through a range of interactive exhibits, create patterns with air cannons, play with a tornado and learn how sound is made. Children can put on their hard hats and get stuck in at the hands-on Earth Pavilion, which is great for role play. There are games, JCBs and rock sorters, and kids can control machinery, move rocks and even (safely) explode a quarry face! The heat is on in the incredible Fire Pavilion where kids can create a fire tornado, melt steel with an electric arc furnace, shape crystals and discover how heat causes change. Then it's time to cool down at the Water Pavilion! Housed in a giant steel wave, a variety of interactive exhibits help kids to explore the power of water.
If the pavilions weren't enough, Magna Science Adventure is also home to The Big Melt. This incredible show brings the world of Yorkshire's historic steel mills to life. Featuring light, sound and special effects, alongside a specially created electric arc furnace, The Big Melt tells the story of the mighty ‘Steelos’ and its workers. The show is 12 minutes long and runs at regular intervals throughout the day - don't forget to ask for showtimes at reception on arrival.
You'll also find outdoor play zones, AQUA-TEK and SCI-TEK, for some science-themed fun. AQUA-TEK is one of the UK’s largest outdoor water play zones and is suitable for kids of all ages. There are water cannons, spray arches, dumping buckets and water wheels for children to splash and explore. Remember to bring a swimming costume, towel and a change of clothes. SCI-TEK, an impressive outdoor adventure play area, is suitable for kids of all ages and is designed to encourage them to learn as they play. It features various science and technology inspired equipment from spinning bowls and tilted roundabouts to twisted slides, rockets and castles.
What to know before you go
- Magna Science Adventure Centre is open daily from 10am – 5pm during the summer season.
- You can also buy Outdoors Only tickets for the SCI-TEK and AQUA-TEK areas at the door.
- Due to the nature of the exhibits, Magna advises that you wear clothing suitable for outdoor temperatures.
- On-site toilets and baby-changing facilities are available.
- The café has moved from its usual location in the Red Hall, but is open as normal.
- Magna is wheelchair and pushchair accessible.
- Pedestrian access is available from Sheffield Road.
- If you are driving, from the M1 take Junction 33 if you are travelling from the south and Junction 34 if you are travelling from the north. Magna is about one mile from Meadowhall Shopping Centre.
- There is plenty of free parking on site.
- By bus, the X1 Steel Link service drops visitors right outside Magna, up to every 10 mins.
- By train, the most convenient train stations to use are Rotherham Central, Sheffield and Meadowhall. From the station, we recommend you take the X1 bus directly to Magna.